Indiana to start requiring Food Stamp recipients to work.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    en-ti-tle
    [en-tahyt-l] Spell Syllables
    Synonyms Word Origin
    verb (used with object), entitled, entitling.

1. to give (a person or thing) a title, right, or claim to something; furnish with grounds for laying claim:
    "His executive position entitled him to certain courtesies rarely accorded others."

2. to call by a particular title or name:
    "What was the book entitled?"
    3. to designate (a person) by an honorary title.

en-ti-tle-ment
    [en-tahy-tl-muh nt] Spell Syllables
    Word Origin

noun
    1. the act of entitling.
    2. the state of being entitled.
    3. the right to guaranteed benefits under a government program,
    as Social Security or unemployment compensation.

It seems you have a problem with people on Social Security and Medicare. That, of course, is your prerogative. When you reach a certain age, then try not signing up for either program.

I've been on SS for six years now, as I took early retirement at age 62. When I turned 65, I filled out the forms and enrolled in Medicare. Today, after my Medicare payment is taken from my SS payment, I end up with just under $900 a month. Oh yeah! We are getting a RAISE in January 2015. Can one really call a 1.7% increase a RAISE? From this, I pay rent, utilities, buy food, pay my insurance policies, put gas in the cars. Then I start counting the days to the 3rd of next month. From experiences in the insurance industry, I know there are a LOT of people out there getting less than me. How they stretch their SS payment is beyond me.

When I retired, a friend said, "If you work till age 66, you'll get full benefits." I told them that at age 62, I had been working for 50 years, and I was tired of it. Yes, money is tight now, but I am happy. Do I "enjoy"(your word) the benefits I receive? I can't use that word, but I am very grateful I have them.

A 'blanket statement' should not be used in this instance, and in most situations.

I'm going to go back to sitting in front of a window and watching the world go by.

Enjoy your day.

He said enjoying it.
    This is not an entitlement.
    I am on SS and a retirement benefit. Both of which I have been paying into my entire adult life and before. 1st SS deduction was early 1965. I would say it is a benefit not an entitlement sir.
    Now you tell me with a straight face and no fingers crossed behind your back that "You" will not take the benefit when you are of age.

Rightly or wrongly, you both feel entitled to receive payments from the government. I'm not passing a judgement on you, but that much is true by your own admission (and the definition). You're getting paid, enjoy it.

Your generation is lucky to have lived during America's prime. The younger generations have been left $18,000,000,000,000 of previous debt and will get to watch our standards of living and currency collapse before our eyes.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Social security is NOT an entitlement.
    Paying in doesn't exactly eliminate it's status as an entitlement.

en-ti-tle
    [en-tahyt-l] Spell Syllables
    Synonyms Word Origin
    verb (used with object), entitled, entitling.

1. to give (a person or thing) a title, right, or claim to something; furnish with grounds for laying claim:
    "His executive position entitled him to certain courtesies rarely accorded others."

2. to call by a particular title or name:
    "What was the book entitled?"
    3. to designate (a person) by an honorary title.

en-ti-tle-ment
    [en-tahy-tl-muh nt] Spell Syllables
    Word Origin

noun
    1. the act of entitling.
    2. the state of being entitled.
    3. the right to guaranteed benefits under a government program,
    as Social Security or unemployment compensation.

It seems you have a problem with people on Social Security and Medicare. That, of course, is your prerogative. When you reach a certain age, then try not signing up for either program.

I've been on SS for six years now, as I took early retirement at age 62. When I turned 65, I filled out the forms and enrolled in Medicare. Today, after my Medicare payment is taken from my SS payment, I end up with just under $900 a month. Oh yeah! We are getting a RAISE in January 2015. Can one really call a 1.7% increase a RAISE? From this, I pay rent, utilities, buy food, pay my insurance policies, put gas in the cars. Then I start counting the days to the 3rd of next month. From experiences in the insurance industry, I know there are a LOT of people out there getting less than me. How they stretch their SS payment is beyond me.

When I retired, a friend said, "If you work till age 66, you'll get full benefits." I told them that at age 62, I had been working for 50 years, and I was tired of it. Yes, money is tight now, but I am happy. Do I "enjoy"(your word) the benefits I receive? I can't use that word, but I am very grateful I have them.

A 'blanket statement' should not be used in this instance, and in most situations.

I'm going to go back to sitting in front of a window and watching the world go by.

Enjoy your day.
    Yes, I have a problem with it. They aren't using their money to fund their after-working days. They are using MY money. Do I understand people want to get back some of their stolen property? Yes. I don't have a problem with people recovering what they've put in. I have a problem with the system as a whole. No one should be responsible for funding someone else's responsibilities. I don't care how that pig is dressed up.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Rightly or wrongly, you both feel entitled to receive payments from the government. I'm not passing a judgement on you, but that much is true by your own admission (and the definition). You're getting paid, enjoy it.

