• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I don't really plan on going out much unless I have to if there is a breakdown of society. Another important prep item that can be had cheaply are books and board games to occupy yourself and younger children. Also, a good home library is a must regardless of the situation in the world but could come in handy in an emergency. The computers will be down so having medical, food, survival, and construction books will be a great plus to any preppers stash.

Happyguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2010
    Is it possible that this person has a dry and somewhat warped sense of humor? He might not be so bad after you get to know him better.

Indiana_Dave

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    I think it is important to share prepping ideas here. Ideally, everyone in America would have a year's worth of food, medicine, etc., and then no one would be a threat to us or our families. (I do not condone anyone's plans for "living off the land" that is not theirs - shtf or not.)

That said, I think it's important not to share ideas for defense here. Remember, some of the most dangerous people in your neck of the woods might be on this forum. Think of unique ways to guard you, yours, and your preps and get ready to do it, but do not alert anyone of those ideas.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I think it is important to share prepping ideas here. Ideally, everyone in America would have a year's worth of food, medicine, etc., and then no one would be a threat to us or our families. (I do not condone anyone's plans for "living off the land" that is not theirs - shtf or not.)

That said, I think it's important not to share ideas for defense here. Remember, some of the most dangerous people in your neck of the woods might be on this forum. Think of unique ways to guard you, yours, and your preps and get ready to do it, but do not alert anyone of those ideas.

That is something the MSG's are working at. We have met to learn from each other on methods that are better for prepping and plans for keeping your family going after a major event. I am not to worried about people around me who advertise their plan of stealing or violence as they can be seen coming but rather those who keep their plans quiet are what scare me. Also, I worry about how many family and "friends" will come knocking in a crisis event.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Also, I worry about how many family and "friends" will come knocking in a crisis event.

all the ones you know and then the ones you dont know :):

basicly look at people who win the lottery and all the people who come out of the woodwork. thats what will happen when SHTF if people know you have food.
    Only a select few ever even get a taste of my true plans and preps. when SHTF and a buddy comes knocking on my door that was never my buddy before or has nothing ot contribute (a skill, etc), then he will get turned away, period. im not a food pantry. once you give one thing away, you have just showed everyone that if you can afford to give up food you must have plenty that your not giving and they will come steal it. NO ONE outside your inner circle can be fully trusted when SHTF. the time for compassion is OVER.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

I have read all 17 pages of this so far and am quite amazed to see that some types of looters have been completely overlooked.

Before I get into what (and whom) I believe has been overlooked I think we can mostly agree that most folks are not as prepared as they "should" be for many things.

I have a friend who drove to work at the steel mill every day in an older car while making good money. According to him his coworkers would chide him about why he didn't get a new car. His explanation was always the same, "I can't afford it." When pressed further, he would go into: saving for retirement, saving for his childrens college, saving for emergencies, etc. At the time he didn't have any children because "I can't afford them right now." In other words he was creating college funds for children he didn't even have. Rather, he was "prepping" for the future. He now has two (2) wonderful children who are on track w/ a savings plan already in place for them.

How many people do you know that have had children before prepping to have children? And the worst part is, this is a major life changing event that CAN BE planned for AND timed for, yet most do not.

So it is the same with others who fail to plan for SHTF moments. Looters will come with a host of different mentalities and agendas, many of which will blur and overlap. A mother trying to feed her children may be initially motivated for the basics then become greedy. Someone may plan on taking more than they need and get a guilty conscience, later working to earn their keep.

No matter how well any of us plan there are always unforeseen variables that cannot be factored into the equation. Those of us who start out with the attitude of "I have prepped and sacrificed to survive, to heck with all the rest" may wind up showing more mercy and compassion than we had planned on. At the same time those who plan on helping who they can may be burned initially by some jackass and have their heart turn cold. Who can say what all of us will do?

When I was in bootcamp many years ago our Drill Instructor told us never to assume how anyone would react. According to him the platoon F...up could win the Congressional Medal of Honor while the platoon leader could wind up cowering in a ditch. You never really know someone until the pressure is on.

Even then, you will see some people who are calm and relaxed under the worst pressure imaginable crack horribly under some other pressure that you wouldn't think would bother them.

