Indy Kroger Employee Shoots Would-be Robber in the Face!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rbrthenderson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    The Moon
    This is the email I just sent to Kroger.

"I just wanted to share my thoughts and concerns with regards to the recent shooting that happened at your Indianapolis location. Your company has not released a statement on what actions it will be taking due to this event, and I hope that you consider several factors before making a decision and releasing a statement.

1. This employee acted bravely and in uncertain conditions, prevailed against a person intent on causing fear and possibly harm against another human being.

2. The United States Constitution grants the ability for citizens to keep and bear arms under the 2nd Amendment of the Bill of Rights. I certainly hope that Kroger has taken this into consideration when creating company policies with regards to firearms.

3. Had your employee not been carrying a firearm, this perpetrator would have still entered your store with the intent to take money and possibly harm innocent people. The situation could have escalated farther and more people could have been injured or killed.

I cannot speak for other people, but I will not be shopping with your company if any negative action is taken towards this employee. He sought to protect himself against an unknown threat and faced with the same situation, I would not hesitate to take the same course of action that your employee did. I enjoy shopping at your location near my home in North Richland Hills, TX and find it very convenient. However, I will not support a company that does not support it's employee's right to protect themselves. I hope that you take the time to read this email and a reply would be appreciated, but is not necessary. Thank you for your time."

Hope they read it! I did not mention anything about me being a gun owner because I don't want to be looked at differently because I carry or own guns. I figured the best way to get my point across was to keep it short, simple and spell checked!

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    An excellent solution would be legislation guaranteeing the right of citizens to go armed while at work. Language could be included specifically making the employer immune from liability as a result of any act by an armed employee.

^^^This. The sad/sick part here is that a more-than-likely heinous crime was averted by a normal guy doing nothing more than the right thing of protecting life. Even worse, this hero will, more than likely, lose his livelihood due to society being conditioned to believe that "somebody" (always the ones with deep pockets) HAS to be "held responsible". Corporations/small business/everyone then is really left with no other choice then but to succumb to this attorney/legal hysteria and maintain such idiotic policies.
    Take away the attorneys ability to throw such a wide net over multiple parties in their ambulance chasing and hold the INDIVIDUAL responsible for their actions, not the employer just because they have deep pockets.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Just got back from my local Kroger. Talked to one of the managers to let her know how much I appreciated the actions of that employee at the other store. Told her I would feel much better seeing the store staff walking around with a sidearm prominently displayed.

And she agreed!!!!! Don't know how this would go over in Krogers in other states, but at least here in Indiana we might stand a chance of sanity ruling over media hype!

FWP9MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    Bluffton
    I was at Kroger in Fort Wayne (Maplecrest/St.Joe) last night and when my wife and I entered there was a deputy sheriff standing in the common area as you walk in. I told my wife about what happened in Indy and said that officer is probably here as a result of that incident. After about 40 minutes of shopping and checking out, the same officer was standing inside the store by the exit door looking very bored.

I have been shopping at this location for years and this is the first I have seen an officer that appeared to be security for the store. I wonder if this was a knee jerk reaction by Kroger's corporate office.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    I was at Kroger in Fort Wayne (Maplecrest/St.Joe) last night and when my wife and I entered there was a deputy sheriff standing in the common area as you walk in. I told my wife about what happened in Indy and said that officer is probably here as a result of that incident. After about 40 minutes of shopping and checking out, the same officer was standing inside the store by the exit door looking very bored.

I have been shopping at this location for years and this is the first I have seen an officer that appeared to be security for the store. I wonder if this was a knee jerk reaction by Kroger's corporate office.

I'm only guessing, but the hiring of an off-duty LEO for security is probably something done at the discretion of individual store managers. It's not cheap.

In Cincinnati there were SOME Kroger's that consistently did this (in "bad" neighborhoods) and others where it was never done.

Corporate may well be encouraging store managers to do so.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Like those Guards instill confidence in their ability to provide for my safety... :rolleyes:

Oh, but they do! We all know that OC'ers are the first ones targeted in any robbery. If you put one of them, in a fancy uniform no less, at the front of the store it will draw the attention away from the customers. He's not there so much to fight the bad guy, but just to be a sacrificial OC'er to draw the attention. ;)

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    I hope nothing happens to him. While they did say "Hard Object" they never said weapon as far as I can tell. It would be bad news if he was using a flashlight. I would feel pretty bad killing some guy using a Gyro sandwich as a weapon.