Your generation is lucky to have lived during America's prime. The younger generations have been left $18,000,000,000,000 of previous debt and will get to watch our standards of living and currency collapse before our eyes.

No, I do not feel entitled by the currant sense of the word.

I am OWED. Pure and simple. If I could have invested that money I would be "Enjoying it not just getting by.

Again, in the purist sense of the word....."OWED"

Now, as to the generations that are following me, I did not want this for them. I see it coming but we are divided as a nation and in division comes defeat

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Paying in doesn't exactly eliminate it's status as an entitlement.

Yes, I have a problem with it. They aren't using their money to fund their after-working days. They are using MY money. Do I understand people want to get back some of their stolen property? Yes. I don't have a problem with people recovering what they've put in. I have a problem with the system as a whole. No one should be responsible for funding someone else's responsibilities. I don't care how that pig is dressed up.

I know you have a strong point to make but those of us who are collecting these benefits right now are recouping the moneys we have paid in over the course of our working lives and please believe me when I say the wife and I have done our "Fair" share to fund the system. With that funding it was a part of our retirement plans. With the loss of 3 401-K's during the crap storm it is now a bigger part of the retirement than we intended for it to be. We had a plan. Outside forces and my lack of a timely response to the crap storm put those planes in the dumpster.
    As I stated, if they had not raped the fund we would be OK for a long time. Am I getting your money right now........Maybe. I am not sure how all this will work out for you and those your age. In this I to have strong issues with the system.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    No, I do not feel entitled by the currant sense of the word.

I am OWED. Pure and simple. If I could have invested that money I would be "Enjoying it not just getting by.

Again, in the purist sense of the word....."OWED"

Now, as to the generations that are following me, I did not want this for them. I see it coming but we are divided as a nation and in division comes defeat

What you are saying is that current taxpayers owe you something. You feel entitled to a part of their paychecks because of some promise the government told you.

You were extorted your whole life through taxes. You subsidized the retirements of the generation before you. I get it. Its an evil cycle.

However, past evils do not future evils.

314756_410767675627406_1335157927_n.jpg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    What you are saying is that current taxpayers owe you something. You feel entitled to a part of their paychecks because of some promise the government told you.

You were extorted your whole life through taxes. You subsidized the retirements of the generation before you. I get it. Its an evil cycle.

However, past evils do not future evils.

314756_410767675627406_1335157927_n.jpg

Again you are twisting the issue. I know what is going on but am I supposed to just blow off what I am owed. Would you. I doubt anyone would say "No, I will let that money go" and I will not be one of them. I have paid in for near 50 years. I did not rape the system. No one asked me how to use the money. I actually did not get any of the memo's or get asked to the meetings. I just paid per the laws of the land. I still pay taxes on the money I am being paid for the taxes they took. Do I like it......Hell no, I do not.
    Now, when your turn on the wheel comes up what are you going to do if the system is still in place. Will you say "NO".

Yes, It is a giant poncy scheme. Do I feel the tax payers owe me, no not directly. I wish they had not taken the money. It was solvent until they made it part of the general fund. That is when it became a fear tactic towards getting elected. They took the money and left a worthless IOU. If I am lucky enough to get part of it back, well, sure. Again, I am more on the I am OWED side of this. One could use the word entitled but it really does not fit in the currant use of the word.

You are making a valid point but show me someone that will step out of that line. That may be where the word entitled might fit.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Again you are twisting the issue. I know what is going on but am I supposed to just blow off what I am owed. Would you. I doubt anyone would say "No, I will let that money go" and I will not be one of them. I have paid in for near 50 years. I did not rape the system. No one asked me how to use the money. I actually did not get any of the memo's or get asked to the meetings. I just paid per the laws of the land. I still pay taxes on the money I am being paid for the taxes they took. Do I like it......Hell no, I do not.
    Now, when your turn on the wheel comes up what are you going to do if the system is still in place. Will you say "NO".

Yes, It is a giant poncy scheme. Do I feel the tax payers owe me, no not directly. I wish they had not taken the money. It was solvent until they made it part of the general fund. That is when it became a fear tactic towards getting elected. They took the money and left a worthless IOU. If I am lucky enough to get part of it back, well, sure. Again, I am more on the I am OWED side of this. One could use the word entitled but it really does not fit in the currant use of the word.

You are making a valid point but show me someone that will step out of that line. That may be where the word entitled might fit.

