• ...and so much more!
  • Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I'm 57 but have managed to stay in decent shape all of my life. I used to run a lot when I was younger, but my knees tend to protest loudly now if I run enough to make any real difference. I used to have a steady weightlifting routine, and do and pushups, but shoulder injuries have left their mark, I can't do as much of that as I once did. But I have found a couple of great exercises that don't seem to hurt too much - bicycling and squats. I bought a new road bike last summer, and will be on it again as soon as the weather gets back up into the 40s. I'm 5'-9" and last summer I dropped from 192 to 175. I have gained a few lbs back and am sitting at 180 right now. My goal this next year is to get down to between 160 and 165.

My advice to anyone looking for a low impact exercise that will make a real difference - get into bicycling!

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County

Turns out it wasn't from the lift but when he dropped the bar, it bounced off another piece of equipment and hit him in the back.

Here is the video of it. A person in the comments there thinks it was from the lift as they didn't think the bar hit him. I think so too. He collapses before the bar hits the ground. Warning, the site can be NSFW: LiveLeak.com - Crossfit Athlete Kevin Ogar severs Spine...

Extra weight is not going to help the situation either for weakened or damaged joints. Visualizing 54 lbs would be to sling 6 and 1/2 gallon jugs of water over your shoulders to carry around.

Yep that's exactly how I see it. The less I weigh the better my knees can/will feel. The actual physical problems with them (kneecaps not in the right spot, one leg is crooked) won't go away, but the irritation will be reduced a lot.

1966John

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2012
    sellersburg
    Been working out since the seventies. Man, have things changed. Aside for a few counterproductive years in the Army I've had a lot of steady progress until recently. Compression is a b***h. I've added some convict conditioning and tacfit to my routine and seen most of my flexibility come back, ad m need for caffeine go down. The diet is a hydra-monster that needs constant attention.
    20% body fat, 260lbs.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    I started walking in Sept. and have since joined a gym. I go to the gym on avg. 5-6x's week 20-30 cardio and free wgts.
    In Sept I was 321lb here it is Jan 18 and im down to 281 feel great!! I've had to buy new clothes pants are 3 sizes smaller now. Just do it!!

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I'm 57 but have managed to stay in decent shape all of my life. I used to run a lot when I was younger, but my knees tend to protest loudly now if I run enough to make any real difference. I used to have a steady weightlifting routine, and do and pushups, but shoulder injuries have left their mark, I can't do as much of that as I once did. But I have found a couple of great exercises that don't seem to hurt too much - bicycling and squats. I bought a new road bike last summer, and will be on it again as soon as the weather gets back up into the 40s. I'm 5'-9" and last summer I dropped from 192 to 175. I have gained a few lbs back and am sitting at 180 right now. My goal this next year is to get down to between 160 and 165.

My advice to anyone looking for a low impact exercise that will make a real difference - get into bicycling!

You are about in the same boat I am at 60.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I started walking in Sept. and have since joined a gym. I go to the gym on avg. 5-6x's week 20-30 cardio and free wgts.
    In Sept I was 321lb here it is Jan 18 and im down to 281 feel great!! I've had to buy new clothes pants are 3 sizes smaller now. Just do it!!

Congrats!

Mephitical

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Lebanon
    I started the Advocare 24 day challenge again this morning. I did the same thing in August and have had good results. I also started going to the YMCA on a regular basis at the same time. I changed my eating habits and even though I wasn't trying, I lost 5 lbs. over Christmas. I'm hoping this 24 challenge will jump start me again as I've plateaued some the past 2 months. 60 lbs. down...another 30 to go before spring.

Calorie intake has been the biggest success for me...eat more than I ever have but way less calories.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I did 50 push ups and 10 chin ups before I got my first coffee.
    The goal is 300 push ups a day, besides the other exercices.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I'm continuing my regimen of daily pelvic thrusts.

Don't forget the bilateral arm thrust that accompanies it

I bought this dude for $45 on amazon. It will record and store for 24 hours. You can download to your computer and trend your vitals every second during the night to see if you desaturate. Can also check for runs of tachycardia probably. Incredibly powerful home monitoring device, fun toy, and helpful if your family members have pulmonary issues and you want to check O2 levels.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Start week 1/15/14:233lbs Week 1: 230lbs
    Not really counting my calories, but been eating more air popcorn when hungry only 20 calories per cup which means two bowls. Also high in fiber to keep things flowing.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Work out going great, putting fork down = fail. I must learn to control stress eating. Willpower is not my strongpoint.
    I could post excuses, but that's all they are, excuses.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    PS: Have been doing the kettle bell thing for 2 weeks, dang, I'm a long way from 500 in a session. It's a great cardio workout, core, hamstring & arms. Made it to final set of 45 swings Monday, that's better than the 20 I stared with.

I have eave been adding them @ end of weight days.

Top Bottom