INTERACTIONS WITH POLICE WHILE LAWFULLY CARRYING.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Judy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2011
    This is a little bit different circumstance but a few years ago a neighbors pit bull was after me I was armed (because of this animal) and fired a warning shot. The neighbor called the sheriff and when he arrived he ask for my gun, that was in a holster, I removed the mag and the round in the chamber and gave it to him. He called in the serial number, gave the gun back to me and left. I just figured he was making sure it wasn't stolen.

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    :popcorn: You are about to be raked over the coals for many things....punctuation and spelling, concealed carry permit, paragraph structure, search function, us versus them, training, etc....

Not hatin' just sayin'.

In other words, welcome to the circle jerk.:ingo:

jb1911

Expert
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Dyer, IN
    Tell you what if i was a cop and pulled someone over an they had a gun i surely would ask to inspect for my safety .Think about it would you trust a pink piece of paper from someone you have never seen before on the side of a road .Most cops are like garbage men cleaning up the human garbage that they come in contact with so don't be offened .

It goes, "word comma space word" and "word period space space word".

Anyway ... when I first saw that the title of this thread was in all caps I was not expecting much. I was right.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I have never had an officer ask for my weapon with the exception of once during a traffic stop over 15 years ago, and then only because he spotted it and I had not mentioned anything about it.

But I was also pulled over during another traffic stop where the officer never asked any weapons related questions at all, although he had asked me where I was going and I told him I was on my way to sign in for opening day of shotgun season (deer) - so he knew there was at least one gun in the vehicle.

I have had four other non-traffic-related encounters with LEOs during the past year, once in a jewelry store, once at a Meijer's store, once while out riding bicycles with my wife, once while out jogging. In every one of these cases I was OCing, in none of these cases did any of the officers question me regarding my sidearm or even ask any firearms related questions.

katfishinking

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    southwestern ind.
    I have never been asked for my weapon either. one time while fishing, a CO asked for my fishing lic. since I had my XDs on my right side, I told him so. that way when I went for my wallet, he would not think I was going for it. I showed him fish lic. and my handgun lic. he then asked what kind of sidearm I carried. I told him, he had never saw one, so I offered to show him mine. I turned away from him, unholstered, removed mag. and chambered round, then let him see it. he seemed impressed. I think he actually liked it. he gave it back, I loaded it and put it away. he stood and talked for several minutes before leaving. I think attitude can make a difference. JMO.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    You are about to be raked over the coals for many things....punctuation and spelling, concealed carry permit, paragraph structure, search function, us versus them, training, etc....

Not hatin' just sayin'.

:lol2:

And don't forget wrong section/subforum!

The most recent MWAG conflict I've had did not involve any disarming.

How will inspecting someone's firearm see to your safety? Are you going to confiscate it if it doesn't have a safety or if there's a round chambered? How exactly will taking a firearm from someone with a license to carry and finger-banging it for a couple minutes do anything at all for your safety?
    No kidding! How is coonfingering my gun safe? If the LEO gets my gun, then I should get his. It's common courtesy!

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    FIFY. :D

One space after sentences is the rule these days.

:ingo:

Yeah, that seems to be the case. However, I'm too old to change now. I will continue to double-space after periods. Period.

In fact, I would TRIPLE-SPACE if I could make myself do it. Unfortunately, my OCD kicks in and I hit the backspace key every time. :D

kjf40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Lake county
    I have to give Kudos to BIGKAT9, through all the flaming and stupid posts he kept his cool.

You showed you can take it....lol

I give you a rep for that bro. :rockwoot:

10mmfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    You are correct. I never had a gun disassembled but I was once given my pistol back with magazine out of it and all my ammo out of the mag so I had 16 loose .40 rounds handed back to me.

Pyriel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Carmel
    I've never had a LEO handle my firearms, they usually just seem to want to get me on my way as quickly as possible.

nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    Most accidental discharges happen when unholstering, holstering, or cleaning a firearm. Doesn't make sense to start handling it unless there is a perceived threat in someone.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I JUST HAVE TO SAY I CAME IN THIS THREAD DUE TO THE ALL-CAPITAL SUBJECT LINE. NOW THAT I AM HERE, I AM DISAPPOINTED THE POST IS NOT ALSO ALL-CAPS SO I AM LEAVING THIS THREAD.

[p.s. no need for all-caps, it's rude.]

sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    I JUST HAVE TO SAY I CAME IN THIS THREAD DUE TO THE ALL-CAPITAL SUBJECT LINE. NOW THAT I AM HERE, I AM DISAPPOINTED THE POST IS NOT ALSO ALL-CAPS SO I AM LEAVING THIS THREAD.

[p.s. no need for all-caps, it's rude.]

What? I can't hear you... Unless, YOU TYPE LIKE THIS! :D :laugh:

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Indiana Code 35-47-11.1-3 if I am reading the statute correctly.

I'm confused as to what you are trying to say this statute says.

IC 35-47-11.1-3
    Voidance of political subdivision ordinances, measures, enactments, rules, policies, and exercises of proprietary authority
    Sec. 3. Any provision of an ordinance, measure, enactment, rule, or policy or exercise of proprietary authority of a political subdivision or of an employee or agent of a political subdivision acting in an official capacity:
    (1) enacted or undertaken before, on, or after June 30, 2011; and
    (2) that pertains to or affects the matters listed in section 2 of this chapter;
    is void.
    As added by P.L.152-2011, SEC.4.

DC47374

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Richmond, IN
    I guess i should have said hold said firearm till traffic stop complete for my own safety because i don't know who i'm dealing with ,sorry i guess i am not Johny Cochrane I also think that a Ltch should be more like a DL or credit card then a cheap piece of pink paper
    So apparently because you would be a police officer that would allow you to steal? Interesting thought process...because apparently the 4th Amendment means next to nothing to you. I'll let you know when your irrational fears trump my Constitutional rights.

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    I was stopped by local PD at 5am. several years ago for speeding. I was drinking coffee and heading to a tree stand.
    When the officer arrived at my window I had my hands on the steering wheel and my dome light on. After handing him the required papers he asked me where my weapon was. I said "in my door panel". He said "leave it there".
    He came back, gave me my papers and gave me a verbal warning.
    +1 to that officer. He could have gave me a ticket, disassembled my gun and.......well you know the rest.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Ok, for my own education, and maybe some others on here, how would you handle the situation if a LEO told you he wanted your firearm during a routine stop? I can hear the words, "for my safety, as well as yours" coming out of a LEO's mouth. If the LEO is that inexperienced/unsecure/uneducated on the law/rights, I could see the situation quickly escalating when John Q. Public with a valid LTCH refuses to hand over said weapon.
    Hand it over and then file a complaint after the fact? Request a supervisor to the scene? Calmly try to make your point to the officer?
    Really interested in what others have to say about this one.

Top Bottom