• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    Always prepare for the worst and hope for the best!

This doesn't just apply to LEO's.

LEO's have to be on guard at all times and ready to react faster and swifter than anyone trying to attack them.

This either.

Contrary to popular myth LEO's don't have the most dangerous job. Their job isn't even in the list of the top ten most dangerous jobs. They aren't in danger of being attacked every second of every day.

How many LEO's were killed in the line of duty last year? 125. That's it. Just 125! & 58 were killed in traffic accidents not attacked like you seem to think. Only 49 were shot. The only number I could find for LEO population was: 941,139.

That leads to a death rate by firearm of .00005 or .005%

How many non-LEO's were murdered last year? 13,636

US population: 305,529,237

That is a rate of .004%

So it looks like it's not that much more dangerous being a cop than it is just being an average joe or jane. So why do we bend over backwards giving them extraordinary powers over us & use "officer safety" as an excuse?

I don't see why so many are bashing this LEO. He's not defending the LEOs involved in OP. Give him a break and bash the few involved.:twocents:

True but he has made some otherwise alarming statements. We don't owe him a break. I think we're using it as a "teachable moment". Whether the lesson sinks in or not is out of our control but we would be remiss to not give it in the first place.

Oh and police aren't our little worthless servants guys. They have families to and their first priority every day should be to make it home safely every night.

They absolutely aren't worthless. No one is. But they are in fact "our servants". They serve the community. They have taken an oath to defend the Constitution. They serve at our pleasure. Maybe not directly but through our elected leaders who oversee them.

There first priority is not "to go home safely every night". It is to uphold the oath that they took. I & many of the others of us here took a similar oath. We knew that it wasn't our first priority to make it home safely every night. It was to defend the Constitution. If we didn't make it home, so be it. That's what we volunteered for. Just like LEO's. The only difference is that LEO's can quit anytime they want. If they don't like the oath they took - then quit. If they can't treat the generally law-abiding people who they are supposed to serve with respect - then quit. If they don't like the fact that the Constitution puts limits on them (whether the courts are complicit in that or not) - then quit.

It really is that simple.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I think someone said it was an MP5, like the pic on the shirt.

If it was an MP5 like on the shirt, it is going to have a <16 inch barrel and so is a handgun under Indiana law and requires a LTCH.

IC 35-47-1-6
    "Handgun"
    Sec. 6. "Handgun" means any firearm:
    (1) designed or adapted so as to be aimed and fired from one (1) hand, regardless of barrel length; or
    (2) any firearm with:
    (A) a barrel less than sixteen (16) inches in length; or
    (B) an overall length of less than twenty-six (26) inches.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.

Joe

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Here you go. Digest some of this common sense article on the subject.

Marked for Death

You don't like Open Carry. Good for you. That's you're opinion and you're entitled to it. But having a tin badge doesn't entitle you to forcing your beliefs on the rest of us.

I don't arrogant police officers. However, you don't see me walking the streets arresting every one I see at the point of a gun either.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    You don't like Open Carry. Good for you. That's you're opinion and you're entitled to it. But having a tin badge doesn't entitle you to forcing your beliefs on the rest of us.

I don't arrogant police officers. However, you don't see me walking the streets arresting every one I see at the point of a gun either.

Sorry I was busy eating my eggs and bacon. That last part should have said:

I don't like arrogant police officers.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    Yes, you do have a job. First and foremost to uphold the Constitution of these United States and of the State of Indiana.

You swore an oath to that end.

It may be your priority, but see above.

The number one priority SHOULD BE defending the Constitutions you swore an oath to uphold.

If going home at night is job 1, you are violating your oath and need to quit and find another job.

sadly this isnt the norm, if it were, the BATFE, FBI,CIA, DHS, would arrest themselves, and local PD's would arrest the congressmen and most mayors/city councils in this country

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I'll discuss this with you next time we ride together. Should pass the time quite nicely :D

You got it buddy. The article is merely a different view point of things to consider. All well informed people IMO take a unbiased look at differing prospective s. The author did come on a little strong on some of his wording. But for the most part some valid considerations.