Now to get to return to my initial surprise at this oversight on this thread: What do you do when the "looter" is wearing an American flag on one arm and rank on his collar? Imagine the following speech being given, "Good morning. I am Capt. Umptyscrunch of the 3rd !%!#$%% Battalion. This area is under martial law. Accordingly, we are gathering food for government redistribution. You will all hand over ten (10) cans of food or you homes will be searched. Failure to comply will result in summary arrest and confiscation of all property during this crisis. Thank you for your cooperation (I hear the police voice from "The 5th Element":D)

Capt. Umptyscrunch is not a rogue unit. He is a lawful representative of the State/Federal government. If pressed he will simply explain that, "I am just following orders. If you don't like it take it up with your elected official."

If you care to fight you will probably loose, at least in the beginning. You may take some with you but I will presume your demise. Even if you win your will certainly suffer losses and if nothing else mark yourself as a potential trouble maker to whatever authority remains.

Or, what if Capt. Umptyscrunch IS a rogue unit taking advantage of a bad situation. He may not have started out bad, but as time has worn on and he sees less hope of a restoration of order he will take care of his family and his unit first.

My thought in a large SHTF situation is that it will ALWAYS be preferable to have strength through numbers! Even if you are not living next to one another. The ability to quickly respond to friends and neighbors in force will facilitate a quick return to some semblance of civilization and order.

Regarding the turning away of people you should always ask, "What can you do?" I would dare say that I would be far more willing to help a Dentist or an Electrician over a book keeper or a lawyer, all things being equal.

I also think it would be best to help everyone you could to the degree that you could. You never know how far a small act of kindness or compassion can repay you in the long run. If nothing else you will have a good reputation and that can be worth more than all the food or guns you own!!!

Imagine two scenarios: The first is the neighborhood survivalist who is a complete jackass, but his is well prepared and his family will survive! If you didn't prep, too damn bad, you're on your own. Now imagine the neighborhood helper, didn't do much preparation but is always willing to help folks as best he/she can. When neighbors see looters sneaking up to attack a house who do you think is more likely to get help? Who is most likely to be warned? Who is most likely to have information shared with them?

In the end we all have a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde inside each and every one of us. My hope is that we all allow our greater angels of morality to rule most of the time and only pull out Mr. Hyde in the most dire of emergencies.

Regards,

Doug

Last edited:

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    well in all honesty, im bugging out. so if someone finds me that knows me then they have been told to come there. sure Lib, i agree that a lot will not know how they will react and i have seen examples of this first hand. Its amazing how many people will step up to the plate when they believe they will die. also some will tuen into criminals. I am all for a barter system, but no way is it going past my inner circle in the first month of the crisis.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Over the years I've been quite surprised by the sorts of people who have expressed the exact same sort of "marauder mentality" when the topic of SHTF/EOTWAWKI is discussed.

There are simply some folks who cannot be trusted, the guy in the OP's story has clearly indicated that he is one of those people.

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    I remember not so long ago one of us came across as one that might need further watching. Your tone has mellowed to one of leadership and last resort.

With that attitude and being part of some form of MSG I believe that last resort will be miles down the road.

If people work willingly together it will not be a matter of taking from anotherbut become a place of refuge for all those willing to stand shoulder to shoulder proctecting the groups prosperity against those that seek to take.

Throughout history there have been tyrants and those that wished to enslave and rule their world or even small fiefdom.

Throughout the ages there has been no shortage of martyrs and heroes to stand opposed to them.

When the boogie man comes knocking man and woman eventually band together to topple the despotic, dictators and kings.

Often with the aid of faith and strength of heart and will of character.

This is why movies and writings of heroic struggles in history call to our hearts.

Who among us watches the legends of battles grown mythical in proportions and doesn't wish to be William Wallace, Maximilian or Leonitus and part of that "300"?

Societies or cultures will rise and fall but until nature exterminates the last of us into extinction, there will always by those willing to take the spoils of our labor and strong people they deem weak will always find a way to oppose and overthrow them.

We think, plan and love our families too much for it to be any other way.

Those that wish to rule, subjugate or harm us will never succeed forever because of that bond we have and the conviction in our character.

Believe in God, atheist or in between there are myths, writings, Scripture or even cave drawings to remind us that we will overcome our struggles and trials.

Proud to call some of you brothers. The rest will be tested and proofed to see which side of the battle you are on. Good vs. Bad?

Enough babbling for now. If you stuck with me this far, then be of good cheer for tomorrow we may die.

Top Bottom