And what exactly would happen to him if the bad guy didn't have a gun? I'm pretty sure nothing will happen. If you pretend to have a firearm while committing a crime, I believe it is the same as if you actually had one. I remember hearing about a self-defense shooting in an Anderson liquor store a few years ago. The bad guy came in and had his hand in his jacket pocket. He pointed it at the clerk and said he had a gun. The clerk pulled his gun and killed the bad guy. The bad guy was found to have a comb in his pocket. The clerk was not charged with a crime.

I asked my local prosecutor once about this issue, as I worked as a clerk in a gas station on the interstate. He said if a person comes in, and either through his words or actions indicates he has a weapon, then use of deadly force is justifiable. The prosecutor said it doesn't matter if he actually has a weapon or not. He told me I'm not a mind reader and I don't have x-ray vision. I have to assume the bad guy has a weapon if he says he does or if he indicates that he has one. At that point, I can reasonably say I feel in fear for my life.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I just sent off an email to Kroger thanking them for allowing that employee to protect their associates and the customers who keep them in business. I almost typed "allowing" in purple, but figured they wouldn't understand.

Regardless, I let them know that I am proud to shop at a store where the employees can protect themselves.

I did say it better in the letter. :D

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    :rolleyes:Amazon.com: irish cream coffee creamer

ThrottleJockey is right. Like it or not, they have to fire him. He violated company policy. If they don't fire him, no employee will be obligated to follow company policy.
    I was really just kidding about the creamer, I can take it black. Frankly this guy will more than likely get fired for the above mentioned reasons. I personally can't hardly stand Kroger and rarely shop there. Devington is the closest one to me, but they never have what I want and the help there is no help. So its usually Marsh or wally world.

Soonerdoggy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Richmond, IN
    But that is the reason that policies typically state..."MAY be subjected to diciplinary action up to and including dissmissal."

They dont have to fire the guy unless their policy states ..."Shall be grounds for dissmissal"

MikeD

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 29, 2011
    On that, the Kroger reply, aired on Fox stated that,'it was a violation of state and federal law to carry in the store" Now somebody please tell me how they came up with that one?:patriot:

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    On that, the Kroger reply, aired on Fox stated that,'it was a violation of state and federal law to carry in the store" Now somebody please tell me how they came up with that one?:patriot:
    That's an easy one. Some dip **** sitting in an office somewhere, has no clue what they are talking about! Oh and :welcome: to :ingo:

RockCreekRelics

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2009
    I hope nothing happens to him. While they did say "Hard Object" they never said weapon as far as I can tell. It would be bad news if he was using a flashlight. I would feel pretty bad killing some guy using a Gyro sandwich as a weapon.

While I would not enjoy taking the life of anyone I certainly would not feel bad in doing so if the person implied or said that they had a weapon regardless of if it was a finger,flashlight,gyro or whatever. When another human being indicates that they have in their possession a deadly weapon that they intend to use it leaves the victim no choice but to take it at face value. I see no reason any shooter should feel bad for reacting to a situation that he was forced into in the first place.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    While I would not enjoy taking the life of anyone I certainly would not feel bad in doing so if the person implied or said that they had a weapon regardless of if it was a finger,flashlight,gyro or whatever. When another human being indicates that they have in their possession a deadly weapon that they intend to use it leaves the victim no choice but to take it at face value. I see no reason any shooter should feel bad for reacting to a situation that he was forced into in the first place.

If dumb enough to use a Gyro and say it is a gun then end him quickly before he reproduces. The gene pool is getting very shallow.
    Loss of life is never pleasant no matter what the circumstances.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    :rolleyes:Amazon.com: irish cream coffee creamer

ThrottleJockey is right. Like it or not, they have to fire him. He violated company policy. If they don't fire him, no employee will be obligated to follow company policy.

Or as the idiotic " professor " from I.U. (iirc) on WIBC last night said..." if Kroger doesn't fire him, all the other employees will think they have the "RIGHT" to carry also! I called to correct them, and of course, they didn't put my comments on air!

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Or as the idiotic " professor " from I.U. (iirc) on WIBC last night said..." if Kroger doesn't fire him, all the other employees will think they have the "RIGHT" to carry also! I called to correct them, and of course, they didn't put my comments on air!
    WIBC has been getting pretty bad lately. I wonder where the pressure is coming from?

Top Bottom