INGO Handgun Classifieds Where are the deals, or at least common sense?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I will chime in. I have bought and sold guns and gear through INGO. I list a gun and within a couple days or usually the same day I have a buyer. I have never had anybody try to lowball me. Sometimes I get interesting trade offers but nothing that I would consider out of line. If I buy it is always for the listed price, otherwise I just move on.

My only rub is the travel. Yes I will sell guns for less then what I have in them because I am willing to take a small hit just for the opportunity to try something different. But I am not willing to drive halfway across the state burning $3 gas to sell my stuff. If I buy I will drive to meet you and make it convenient for you because I want what you have. If I sell I expect for you to meet me somewhere closer to where I am at. I might lower my price for you if you drive to my town to pick it up.

I have not sold any guns on INGO for a while. Now I just send a text out to my friends with the smokin deal I am offering. Somebody buys it immediately. Now if there is something my friends want they just let me known and I will find it for them at one of the 2 local shops or on the internet. And no this is not flipping or straw buying because I don't make a dime doing it and everyone one of these people can go to the shop and pick it up themselves. Even more recently I seem to be on everybodies sell list. I get texts all the time from people selling guns. If the price is fair I will buy it and then find a happy home for that poor unloved gun. I never keep them because I own very few guns and really do not care to have a safe full of stuff that I never use.

rbsangler

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Lizton
    I will agree that some folks don't have any sense: A 5K Honda isn't worth 20K b/c you added a Turbonetics T3 on it. If anything it's now worth LESS than 5K due to wear and tear just added.

Some folks don't understand the concept that firearms are just like cars: You take it off the lot, even if you don't fire it, it's used. Working at a gunshop before, I saw it all the time: Guy buys a gun, takes it home, wife flips out, takes it back into the shop then becomes ravenously angry that I won't give him his money back or if I am willing to give him cash back (despite their tirade that rapidly diminishes my patience), it's FAR less than he paid (about half).

The influx of new shooters, owners and new people to "the gun games" aren't going to know this. There isn't anything in the FAQ on INGO about gun pricing. There are no laws on gun pricing. They don't teach it in core curriculum at school. It's often bereft in bar room palaver. And people have little if any genetic history about a Glock being $400 used rather than $599. If you think any of the above is true, then I have a bridge in Brooklyn you can buy...

On the inverse, however, we have an influx of people that aren't willing to listen to things like safety rules, have mental issues, or see it as another "profit route" for them, such as the flippers. The panics bring out the worst and realistically, people new to the game think their gun is worth more b/c they saw what they went for when the panic was full on. They see how Gander Mountain pricing actually still attracts folks (the store is always busy) so they price accordingly. They haven't learned as we have that fire is hot and should have to learn the way we did: They price high, they won't sell.

The other side of the coin has become hard as well: I sell a Glock for $400, I will now have at least two morons per sale that will ask if I will take $250 for it, thinking that horse trading works with all people. Their market experience is based on horse trading, start low and meet inbetween, not understanding that at the price I put the weapon at that I have TONS of PMs on it and will disregard or treat an offer such as their $250 billing with disdain. But the sheer volume of these offers, lowballers as such, is disgusting. Since we have been inundated with "new members" it's become increasingly difficult to sell ANYTHING, people just want to look at pictures of guns and make idiotic offers, not understanding that I am selling a gun to send money to my Mom who is struggling with bills from the .gov shutdown, or needed for a project or that the excitement of the industry has waned for some due to this tsunami of stupid.

You don't have to buy. You don't have a moral obligation to "teach them a lesson" by demeaning them if they don't sell at a price you feel is fair. But don't waste other's time with whining about pricing or wanting pics of a gun that you really don't want to buy, just bored.
    Do you place the word "firm" after you listed price? Everytime? It is simple, and it let's you avoid people who always try and horse trade. They are simply trying to get their best deal, not insult you, i am sure.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    indydrew1, I decided to take a few minutes and look at your profile. You joined us 8/29/13 and immediately went to the classifieds. You did most of your transactions in Sept. and Oct. some within days of joining. It seems to me like you must like the classifieds. I did also look at what you sold your Glocks for, I don't think you gave anyone a smoking deal either.
    You did not over price, but you certainly didn't give any away either.
    As far as your opinion on the current state of the classifieds, they have always been about the same. Yes there are some over priced guns in both sections. And most of us on here do our home work on what items are worth, the guy running the 2 HK 91's in the long guns is way out of touch. I had a good friend of mine struggle to get $2000 out of one not too long ago.
    He would be lucky to get $1800 to $2000 out of them. I don't think anyone on here is going to come close to his asking prices or $2700 and $2800.
    But no doubt he will just keep bumping them over and over until he realizes he is way to high on them.
    He may or may not figure it out, but it's not my place or anyone Else's to tell him what to price them at. Anyway, I doubt it will change, people will price their guns, ammo and accessories at what they feel they are worth, the ones priced right usually sell within a few days of being posted.

The number of wannabe semi-pro-traders :rolleyes:, flippers and those with no real skin in the INGO game has increased a bunch. Remember that it takes next to nothing to get into dealing in the INGO classifieds. 45 BS one-liner posts, containing just enough relevance to fly under the radar, combined with the last 5 acting like you might actually participate in this discussion forum can be accomplished in an hour.

