• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I took a few days off this week, skipped a run day and a push up day. First rest I've taken in several weeks, and I feel better for my lack of effort. Did a 1.3 mile run tonight, and felt pretty good, no hills, just a flat run. I've worked my way back up to 1000 pushups, 3 times a week, and still dropping 3-4 pounds a week. I'm under 215 for the first time in many years.

We have a 5K saturday morning at the Louisville zoo, and I feel much better prepared for this one than I did a few weeks back at our first one.

semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    I got some good cardio on the stair master today. That is my favorite because it doesn't aggravate my planters fasciitis. Then I did some back and biceps lifting.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    2 yoga classes on Sat.; hill run (partially in the rain so at the end it was like running in a greenhouse) on Sun. Not my best performance (too much fun Sat. night), but I did it.

Oh, bike is back from the shop, cleaned and lubed. Now I have no excuse not to bike more.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I've been adding additional workouts, mostly cardio, on my non-weight days. I have always skipped legs and now I do a portion of Fitness Blender exercises along with P90X routines. I saw an infomercial for P90X3 and they talked about how the first 30 mins. of any workout is usually a very important part of the workout. I did some on-line reading and many people confirmed this. I always wondered if a full hour of lifting weights really was all that different than the typical 30 mins. I see on most YouTube videos. So what I've done is focus on the first 30 mins of the P90X videos, focusing on trying to lift a bit heavier weight. Push-ups had maxed out so I now am doing chest exercises with dumbbells instead of some of the push-ups. I also started running 1.5 miles then added an extra .5 to get a full 20 mins of running in. I will likely be adding another 1.5 onto this. Additionally I will likely do a few lower leg exercises (lunges, squats) after the running as well as some stretching exercises during cool down.

I also have changed my sugar carb heavy breakfast (cereal, frozen waffles) to a protein based meal. On my days off I might have cereal and waffles, but instead of just sitting around on the computer I now take the 15 it takes to cook three slices of turkey bacon and one scrambled egg.

My main focus is to burn off the last little bit of fat around my waist. My abs shock me the most, as those exercises were very hard to do at first. The one that sucked the most was the scissor leg lifts. I went from needing to pause twice during it to being able to do the entire thing and it isn't even all that difficult now. Additionally I have found that the cardio I do has helped with endurance during the weight training days. I have a goal for about two or three weeks to gain slightly more muscle in my arms, and cut body fat on my torso. I'm hoping that focusing on additional protein for breakfast, and cutting back on sugar carbs, might help me reach that goal along with the fact I'm doing cardio now three or four times a week.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    pushup.gif

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I hit it really hard tonight with the weights. I'm in the middle of week five of a 12 week primer program and I'm starting to adjust to the rhythm and routine.

Tonight I was really focused on proper form while increasing weight and cutting down on rest time between sets, aiming to hit failure in the third set of most exercises. I hit a couple new personal bests and I'm proud of myself for coming back strong tonight after a lackluster workout on Tuesday.

That's crucial. I see so many guys knocking out easy weight, and then resting between 2 minutes sets. I'm like "do you even lift bro?"
    Don't forget negatives in your lifts.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Finally got under 210! Only 4 lbs from my most recent goal of 205 (I'm 6'4"). Been turning up the heat with my running, going for being able to run an entire 5K without gasping for air halfway through. I've been mixing it up with doing an easy pace a few times a week, then doing a mile and a half or so each week where I run harder, I'm seeing improvement, and I feel pretty good about being ready for our next 5K on July 4.

Me and the wife have been doing a lot of walking and hiking since the beginning of the year, and it helped me a lot, but I've really been able to tone up fast since I started running more, my calorie consumption has gone up pretty good, too. I've eaten 2800-3000 calories every day for the last week, and lost 4 pounds since last Friday.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Thursday is our usual striking night (speed, double end, knees drill, mook, heavy bag) with a common exercise in between the exercises like burpees or get up drill.

Tonight we did 5 exercises (jump rope, hammer, burpees, get up drill, wheel) and the common exercise was striking the heavy bag.

I liked it. Good to mix things up especially at our ages.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I hit my body weight goal of 205 lbs! I've lost 71 lbs since early January. We celebrated by running 2.5 miles this morning, then going to longhorn steakhouse for lunch. Been running regularly for a few weeks now, and am pumped for our next 5k, I want at least top 10 in my age group.

Lectric102002

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    .- ...- --- -.
    I hit my body weight goal of 205 lbs! I've lost 71 lbs since early January. We celebrated by running 2.5 miles this morning, then going to longhorn steakhouse for lunch. Been running regularly for a few weeks now, and am pumped for our next 5k, I want at least top 10 in my age group.

That's awesome ! Congrats ! I hit mine today too. 51 pounds lost since Dec. last year.

I'm trying to run 100 miles every month.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Been turning up the heat with my running, going for being able to run an entire 5K without gasping for air halfway through. I've been mixing it up with doing an easy pace a few times a week, then doing a mile and a half or so each week where I run harder, I'm seeing improvement, and I feel pretty good about being ready for our next 5K on July 4.

Me and the wife have been doing a lot of walking and hiking since the beginning of the year, and it helped me a lot, but I've really been able to tone up fast since I started running more, my calorie consumption has gone up pretty good, too. I've eaten 2800-3000 calories every day for the last week, and lost 4 pounds since last Friday.

I just ran my first 5K distance likely since '97. It was actually just a bit over 5K, 3.61 miles. I ran it in 32.44. This gives me almost a 9:00 mile. I have also noticed I've gotten a bit faster after running about 1.5 miles a few times before this. If you really start to enjoy hiking and are able to run a 5K, then I would suggest start planning some longer day hiking focused trips to the Smoky and Rocky Mountains. I have a few more of the popular trails to knock off in the Great Smoky Mountains NP then I will start focusing on getting back to Glacier and Yellowstone, and then focus on other areas after that.

Top Bottom