• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    Just got back from a 9 day vacation in the Dominican Republic. I hit the gym there a few times. I put on about 5 pounds, not to bad for how I eat and drink on vacation. Now it is time to get back at it.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    At the gym today I was on an elliptical machine and a trainer walked by and said "That machine will burn fat really fast." I said "Hopefully not too fast cause if it all burns at once, there will be a mushroom cloud over downtown Osceola! "

Been hitting the gym for two weeks now. 30-45 min cardio and some resistance machines for muscle. I do feel a little lighter and will be on the Wii monthly.

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I finished the foundations course at Crossfit last week and had my first official workout tonight.

I did, with 75 pounds, 21 power cleans, 21 burpee box jump pull-ups, 15 each, 9 power cleans, 5 burpee box jump pull-ups. The time limit was 15 minutes and I ran outta time. I've never done Olympic lifts before and I'm incredibly weak.... These workouts are humbling. The regulars had 135 pounds and weren't using a box to help pull up. The coach spent a while teaching me the power clean form and was nearby most of the workout to encourage me.

This is cold weather is really frustrating. I'd like to run a couple days a week but our sidewalks aren't cleared and the neighborhood roads are a mess (sprained my ankle running on ice in December so I'm overly cautious now) and temps in the teens are too dang cold.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    That means she escaped from you after 2 miles? :):

hah! I'd just use the app to find her phone and wait for her to slow. The funny thing is she says she can't run, doesn't want to run, and then on a whim goes and knocks out 3 miles. She could probably do five if she didn't get so bored with running on a treadmill. Me on the other hand, I really do enjoy running, but when I'm out of shape it's just painful misery.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Looking forward to an improvement in teh weather. Then will get out for nightly Nordic Walking sets with my wife. Trying to do inside stuff now. Did a 4 session body-weight boot camp and 3 session yoga on my cruise. Felt pretty good. Then had a nasty cold last week when I got home which kind of put me off - so goal for this week is to get back to working out inside...

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I've been doing cardio 3x a week for a bit over a year now, pretty consistently. I was lucky that when I got a new job in October of 12, they had an onsite gym. I do the recumbent bike one day, elliptical one day and on Sunday at home I run my stairs, jump rope and work out on my wavemaster bag. Feeling pretty good and the biggest thing is having the discipline to keep it up. I need to start doing weight lifting as well, but I have wrist and shoulder issues that make that difficult. I need to get off my butt and figure something out though. Looking forward to nice weather so I can jump on my bike occasionally as well. I'm thin (well, skinny is the actual adjective), but have been woefully out of shape for the last couple of decades. Trying to turn that around, as well as eating healthier, cutting out desserts as much as possible and maintaining discipline to not skip any workouts. Not easy, but I think I've been doing it long enough now it's pretty much an ingrained routine...

Shadow8088

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Since I really don't have the motivation to read 48 pages just to get to this point... i'm gonna throw out unsolicited advice...

you want to lose weight? you can do it a couple of ways... Calorie counting works. It's a PITA, but it works. Limiting yourself to 2000 kcals a day and getting in a healthy bit of exercise (about an hour of cardio and weights or whatever works for you) is all it takes. obviously this number is a pretty wide generalization, as for some (mostly smaller framed people) it's a little high. There are calculators out there on the interwebz, but I'll make it a little easier on you...

BMI Calculator Plus: Personalized BMI for Your Body Type and Metabolism

While not an exact science, it's close enough that you can easily get yourself on the right path.

and now a couple of things I've learned on my own path to a lighter me...

-Guilt doesn't work. Don't beat yourself up over a missed workout or cheated with that Whopper meal....
    -You don't have to go to the gym to lose weight. (although it helps!)
    -It's not a big deal if you fall off the wagon. Getting back on isn't very hard.
    -This isn't a diet. It's a lifestyle change.
    -Don't starve yourself... Your body goes into what I call "Plague mode" In times of famine(or intentional starvation), your body will, in order to try and protect itself, turn anything you eat into fat and start to use muscle to keep your body going. You can see how that would be detrimental.
    -Don't deprive yourself... If you want a cookie, eat the goddamned cookie... just don't eat the whole bag.
    -Consult a doctor... no, it's not a disclaimer.. your Dr might have some insight on how to better improve your plan (he can also tell you if you're healthy enough to do some of the exercises...)
    -Set reasonable goals.. Losing 10lbs a week SOUNDS good on paper...
    -If you don't make it fun, you're not going to do it... at least, not for very long...

I may think of more later, but that's all I've got for now..

Top Bottom