• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    IMPD identifies suspect killed in shooting involving police Sund - 13 WTHR Indianapolis
    Indianapolis Metro Police have identified a man killed in a shooting involving police officers Sunday.

IMPD says 36-year-old Mack Long died in the shooting. Long had a lengthy criminal history involving drugs, guns and robbery.
    Two IMPD officers suffered graze wounds in the shooting.
    According to IMPD, around 3:15 p.m., officers stopped a silver car near 30th and Sherman. Police say the passenger bailed, ran down 31st Street at which time at least two officers caught up with him. There was a struggle in a wooded area of a back yard and that's when the suspect, who police say was armed with a gun, was shot and killed.
    “At this point, we believe...the suspect was struggling with the officer -- with the officer's weapon,” said IMPD Ofc. Christopher Wilburn.

This could certainly be a test of the It Can't Happen Here hypothesis. :(

One Shot One Kill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    Near The Dunes
    Glad to hear the officers didn't receive any life-threatening injuries.
    How does a criminal ever think that going face to face with trained armed professionals is going to end well for them...
    Darwin at work everyday, :dunno:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Glad to hear the officers didn't receive any life-threatening injuries.
    How does a criminal ever think that going face to face with trained armed professionals is going to end well for them...
    Darwin at work everyday, :dunno:

My analogy. Yes, I know, analogies suck. But I'm using one anyway.
    Thugs/criminals/whatever are bigger fish in a small pond.
    They get used to the small fish being afraid of them.
    They fail to realize, some of those fish are wearing muzzles (rules/laws), and are really sharks.
    Forgetting that, they cross a line, and the muzzles come off.
    The big fish get eaten, wondering what went wrong.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Interesting analogy - also timely. The Star had an article today suggesting that Indy may be on its way to becoming a serious drug distribution hub.

I don't buy it. I think it is more that all sorts of commerce are going to a more distributed... distribution. Not as much need to go through Chicago or Detroit now, to get stuff to Indy. Plenty of mules willing to come straight to Indy.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Interesting analogy - also timely. The Star had an article today suggesting that Indy may be on its way to becoming a serious drug distribution hub.

I don't buy it. I think it is more that all sorts of commerce are going to a more distributed... distribution. Not as much need to go through Chicago or Detroit now, to get stuff to Indy. Plenty of mules willing to come straight to Indy.

Makes sense, my first job was in distribution/transportation, just look at the major interstates that feed into Indianapolis.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

I don't buy it.

I do. It's one of the reasons we see so many pharmacy robberies compared to other cities. Getting product for these distribution networks.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    So what was his INGO member name?

BTW - Has anyone heard from Expat? I haven't seen him post all day. :n00b:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Well, what the media won't tell you because it isn't real interesting and doesn't suit the narrative.

One guy tried to start a "can't breath" chant. No one joined in.

Many people gathered to look on. Some had questions. Granted I was busy with other things, but I saw no fights, no scuffles, no one attempt to enter the crime scene, no one damage property, nothing that could remotely be described as "riot impending behavior." ERG wasn't even started until the shots were fired nearby. That's when the cops with long guns showed up and set up around the perimeter. That was several hours after the police action.

I talked to dozens of people that live on the street where it happened. None were openly hostile, many didn't want to be involved. Many were pro police without knowing any relevant facts other than what they personally knew but wouldn't give their names or contact info. These are not people who are going to talk to the media. You won't see them or hear from them, so as far as the narrative goes they don't exist.

I do not speak for the department or the citizenry or anyone but myself. From what I witnessed and from what I have experienced I do not foresee any widespread issues, now or as the facts of the incident become public. I think the people of Indy are generally decent people, that our cops are generally of a high caliber, and that relationships between the two are better than in many other cities. I've been wrong before, but I'm confident you aren't going to see a Ferguson or the like here stemming from this incident for those reasons as well as the facts of the incident itself.

gamer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2015
    Fort Wayne
    For some weird reason I've gone my whole life without any LEO pointing a gun in my face letting alone shooting at me. I must be one of those crazy law abiding citizens or something.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Well, what the media won't tell you because it isn't real interesting and doesn't suit the narrative.