I'm always suspect of relative newbies with low post counts who start threads complaining about the classifieds. Remember the juvenile who started a thread complaining (last year I think,) who wasn't even old enough to to make some of the purchases that he had made?

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    I have stumbled upon a few classified posts where the seller had been a member for a year or more and only had like 56 posts. Im sorry, but I wouldnt buy anything sold by someone like that. I like the idea of the classifieds being a place where all of the people who come here to talk about our similar interests, can offer items for trade or sale among ourselves. I dont consider 50 posts, to mean anything at all. If you dont want to be here for any other reason than to sell stuff, go to armslist.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    At some point those firearms will start to make money look at the Mosins. It may take 10 years or so but at some point they become like classic cars and start to turn around.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I've seen the same crazy high asking prices and I just ignore them. When I do see a deal I jump on them, as they tend to go quick. Even only being here a little over a month, I'm doing my best to learn and be a responsible netizen :)

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I have stumbled upon a few classified posts where the seller had been a member for a year or more and only had like 56 posts. Im sorry, but I wouldnt buy anything sold by someone like that. I like the idea of the classifieds being a place where all of the people who come here to talk about our similar interests, can offer items for trade or sale among ourselves. I dont consider 50 posts, to mean anything at all. If you dont want to be here for any other reason than to sell stuff, go to armslist.
    Why do they have to go somewhere else? The owner of the site has made it possible for them to pay site supporter fee and be able to post immediately after joining. It's not up to you to determine who's allowed to be here and who's not. The more members selling the more chance to get better deals.

and yes gander mountain is run by a bunch of politically motivated gun grabbing price gouging commies. Who hire staff with a pulse and no customer service skills. I didn't stu stu stutter

StuBob

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Freedom from sales tax is a good thing.
    Buying from a non-dealer is a good thing.

If the going new price for a given gun is, say, $500, I'm willing to pay well over $400 for a shiny used one.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    And yes gander mountain is run by a bunch of politically motivated gun grabbing price gouging commies. Who hire staff with a pulse and no customer service skills. I didn't stu stu stutter

I actually wonder if it's a requirement. I applied and they turned me down. They said I didn't have enough experience dealing with people in a business setting. You know, only 2 and a half years in retail, plus 6 months in a restaurant, and a year on an ambulance. So 4 years total of dealing with the public. :n00b:

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I see a very big diffrence between INGO where you have to make 50 posts, its heavily moderated, and its all gun people who mostly know the law. And a completely unmoderated (for the most part) board filled with anybody. I understand it does not take much for someone to lie/fake get to 50 posts on INGO, but it seems far safer to me then Craigslist. It may just be perception.

As for skipping over, I do. And there are plenty of deals and fair prices in the forum. My only point was it seems like lately there is more crazy crap then normal. I wondered if this and to do with the scare and people now trying to dump there guns they overpaid for in time for Christmas cash.

Sorry just saw this.

Craigslist is nothing more than Armslist minus the firearms. Do you have a problem with Armslist as well? I have no problem with there being a firearms section on Craigslist. Are there shady people who deal there? Yes. But there are some on Armslist and I'm sure there are at least a few on INGO. We don't have background checks here, so there's no way of telling if you, who seem like a nice enough guy, or I are actually on the up and up. There are ways of lowering the chance of an illegal sell, but nothing is one hundred percent. I could have a rapsheet as long as a bus, with a printer at home, I now could make a fake LTCH. You could potentially sell to me and break the law without giving it a second thought. Same with Armslist and Craigslist.

Let's say I sell a car on Craigslist to a guy who was convicted 4 times of OVWI. He goes out and kills someone while drinking and driving.

You sell to a guy on INGO/Armslist who has a fake LTCH and 3 robbery and battery convictions. He in turn goes and robs a store and kills someone.

Who is worse? Me who sold to a guy who kills someone with a car or you who sells to a guy who kills someone with a gun? There is no difference between here or Craigslist except for a couple of facts. The first being that we consider ourselves up to date with the law, which multiple posts on here will make you reconsider that thought. The second being that we consider ourselves a "community." We're willing to go out and help each other, meet with each other to have lunch or go shooting. There are only a few on here that if I saw I would recognize. Otherwise, we're all anonymous names and posts, just like Craigslist. We won't report a post just because it's a firearm, we will however report posts that we feel are against the rules, just like on Craigslist. Unlike Craigslist though, if someone reports a post it is investigated. It isn't automatically taken down to appease the masses. The only REAL difference is that we all share a common interest.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    INGO got big. And when a forum gets big, the number of members peddling their wares at ridiculous prices goes up. It's the nature of the beast.

Ever looked at Armslist? Good Lord that site is chock full of stupid. Good deals are still there- you just have to wait and/or wade through the garbage.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    If I may add a bit of advice... if you are meeting up to do a deal, bring a clean gun to the table. It's no different than running the vacuum before a realtor brings someone to your house. Discriminating buyers know how to look under the hood.

bucncrazy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 12, 2013
    Plainfield
    Its great to by-pass the sales tax! Used is USED tho! You cant get MORE than new price.... atleast not from me.
    But then again we all have the right to ask what we want, and the right to ignore the high prices. these are luxury items It isnt like gas where were all screwed!
    But please quit putting firm on items then keep lowering or in the threads ask for offers....

Top Bottom