ProLibertate

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0

I think my badge is nickel plated, not tin...:dunno:
    Will you see it my way now? :D

All kidding aside, the OC/CC debate doesn't have anything to do with the price of eggs in China here.
    This type of prick waving bullying violation could have happened to anyone here is the point. The circumstances may be different, but it could have happened to someone CCing on a traffic stop or any number of ways. Although OC is obviously more high profile, it doesn't make it right that the officer involved in this incident essentially made up the playbook as he went along.
    I commend ATF Consumer for voicing his concerns, and urge others to do the same on their end.
    There are people who wear a badge to work that really do care about more than their own ego, I assure you. Unfortunately, the bad ones stand out and spark emotional debates that have a tendency to draw sides and alienate people who, by all rights, should be allies.

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Was that really necessary?
    Gross sweeping generalizations are seldom accurate, and certainly serve no purpose but to inflame.

Let's all try to rise above this, shall we?

Just calling it like I see it. I'm a life long good guy and my experience with with LE has been almost universally negative. I'm not going to pretend otherwise.

If you are an honorable person, you have my sincerest apologies. FWIW the rep you got from me was sincere, and it came before your last post.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I was listening to the press conference about the Officer Piland case today, and I believe it was the Chief that said "..we will not tolerate an us vs them mentality" and I immediately thought of this thread.
    Seems to me like it might be the right time for complaints to actually be heard...

03mustgt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Wow,

I really do not know what else to post up in this thread? I assure you all that I am more of an allie than an enemy to gun owners. To those who posted the negative comments and sarcastic remarks about my top priority being to go home at the end of the night, feels pretty good to armchair quarterback doesnt it?

I AM PREPARED TO LAY MY LIFE ON THE LINE IF I HAVE TO! My priority is to do everything I can to control a situation and keep it from coming to that point, However, If that point comes, I am prepared to lay my life on the line. If I wasnt I would not have raised my hand and swore an oath.

My priorities Innocents, Myself, Criminals. :patriot:

If anyone else wants to bash me then step in line!:rockwoot:

Last edited:

03mustgt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    This doesn't just apply to LEO's.

This either.

Contrary to popular myth LEO's don't have the most dangerous job. Their job isn't even in the list of the top ten most dangerous jobs. They aren't in danger of being attacked every second of every day.

How many LEO's were killed in the line of duty last year? 125. That's it. Just 125! & 58 were killed in traffic accidents not attacked like you seem to think. Only 49 were shot. The only number I could find for LEO population was: 941,139.

That leads to a death rate by firearm of .00005 or .005%

How many non-LEO's were murdered last year? 13,636

US population: 305,529,237

That is a rate of .004%

So it looks like it's not that much more dangerous being a cop than it is just being an average joe or jane. So why do we bend over backwards giving them extraordinary powers over us & use "officer safety" as an excuse?

True but he has made some otherwise alarming statements. We don't owe him a break. I think we're using it as a "teachable moment". Whether the lesson sinks in or not is out of our control but we would be remiss to not give it in the first place.

They absolutely aren't worthless. No one is. But they are in fact "our servants". They serve the community. They have taken an oath to defend the Constitution. They serve at our pleasure. Maybe not directly but through our elected leaders who oversee them.

There first priority is not "to go home safely every night". It is to uphold the oath that they took. I & many of the others of us here took a similar oath. We knew that it wasn't our first priority to make it home safely every night. It was to defend the Constitution. If we didn't make it home, so be it. That's what we volunteered for. Just like LEO's. The only difference is that LEO's can quit anytime they want. If they don't like the oath they took - then quit. If they can't treat the generally law-abiding people who they are supposed to serve with respect - then quit. If they don't like the fact that the Constitution puts limits on them (whether the courts are complicit in that or not) - then quit.

It really is that simple.

Wow...........:noway:

Top Bottom