Many people gathered to look on. Some had questions. Granted I was busy with other things, but I saw no fights, no scuffles, no one attempt to enter the crime scene, no one damage property, nothing that could remotely be described as "riot impending behavior." ERG wasn't even started until the shots were fired nearby. That's when the cops with long guns showed up and set up around the perimeter. That was several hours after the police action.

I talked to dozens of people that live on the street where it happened. None were openly hostile, many didn't want to be involved. Many were pro police without knowing any relevant facts other than what they personally knew but wouldn't give their names or contact info. These are not people who are going to talk to the media. You won't see them or hear from them, so as far as the narrative goes they don't exist.

I do not speak for the department or the citizenry or anyone but myself. From what I witnessed and from what I have experienced I do not foresee any widespread issues, now or as the facts of the incident become public. I think the people of Indy are generally decent people, that our cops are generally of a high caliber, and that relationships between the two are better than in many other cities. I've been wrong before, but I'm confident you aren't going to see a Ferguson or the like here stemming from this incident for those reasons as well as the facts of the incident itself.

From a non-LEO perspective I would agree, we have some great cops here and pretty decent people as well.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    For some weird reason I've gone my whole life without any LEO pointing a gun in my face letting alone shooting at me. I must be one of those crazy law abiding citizens or something.

Hey, it happens to the best of us.
    Believe me...:cool:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I probably should have said this up front: this appears to be a totally justified shoot and I do not think Indy (for a variety of reasons) has the deep racial issues that other places have.

But, I do think that the national media (for a variety of reasons) has tarnished police/race-relations. Maybe it isn't totally MSM's fault - clearly, some of the police officers have acted VERY badly.

It must also be acknowledged, though, that there are people in the Indy community who may use the national issues to advance a local agenda. I believe that is a real risk.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

Um, yeah, well, after sitting in on a number of clean-ups, I can tell you were to go for various drugs in Indy.

this appears to be a totally justified shoot

If the Media is to be believe, good shoot. No problem here.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan

We are seeing more and more agitators at our critical incident scenes, something that was VERY uncommon. They are getting more brazen. Also, this is the Brightwood/Martindale area. This is the same general area that Dave Moore was killed, Perry Renn was killed, and Greg Milburn was shot, now this incident...which could have easily been another officer killed but thankfully the LEOs won that battle. This area straddles East District and North District. It seems like this area needs more attention than we are giving it.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I probably should have said this up front: this appears to be a totally justified shoot and I do not think Indy (for a variety of reasons) has the deep racial issues that other places have.

But, I do think that the national media (for a variety of reasons) has tarnished police/race-relations. Maybe it isn't totally MSM's fault - clearly, some of the police officers have acted VERY badly.

It must also be acknowledged, though, that there are people in the Indy community who may use the national issues to advance a local agenda. I believe that is a real risk.

Like when I am watching Fox59 and Ray keeps saying a white police officer has shot a black man, each and every time they report they have to go out of their way to fuel the fire, I will spit in that guys face if I ever see him in the street, good little puppets they are...

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    this is the Brightwood/Martindale area. This is the same general area that Dave Moore was killed, Perry Renn was killed, and Greg Milburn was shot, now this incident...which could have easily been another officer killed but thankfully the LEOs won that battle. This area straddles East District and North District. It seems like this area needs more attention than we are giving it.

It seems to me that Brightwood needs a restaurant influx. I was in War Zone D (24th and NJ) a couple of weeks ago when we were trying to get into Tinker. It was packed and so we had to go back to Broad Ripple. But my jaw hit the sidewalk when I saw how that neighborhood is--beautiful houses, people with clean clothes without Thunderbird bottles, pushing baby strollers, it was amazing.

All the near-westside needs to be a tax free zone and clean it up!

Top Bottom