• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Do you guys do the plank during your workout?
    Just curious how long you can hold.

mail02_fitness_exercises.jpg

I did 2 minutes 35 seconds tonight, 5 seconds longer than last time.:rockwoot:

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI

I've gotten to 3 min., but I don't do the long extened holds anymore because I get bored.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan

I'm around 2min..ish. Of course, even though I'm in good shape, 240lbs (down from 256) is still working against gravity. Core and legs. You'd do very well by core and squats.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

Yes. We used to do it as a buffer exercise or as part of a tabata, but that was only 30 seconds.

We do it in yoga a lot. My teacher is all about the core. We don't time it. Planking is just a transition to like downward dog or cobra or something else.

Well, I survived Sunday. In that rain we worked out in a garage that seemed like a greenhouse. Sunday was a Tabata of 9 exercises, 8 sets each.

Tonight we did a regime of 4 exercises for 30 seconds each, 50 minutes over all. Calf raises, speed bag, Brocks (pull ups from laying atop an MT bag), and the battle ropes.

The Brocks killed my forearms but I should be hitting forearms harder as they are very useful for fighting.

Tomorrow we are doing a prison set of wheel outs mixed in with leg exercises. As sedentary as I am, I need it.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    After a long layoff from injuring my knee while doing squats (irritated the Quad tendon a 2nd time) I am back to running.

Being old I need to approach all of this differently now. I need to throttle back and go very easy and slow.

For running, I am running 2 miles watching only my heart rate. Right now I keep it between 130 and 150. Pace is real slow. When I can consistently get through the 2 miles without having to walk because of going above 150 I will pick up the pace. I may no longer run more than 3 because of other foot issues and when you get older, everything breaks a bit easier and takes longer to heal.

Haven't started lifting again but probably will with light weights. Not going for max anymore.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    I've lost 17#'s in 60 to 70 days now. Focus is on using MFP for diet accountability and also exercising. But honestly, it's mostly been diet.

I have been using a PT at the local Y 1-2 times a week.

Lately, I have been trying to get an hour every other day of Nordic Walking in. So far, it's feels really good. Adds quite a bit of upper body to walking.

Plan an to start in with Kettlebells this week also.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Seriously ? That's a little hard to believe. To loose 68 pounds, you'd have to burn 238,000 more calories than you consume.

I lost 55 pounds in 6 months and that was brutal.

Sure it wan't 6.8 ? Or maybe I missed the purple

Went from size 50's pants to 42 or 44

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    He would have had to reduce his calorie consumption by 4,250 calories a day from his normal calories to keep the same weight to lose 68 lbs in two months.

Perhaps more accurate to say, he would have needed a 4,250 calorie deficit to lose 68#'s in roughly 60 days. This could be a combination of lower calorie intake (less food) or increased caloric burn (more exercise). if "normal" intake, allowing for overeating, is arguably 3500 to 4500 calories a day, I could see having an intake deficit of, say 1000 to 1500. The rest would have to come from exercise. Which seems pretty incredible to me! That would seem to require something like 6-8 hours of fairly intensive exercise each and every day for those 60 days. More if you allow for 1-2 rest days per week.

Lectric102002

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    .- ...- --- -.
    He would have had to reduce his calorie consumption by 4,250 calories a day from his normal calories to keep the same weight to lose 68 lbs in two months.

Perhaps more accurate to say, he would have needed a 4,250 calorie deficit to lose 68#'s in roughly 60 days. This could be a combination of lower calorie intake (less food) or increased caloric burn (more exercise). if "normal" intake, allowing for overeating, is arguably 3500 to 4500 calories a day, I could see having an intake deficit of, say 1000 to 1500. The rest would have to come from exercise. Which seems pretty incredible to me! That would seem to require something like 6-8 hours of fairly intensive exercise each and every day for those 60 days. More if you allow for 1-2 rest days per week.

That's all I'm sayin. I wasn't there, so I can't prove it. It's just a little hard for me to believe.

But, either way, I applaud the effort and the commitment.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I've dropped 76 lbs in 170 days, give or take a week, but I went from eating huge amounts of food and numerous daily beers down to eating NOTHING but high protein low fat foods, and NO beer for the first 90 days. Add into that, at least an hour and a half, more often 2-3 hours per day of cardio or strength training since the beginning of the year.

My hat is off to anyone who gets much more drastic than that, I wouldn't want to do it again.:):

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    I've dropped 76 lbs in 170 days, give or take a week, but I went from eating huge amounts of food and numerous daily beers down to eating NOTHING but high protein low fat foods, and NO beer for the first 90 days. Add into that, at least an hour and a half, more often 2-3 hours per day of cardio or strength training since the beginning of the year.

My hat is off to anyone who gets much more drastic than that, I wouldn't want to do it again.:):

littletommy, your story is believable based on the numbers. THe daily average caloric deficit over 170 days to lose 76 #'s is ~1500. I don't know your current or base rate but lets assume with the extra 76#'s it was around 3000 calories to maintain your weight, that means cutting your intake to ~50%. That's doable especially with a high protein/low fat diet. Add to that, say, 750 calories burned through exercise. I can totally see it.

To my mind, the biggest issue you faced was maintaining that life-style change for half a year! My hat's of to you! That shows incredible dedication and focus. I'm not sure I can do it.

My story is 68 days of logging in and personal accountability. My weight loss over that period has been 17 #s. That's just under 60,000 calories or a average daily deficit of 875 calories. That's got me losing at ~1.5 to 2 #s/week actual. My overall goal is 75#'s and I was targeting doing that at ~1 #/week. So I am ahead of that. I still haven't achieved my first goal of 20 #s (target was a very aggressive Memorial day!) but I'm approaching it. Once I achieve that goal, I will set my next interim goal based on my data from this one.

I dont' recall exactly as I write how I set my overall goal, but it had a "lean body mass" component to it. Assuming that I would maintain the current estimate of my lean body mass, I set a % target for fat loss.

Top Bottom