INTERACTIONS WITH POLICE WHILE LAWFULLY CARRYING.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    I've never heard of an officer dismantling a gun. If it's illegal I'm sure they would drop the magazine or otherwise unload it to make it safe but to do otherwise would be asking for some serious liability issues. I can only imagine his supervisor getting a bill for some gunsmithing. I think there's more here than is being told.

Fishers does it with some regularity, IF they take it, they give it back in separate envelopes when you go to pick it up.

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    Fishers does it with some regularity, IF they take it, they give it back in separate envelopes when you go to pick it up.

"...when you go to pick it up." Huh?

You mean that the Fishers PD will confiscate a legally-owned gun from a citizen during a routing traffic stop and KEEP IT, making the owner go to the PD to retrieve it in pieces?

JC PAINT WORKZ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I have been pulled over several times in the past while carrying my weapon in the vehicle and having a Permit. (at the time it was considered a permit not license). I showed the officer he immediatly asks where the weapon is. I told him. He then explains he will get the firearm and inspect it. He takes it back to the car and brings it back unloaded and in many pieces. This has happened to me all but 1 time. I used to get pulled over for petty things like car being too low (air ride suspension) wheels being too big (yea 20" wheels considered too big, even though they come factory with 20's now) and of course the stereo. But to the poster that states he's never had a gun dismantled they do dismantle them a lot more then you think. It was apart full field strip barrel, guide rod everything but the trigger mech was taken apart.

Bang-bang

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Indy/Homeplace/Carmel
    I had a ISP trooper stop me for my speed, and he saw my pink slip. Then he asked about weapons, I told him "many in the truck been shooting all day." "Mine is on my right side", he ordered it from me to check my ltch. Then return it unloaded and mag empty too. Such a waste of time, I had my back up and 2 other people in the truck were legal to carry also. Just seemed like a power trip

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I had a ISP trooper stop me for my speed, and he saw my pink slip. Then he asked about weapons, I told him "many in the truck been shooting all day." "Mine is on my right side", he ordered it from me to check my ltch. Then return it unloaded and mag empty too. Such a waste of time, I had my back up and 2 other people in the truck were legal to carry also. Just seemed like a power trip

Why's he need your gun to check your pink slip?

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    That's the assumption a lot of them make... They take the gun they see/know of and then assume it's the only one you have.

Wonder what they would say if, after you were free to go, you told the officer "Thanks for unloading my main gun, thankfully my back-up gun remained holstered and loaded. Have a nice day."

eagles1911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    i guess it all depends on where you live. in my town the cops hate guns and weapons, and with me being 18 they are even more suspicious. I've been pulled over 3 times and two of them were for "suspected DUI" and every time they have asked about weapons and made me put hands on the dash while they take out all my knives. One time I had a handgun, I have a permit, and he freaked out even more and made me hand it over to him while he questioned me as to why I carried it. Then my family in a more gun friendly community has never had any issues at all with carrying and getting pulled over.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I find it interesting that a guy comes to those he respects enough to ask a legitimate question and he gets flamed. So what if his grammar isn't perfect. Or if he says permit instead of licence. Is INGO guys who love guns or a bunch of anal English teachers? What I think is really funny is all the ones that say this never happens, then you get several stories of similar problems. Ever eaten crow? There are a lot of great LEOs out there and they have a tough job. It's a choice. I have met a bunch more that are jerks and need to find a different profession. Think before you flame. You only make yourself look like you where trying to make the OP look. Oh and It's late, so I'm not going to proof read, so if you find any grammar problems, feel free to flame if it makes you feel extra intelligent.

Last edited:

infiremedic07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    Lapel/Noblesville
    I find it interesting that a guy comes to those he respects enough to ask a legitimate question and he gets flamed. So what if his grammer isn't perfect. Or if he says permit instead of licence. Is INGO guys who love guns or a bunch of anal English teachers? What I think is really funny is all the ones that say this never happens, then you get several stories of similar problems. Ever eaten crow? There are a lot of great LEOs out there and they have a tough job. It's a choice. I have met a bunch more that are jerks and need to find a different profession. Think before you flame. You only make yourself look like you where trying to make the OP look. Oh and It's late, so I'm not going to proof read, so if you find any grammer problems, feel free to flame if it makes you feel extra intelligent.
    It is spelled "grammar".
    Sorry couldn't resist....I tried but failed miserably.

10mmfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    I apologize for quoting wrong Indiana firearms code. This is the code I meant to mention:
    I C 35-47-11.1-2. I believe this statute forbids countys and municipalities from setting their own firearms laws including firearm registries. I apologize for typing in wrong statute and I may be entirely wrong since I don't read state laws and codes regularly. To my mind however, I believe that's what it means. That is what I was referring to in my earlier post.

Top Bottom