Indy Kroger Employee Shoots Would-be Robber in the Face!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Do they have a right to our business, though? I'm thinking not.

Nonetheless, you're correct that I fell into the trap of using government to solve a problem when government IS the problem. (and this is why I don't like simple solutions to complex problems.) Mea culpa. The real solution is to educate people on a large scale so that they choose to stop infringing on the rights of others. We have a long, long way to go on that front.

Rep inbound.

Blessings,
    Bill

No, they don't currently have a "right" to our business, but we also generally do not have a "right" to a job with them unless we have entered a contract with them.

Don't get me wrong, I am absolutely for employers allowing employees to carry and for us doing what we can to encourage them to do so. However, I've seen enough of the workings of government to always be hesitant about getting it involved.

It won't let me rep you back, but if I could I would.

Best,

Joe

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    No, they don't currently have a "right" to our business, but we also generally do not have a "right" to a job with them unless we have entered a contract with them.

Don't get me wrong, I am absolutely for employers allowing employees to carry and for us doing what we can to encourage them to do so. However, I've seen enough of the workings of government to always be hesitant about getting it involved.

Best,

Joe

i got him for ya

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

Best,

Joe

Also correct, re: no right to a job sans contract, nor should there be. Again, the solution is education. How, though, do you teach employers that people like us are not a threat to them, when their insurance companies (a necessity of business these days), the Bradys and VPC, and Hollywood are all telling them in effect that we are? Maybe the manager has begun that process. He still may lose his job; I hope not, because while he's violated their policy, he did it to save lives, and that is a much higher purpose. (In Judaism, that purpose is one of the very few reasons why someone may work on the Sabbath... pikuach nefesh, the work of saving a life. (Not relevant, just (to me) interesting trivia))

I don't think it would be violating their rights to have people "strongly encourage them", perhaps by threat of boycott, to retain this gentleman in his current employment situation.

i got him for ya
    My thanks, sir. Too soon for me to return the favor.

Blessings,
    Bill

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Legally, any sale involves a contract. Our refusal to enter into sales contracts with them is no different than them refusing to enter into employment contracts with people who insist on carrying a weapon to work.

If Kroger can't discriminate in contract decisions because someone wants to exercise a "right", then why would you think we would be able to discriminate them for the exercise of their right to contract?

So, do you believe that it is, or would be, "unlawful discrimination" any time any person does not buy products (enter into a contract) with any specific business? Taken to that logical conclusion, you would be guilty unless you purchased something from EVERY business, every minute of every day. Sounds like an Obama stimulus program.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove

But, the question is: do you believe that we have a right NOT to contract with them? THAT is the crux of the biscuit. (i.e. - the apostrophe)

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Maybe chief of security? I think all places of business should encourage staff to become proficient and carry.

Not really encourage, they should just stay out of their employees private business! If I had an employer, I would consider what's in my pockets and on my person MY business, not theirs!
    Unless you are hired specifically for security, Your choice of self defense is (or should be) up to YOU!!!!:draw:

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    By your example, anyone who refuses to buy from a company which outsources labor to China would be guilty of "hate crimes" for trying to influence that company to stop hiring Chinese nationals and support Communist China.

maybe, but more so, just makes that person naked, with very few possessions!:D

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    No charges in Kroger shooting - 13 WTHR

I also talked to Elliot's father, who further solidified some of the details released by the prosecutor today.

He said that his son fired three shots from his Ruger LCP .380 with laser sight before Atkinson stopped his advance up the stairs toward him.

They're glad that more facts have now been released to the public and hope that it removes some of the possible speculation about how things went down.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    They pay these companies like Securitas to have an unarmed guard stand at the front of the store in his Barney Fife uniform. They are only there to deter petty crime. Seasoned criminals know that they are a joke and dont really offer any sort of protection.

Agreed, and evident from the story eh? lol
    What a joke.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    From the article:

He violated community corrections, and on February 24, 2011 a warrant was issued for his arrest. That warrant was outstanding at the time of this incident.

He had an outstanding warrant for violating parole for a different robbery for 10 MONTHS!

Wow.

Do the police just stop looking for someone after they attempt to serve a warrant the first time?

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    From the article:

He had an outstanding warrant for violating parole for a different robbery for 10 MONTHS!

Wow.

Do the police just stop looking for someone after they attempt to serve a warrant the first time?

No, they wait till he gets shot dead!

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    8:37am Koger still reveiwing as to the fate of employee per Fox 59. OK this guys been cleared of criminal charges. Make the Frigging decision! Either they are cowards, or they may be getting enough pressure to not fire him from people like us and others. More than likely they are just trying to find some leagal way to save face!

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    8:37am Koger still reveiwing as to the fate of employee per Fox 59. OK this guys been cleared of criminal charges. Make the Frigging decision! Either they are cowards, or they may be getting enough pressure to not fire him from people like us and others. More than likely they are just trying to find some leagal way to save face!

More than likely, they are waiting for media attention to die down before they ax the guy for some other reason...

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    They could always promote him to Director of Corporate Security (with a raise, of course) as a "punishment". ;)

PastorBlaster

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2011
    Wabash
    They pay these companies like Securitas to have an unarmed guard stand at the front of the store in his Barney Fife uniform. They are only there to deter petty crime. Seasoned criminals know that they are a joke and dont really offer any sort of protection.

About 18 years ago I worked for one of those companies doing "security" at a grocery store. My job was to stand in a 4 square foot area (they actually showed which 4 tiles were mine), hands in a fig leaf, and watch. Once every hour I was to walk around the store and QUICKLY get back to my tiles. I had no flashlight, phone or weapon on me when I had to walk around back to check the doors. I couldn't talk to anyone. And under no circumstance was I to ever try to apprehend someone. WORST JOB EVER! My first night when my boss stopped by, I told him it wasn't a job for me and gave him my two weeks notice because that was the way that I was raised. I'm just glad that security guard wasn't hurt.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The security guards at one of the ER's that my daughter works at are 75 years old or older, and are unarmed. That is why MANY of the nurses carry to work.
    Wow that's interesting. Not sure about all the hospitals here in Indy, but I I used to service a copier in the security office at a hosp on the east side and I'm pretty sure most of them were armed.

Top Bottom