The money you put into the system is gone. What you are "owed" can only come from one place: current (and future) taxpayers.

The logic is that since you were robbed, someone else must be robbed to pay you back.

And you're right about something: Practically everyone wants a payment when it is their turn. Currently 64 Million are expecting these government checks. The evil cycle will continue until the system collapses and everyone gets nothing. Enjoy it while it lasts.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The money you put into the system is gone. What you are "owed" can only come from one place: current (and future) taxpayers.

The logic is that since you were robbed, someone else must be robbed to pay you back.

And you're right about something: Practically everyone wants a payment when it is their turn. Currently 64 Million are expecting these government checks. The evil cycle will continue until the system collapses and everyone gets nothing. Enjoy it while it lasts.

I saw this years ago but alas, I had to keep shoveling into the giant poncy scheme as did everyone else. You are trying to make me feel some guilt in this. You are not succeeding.
    How many of those 64 million actually paid the full ticket. My wife and I did.
    I have been dragging a lot of dead weight behind me as well. As you say and correctly so, the money is gone. I have been paying for my parents your parents and possibly your and my grand parents to a point. I did it. Did not make me smile but I knew it had to be. Again, I was not invited to the meetings and neither were they. I pulled my load. Yes, my turn at the trough.
    I feel no guilt in this.
    Know I see it from your angle as well but this is anything but a black and white issue. I have grand kids that I am sure will be heavily burdened by the idiotic policy's of our current administration and those before it. I am powerless to change any of that. I am at a point that all my efforts are consumed by daily existence.
    If you and those who believe as you do can effect some change then I hope it works out.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city

They were forced by the govt to sit back and watch their money be legally STOLEN!! Now it's time for them to get a settlement of sorts. The govt is a sham and it's not their fault.
    soccial security is not welfare.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I wish people would stop having children they can't afford and stop taking money if they can seek gainful employement.
    i wish everyone could live off the land and have no income and therefore bankrupt the government but that's not gonna happen or be necessary because the govt is doing a fine job of bankrupting itself. Hopefully it will be finished soon and we can rebuild America

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The article about people receiving more than they put in is interesting, but I cannot prove it by my math. I think the results are badly skewed by people who are are drawing benefits that have been drafted into the program by immoral politicians. I meet a range of people at the Social security office. A few are old crazy people, but well over 1/2 sitting in the waiting area when I have been there are very young, like early twenties with infants and toddlers. I do know really understand why they are there. I paid in for 40 years, like I said before, about 1/2 the time I paid both the employer and the employee contribution. 3/4 of my career I maxed out. Any hardworking joe would get a raise in take home pay every fall as you met the max contribution. The last part of my wage earning time the max out level was so high even a big money earner could not reach that level. And also don't forget that the whole time I was paying Federal, State and Local income taxes in addition to taxes on everything I ever did except fart.

The numbers in that article are really outside of the things I have recently learned as I have started to draw benefit. With the benefit level I am receiving, (no medicare) it would take about 22 years for me to break even with my personal known cash contributions. During the 1/2 of my career when I was employed by others. Those employers contributed an equal amount to the government in leu of directly compensating me. So that would probably make break even period another 8 or 10 years longer.

I have been drawing for benefit for about 8 months. I have had 6 heart attacks since Jan 2012. Can anyone come up with tables that suggest there is even a chance for me to come near breaking even with my contributions? I refuse to accept any guilt for accepting the return of SOME of my money. The Government forced me by law to trust them to hold my money for this purpose. I also refuse to accept any guilt for the stealing of the funds to buy votes from the masses or for the inefficiency of the program. The medicaid costs are really not controlled by recepients either. I still pay for my own private insurance, so I am not taking any money through that channel.

Not everyone who draws their SS benefit is a scammer. ALL of the funding of the program has been from the labor of hard working people. My widower grand father received benefits for about 1.5 years, my mothers husband did not live long enough to see retirement and my mother had her own retirement. As mentioned, the likelyhood of me ever seeing 1/2 of what I contributed is probably in the tenths of percent measurement. For every scammer that is drawing more than they earn, there are at least two guys like myself have contibuted far more than we will ever see. That money is supposed to be sitting in a fund somewhere waiting to be used.

Be mad, be mad as hell about the way the politicians have made themselves rich by robbing from your present and future. But do not let them deflect your wrath onto legitimate Social Security recipients. That is not where the problems originated and SS recipents are not the ones stealing your future. If social security is shut down and eliminated, your present future and hopes and dreams will still be stolen by those that call themselves your leaders.

Last edited:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Ram, I bet 95+% of the folks here on INGO agree this is screwed up. I've made many of the same arguments you have in the past. When you become eligible to collect your SS and Medicare, will you sign up and collect yours?

