• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    We're only 685 officers short of the national average here in Indy. But I'm sure that has nothing to do with it.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    If they hired 50 officers a year, starting this year, it would take 7 years to get the manpower back to what it was in 2007 when they merged the departments. We were significantly understaffed then, it is beyond critical now.

Doesnt help when someone can shoot nine people and be back on the streets in less than two years.

s-works

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Are they counting marion county sheriffs in this 685 shortage?

indy has a larger sheriff presence than most metro areas do they not?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Are they counting marion county sheriffs in this 685 shortage?

indy has a larger sheriff presence than most metro areas do they not?

Why would they? They don't have any jurisdictional responsibilities outside of the jail and the city county building. They aren't certified police officers, they don't have beats to work.

MCSD has more people running around in uniforms than they did before the merger. The merger was done under the guise of eliminating the duplication of services. Seems something isn't right there, wouldn't you say? I'd think a taxpayer or two might question what was going on but apparently it's a non issue.

s-works

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for clearing that up.

Saw on the news that the 100 or so they are adding are just replacing retiring officers. Technically they are not even adding officers.

I had a guy who I am pretty sure was a drug dealer say that violence goes up when the drugs dry up.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I, for one, am getting tired of the mopes shooting each other. It's irritating, and it takes whomever responds to the scene off their beat for hours at a time, adding to the manpower shortage.

The Sheriffs do not help with calls for service in Marion County. Not at all.

IMPD retires +/- 50 officers per year. Adding 50 recruits next year and 50 the year after that won't make a dent.

Violence doesn't go up when the dope dries up. Heroin is making a resurgence, a huge resurgence, and it is contributing to the violence and some of the "nonviolent" deaths.

This summer isn't even a typical summer, weather wise, yet our homicides are off the hook. If it were 95+ degrees every day like last year, you may as well call out the national guard to keep the peace. We are lucky in that regard.

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    we should all just be more aware that the bangers and dealers are extra hyped up this summer....so keep an eye out and be safe....im not too upset about the police issue tho, as i see enough of them and dont feel in too much danger just cause theres a few less of em

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    While I agree that you cannot prevent murders, taking the thugs off of the streets certainly helps.

Exactly. And keep them off the streets.

Saw two fights and several drug deals go down in the last 4 working days at the double 8 markets around the city. Whats crazy is they see me working there...do not care, no fear of any kind.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    It was pointed out somewhere (NPR, etc) that typically, the current murders arent as bad as you would expect. Not that this makes it better... but looking at statistics, in the vast majority of these cases the following is true: They already have a criminal record, and they know the victim.

So its slightly comforting to know that Although the murder rate is up, as long as you arent a felon or associate with said felons, your likelihood in being killed (other than as a bullet catching bystander) is pretty damn low.:dunno:

Dont get me wrong, I wont be putting my sidearm away in the big vault for storage without its ammo anytime soon. It will remain on my side quite often. :)

Top Bottom