• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I got a rack from Titan fitness. Price was right and it’s functional. The pull up bar is a little slick though

Good to know. If I get one, I'll rub some WOD Wax on it and use my grips.

1_Bar_2048x.jpg

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Still cannot believe it. I passed!

Push ups, no problem (best percentage on this).

Sit ups, mediocre, but good for my age bracket.

Run, what was a lumbering . . . long time . . . has become a 16:38 2 mile (in the middle of my age bracket)! I am delighted.

No hills, it was all flat downtown Indy. And, most of all, it was cool and misting.

Now to repeat this at Atterbury in October!

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

Yes, we do the old one, not the new one that is purportedly coming on line. I believe we can do the new APFT at Atterbury but the old test is what we are doing.

I ran with a buddy/rabbit and it worked (well, the weather was optimal for me too, it was 62 and misting). Nice 8 minute mile pace. I mean, that's weaksauce for all you Danger Ranger BlackOps Studmuffins on INGO, but for this old REMF, it was what I needed to do.

I have been running hills so I think that helped too. I plan on extending my run to like 3 and 3.5 miles so 2 does not seem as long.

Need to do more sit-ups. I had been too focused on push ups and the run. Sit ups were a weak point for me and those Army sit ups are . . . less than optimal.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Yes, we do the old one, not the new one that is purportedly coming on line. I believe we can do the new APFT at Atterbury but the old test is what we are doing.

I ran with a buddy/rabbit and it worked (well, the weather was optimal for me too, it was 62 and misting). Nice 8 minute mile pace. I mean, that's weaksauce for all you Danger Ranger BlackOps Studmuffins on INGO, but for this old REMF, it was what I needed to do.

I have been running hills so I think that helped too. I plan on extending my run to like 3 and 3.5 miles so 2 does not seem as long.

Need to do more sit-ups. I had been too focused on push ups and the run. Sit ups were a weak point for me and those Army sit ups are . . . less than optimal.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Started to expand the 2 miles. I focused only on 2 miles for the APFT as I had not run in a long time (for distance).

Today I did 3 miles in 27:11, going from 8:19/mile to a little over 9:00/mile.

Rome was not built in a day. I have not even paced off its walls.:D

Tomorrow is weights, some martial arts (going to use my buddy's mook), jump rope AND sit ups!

Last edited:

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    4 mile weighted run today.... been doing weighted runs since getting “snipped” a few weeks back forcing me to take a week off. I am hoping it will help with increasing my distance, since I was plateauing

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Friday: 3 mile run. Then did about 30 minutes on the mook and heavy bag, rotated between the two, e.g. do the mook form, then do 300 punches, then bounce back to the mook.

Saturday: Loaded up my new ruck (digging this 5.11 pack) and hike into martial arts school downtown and hiked back. So, 6 miles (3 miles there, 3 miles back, hiking back I have to come out of that river valley) weighted hump (25 lbs) and 90 minutes of martial arts.

In martial arts we did mook drills, sticky hands drills, and then circle sparring with light, in dark and with flashing strobe. In between sparring rounds we did push ups, turtle drills and punches to wear us down more. I hate to say it, but it felt good.

I realize I am very lucky that I can still do all of this at my age so my gratitude makes it more satisfying I think. It just feels good to sweat and stink sometimes.

kramer5702

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 16, 2015
    Modoc
    So, I finally decided after being on permabulk for the last 5 years of lifting to cut weight this year. Was doing great on Keto and Intermittent Fasting, went from 240 lbs to 205 and was getting quite lean. But...the cravings for junk food and sweets took over and I cant stop...any advice??? Also, idk if they still have it but Menards had a HUGE crate of Little Debbie snack cake boxes on sale 10 for $10............Im back up to 215 with my goal being 195 by October lol I just cant stay away from carbs and snack cakes.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Friday: punches, mook, footwork drills and swords, lots of swords

Saturday: Wing Chun in the AM (it is cool we have some serious new guys, gotta train them up!), and then 8 mile ruck (only 25-30 lbs max) in the PM. I think my new 670-1 boots (Rocky) are finally broken in. Really digging my new 5.11 pack too.

Sunday: 3 mile run and stretching

Tomorrow, class is cancelled so I'll likely do a Wing Chun work out in basement, throw in some push ups and sit ups.

bacon#1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Outside The Matrix
    So, I finally decided after being on permabulk for the last 5 years of lifting to cut weight this year. Was doing great on Keto and Intermittent Fasting, went from 240 lbs to 205 and was getting quite lean. But...the cravings for junk food and sweets took over and I cant stop...any advice??? Also, idk if they still have it but Menards had a HUGE crate of Little Debbie snack cake boxes on sale 10 for $10............Im back up to 215 with my goal being 195 by October lol I just cant stay away from carbs and snack cakes.

Let it run its course. Then get back on. Sometimes you lose a battle to win the war!

bacon#1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Outside The Matrix
    I know I said I hated it, but I'm thinking about running. Possibly skip a day of lifting to add cardio. Someone mentioned how to tie shoes for running. My ears are open. A running shoe recommendation would also be appreciated. Mainly country roads.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I know I said I hated it, but I'm thinking about running. Possibly skip a day of lifting to add cardio. Someone mentioned how to tie shoes for running. My ears are open. A running shoe recommendation would also be appreciated. Mainly country roads.

Ugh, I wish I could run. I hurt my foot on Aug 1st. I ran a Biathlon & a Run-n-gun on it anyway because I really didn't want to miss those events. I probably have a Jones fracture & maybe a detached peroneus brevis. I can Advil up and run on it but it hurts like a mother.

Anyway, it's hard to suggest a shoe without knowing what kind of stride / gate / pronation you have. Get to a real running shoe store and have them watch you run.

Once you figure out your foot you can do some research here: https://runrepeat.com/

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

I wear Brooks Beast and I run on county roads.

I have high arches (doc said if I had normal arch my shoes would be silly big) and tie them like I do my boots by skipping a cross over the arch and lacing straight up.

Top Bottom