(In full disclosure, even though I would have rather put my SS contributions and my employers' contributions in my own, private account over the years, I will sign up as soon as I turn 62 and collect it while I can, for as long as I can).

renauldo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 7, 2013
    2 close 2 Illinois
    I paid into SS for 50 yrs and then Medicare since it was enacted. SS was started in 1935 when the U.S. was still deep in the depression. At that point in time here were no retirement plans for anyone but the very rich. You worked till you dropped and nobody quit a job. SS provided people a road to retirement and when you retired your job was opened up to a new employee. SS paid your way to a degree until you died which was probably age 70-75 given longevity expectation in 1935.
    The problem is in 1955 as an example there were 27 people paying into SS for every one receiving SS. Today it's 3 paying in for every 1 receiving SS. Add to that the invasion of workers paid in cash to avoid taxes and SS payments. SS Disability is nothing but a free ride for many people and every case needs to be reviewed. Those that deserve it fine, those that don't GET A JOB.
    Trigger Time mentions welfare kids. Somehow these welfare people have to be convinced to police up their reproductive equipment. All they're doing is producing future generations of drug dealers and baby makers.

Last edited:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I know you have a strong point to make but those of us who are collecting these benefits right now are recouping the moneys we have paid in over the course of our working lives and please believe me when I say the wife and I have done our "Fair" share to fund the system. With that funding it was a part of our retirement plans. With the loss of 3 401-K's during the crap storm it is now a bigger part of the retirement than we intended for it to be. We had a plan. Outside forces and my lack of a timely response to the crap storm put those planes in the dumpster.
    As I stated, if they had not raped the fund we would be OK for a long time. Am I getting your money right now........Maybe. I am not sure how all this will work out for you and those your age. In this I to have strong issues with the system.
    No worries. I draw a distinction to a degree between SS and simple charitable welfare from the recipient standpoint. I have often said, on this forum even, that SS is recovering stolen property. :D However, it still qualifies as entitlement spending when the purpose of the discussion is revolving around the government's taxation and spending for "charitable" purposes.

Part of the reason I am so nitpicky on this is because if you knew it wasn't there (because it wasn't there) or that you may not get it, your retirement choices would very likely have been different. The fact that most people still continue to count on SS as at least a component of their retirement income is what makes it entitlement.

Brian Ski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana

Interesting. Don't think it is a juggling numbers thing, but what I read....
    According to the institute’s data, a two-earner couple receiving an average wage — $44,600 per spouse in 2012 dollars — and turning 65 in 2010 would have paid $722,000 into Social Security and Medicare and can be expected to take out $966,000 in benefits. So, this couple will be paid about one-third more in benefits than they paid in taxes.

Ok $966,000 with an average life expectancy of 77, retire at 65 is 12 years, (966,000/12) 80k a year and about $6700 a month. Seems to be 3-4 times higher than what people are getting.

I know we are dealing with averages. Some people may live to 90 and some people may never collect.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Interesting. Don't think it is a juggling numbers thing, but what I read....
    According to the institute’s data, a two-earner couple receiving an average wage — $44,600 per spouse in 2012 dollars — and turning 65 in 2010 would have paid $722,000 into Social Security and Medicare and can be expected to take out $966,000 in benefits. So, this couple will be paid about one-third more in benefits than they paid in taxes.

Ok $966,000 with an average life expectancy of 77, retire at 65 is 12 years, (966,000/12) 80k a year and about $6700 a month. Seems to be 3-4 times higher than what people are getting.

I know we are dealing with averages. Some people may live to 90 and some people may never collect.

The wife and I together get about half that amount. I will never pull out what has been paid in and we paid in more than the base figures they are using. The data is flawed.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    No worries. I draw a distinction to a degree between SS and simple charitable welfare from the recipient standpoint. I have often said, on this forum even, that SS is recovering stolen property. :D However, it still qualifies as entitlement spending when the purpose of the discussion is revolving around the government's taxation and spending for "charitable" purposes.

Part of the reason I am so nitpicky on this is because if you knew it wasn't there (because it wasn't there) or that you may not get it, your retirement choices would very likely have been different. The fact that most people still continue to count on SS as at least a component of their retirement income is what makes it entitlement.

Agree with you on most of this. Well, near all of it.
    We did have other options lined up but that was stolen as well. Had I been on top of the game we would not have lost so much but many factors played into that. I will take the hit as I should have been on point but there was this live like you are dying thing (I was) going on and I was not focused on this. Lessons learned.
    I will always have an issue with the "E" word as I see that more in line with the hand out for nothing crowd. Maybe I am in denial about that.

Top Bottom