• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I finally managed to make it into week two of the Couch to 5k program.

I kept starting, then stalling out in week one so I would start over. I actually have made it through to Run 6 so far.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I finally managed to make it into week two of the Couch to 5k program.

I kept starting, then stalling out in week one so I would start over. I actually have made it through to Run 6 so far.

Awesome. My daughter ran one for where she worked and I joined. It was better to do it in a group. Where are you located?

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I get out some in the Winter as a friend of mine organizes Winter Hikes and I usually try to go. Some won't go because it is too cold, some won't go if it snows. I say, IT'S A WINTER HIKE! It's gonna be cold or snowy (hopefully).

[video=youtube_share;sNxbXzQytaM]http://youtu.be/sNxbXzQytaM[/video]

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Awesome. My daughter ran one for where she worked and I joined. It was better to do it in a group. Where are you located?

I'm in Fishers. I joined the YMCA there and just run on the treadmill. I'm not really training for a specific 5k, but just use the app to keep on a schedule. It keeps me accountable as I look to improve stamina and boost cardio level.

Depending on how it goes I will probably find one to run in come spring time.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I've been doing curls with a 30 lb dumbell for about 4 months. I do between 6 and 10 sets of 12 4 days a week. Last week my youngest Son bought a weight bench, with a 100lbs of weight, so today, I started doing 3 sets of 12 military press, and 3 sets of 12 flat bench press on top of 5 sets of 12 curls. It went pretty well, and I plan to do this 3 times per week, mon, wed, fri, while doing as much as I can on an elliptical on my non weight days. I have a job which requires a LOT of upper body strength, so the weights will actually work the muscles I don't use at work, I hope.

I'm really putting a lot of hope into the elliptical working out well for me, as I get winded really quick if I'm doing anything other than moving heavy stuff around.:): I want to lose about 25 lbs, 30-35 would be great. I'm 6'4" and weighed in yesterday at 276. I'd love to at least get to the point where I can hike trails in GSMNP in relative comfort.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I'm really putting a lot of hope into the elliptical working out well for me, as I get winded really quick if I'm doing anything other than moving heavy stuff around.:): I want to lose about 25 lbs, 30-35 would be great. I'm 6'4" and weighed in yesterday at 276. I'd love to at least get to the point where I can hike trails in GSMNP in relative comfort.

The elliptical machines intrigue me. I really don't like running, so when I'm not on the treadmill I usually ride the exercise bike but I find it much harder to get my heart rate up as high on the bike.

I've tried the elliptical machine a few times, but hasn't been able to get into a good rhythm on it yet.

Like you I need to drop at least 30 pounds. I'm 6'2" 260. I thought it was bad when I hit 250, hitting 260 was a real wake up call. My clothes are starting to get small and I'm not buying a new wardrobe unless it's because I drop the weight and they've gotten too big.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    You're right about the clothes. If we stop accommodating obesity we'll get less of it. When you can barely squeeze into your pants and you're miserable all day, that is a good reminder. Instead (me included) we simply buy larger pants and keep up the same habits.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    The last few weeks, I kind of gotten out of working out. My current hobby has taken up all my free time.
    So, last night I went out to my garage and worked out. It felt really good to get back into it.

heavyhitter1k

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Going to the gym tonight....my choice (kinda), more or less the wife said we are going to the gym and I said yes dear LOL

I'm glad she keeps me on track and motivated. Got back on the diet bandwagon last week and dropped about 8 lbs.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Just started using MapMyFitness this year. I'm surprised how much just tracking things changes some decisions. I like it so far :thumbsup:

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    The elliptical machines intrigue me. I really don't like running, so when I'm not on the treadmill I usually ride the exercise bike but I find it much harder to get my heart rate up as high on the bike.

I've tried the elliptical machine a few times, but hasn't been able to get into a good rhythm on it yet.

Like you I need to drop at least 30 pounds. I'm 6'2" 260. I thought it was bad when I hit 250, hitting 260 was a real wake up call. My clothes are starting to get small and I'm not buying a new wardrobe unless it's because I drop the weight and they've gotten too big.

My first day on the elliptical I did all of 4 minutes! That was with the machine set at lowest resistance, and lowest incline level:( That thing is a beast. Second day I got 5 minutes, so today, with the weather being pretty good, we're going to do our 2 mile walk through the woods (saw 17 deer and a bunch of turkeys a few weeks ago). I'm hoping to build my time on the elliptical up to at least 15-20 minutes, but it's gonna take awhile.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Quick question about myfitnesspal. If you use the built in step counter, and it gives you credit for steps, do you still enter in under cardio exercise when you go on long walks? I get the whole step counting thing, but there's a big difference between the steps I take at work and a faster walk for exercise.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    My first day on the elliptical I did all of 4 minutes! That was with the machine set at lowest resistance, and lowest incline level:( That thing is a beast. Second day I got 5 minute.... I'm hoping to build my time on the elliptical up to at least 15-20 minutes, but it's gonna take awhile.

Keep it up. I do 30 mins. straight on our elliptical. I sustained a lower arm injury and have been unable to do any strength training which sucks because I finally went out and go some protein supplements as I'm a light eater. I'm hoping the injury heals by the end of next week. That will be three weeks total. If I still have pain I will have to go do the doctor. It doesn't hurt all the time, I would say 95% of the time it is OK, but certain wrist movements or even carrying a gallon of water/milk a certain way brings slight pain. I have been able to continue my 900ish ab exercises per week. I do three days of these, and after a couple of months, I actually have a slight four pack. It is kinda shocking that if you just stick with it, you can and will get results. I had been eating properly and doing some cardio every other day, I would probably be in even better shape.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Quick question about myfitnesspal. If you use the built in step counter, and it gives you credit for steps, do you still enter in under cardio exercise when you go on long walks? I get the whole step counting thing, but there's a big difference between the steps I take at work and a faster walk for exercise.

I would think you would want to log the time as cardio too, especially if you're doing brisk walking to get your heart rate up. Adding the exercise let's you track how many calories you're burning, so it's helpful if you're tracking the food you're eating. Calories burned during the day is deducted from your food totals.

Top Bottom