Indiana to start requiring Food Stamp recipients to work.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Pot meet kettle-again why are you rooting for more government bureaucracy-because you're like the typical politician who wants regulations, rules and hoops to jump through unless it applies to your special interests or affects you-typical.
    I think you must have mistaken me for someone else. I am fine with the dissolution of ALL (federal) government spending unless it's enumerated in the Constitution. And I'm against all government spending at all levels unless it qualifies as a true economic public good. Lest you forget, I am the one who believes government schools are just another form of government welfare as well and should be abolished.

There's no deflection on my part. I haven't changed my tune or the direction of my argument one bit. My perfect-world solution is the elimination of redistribution of wealth. Barring that, I would like to see a more significant means test than the existing coupled with the imposition of restrictions that prevent the supposed 'handouts' from turning into something for nothing. That's not more government bureaucracy. That's making existing government bureaucracy less painful to the people said bureaucracy is raping.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    A pipe dream, certainly.

Therefore, the issue becomes how to do what is "needed" as efficiently as possible. Step one, figuring out what is "needed".
    I think we'd have less issue with what truly qualifies as "need," if we required the recipients to have some skin in the game. Let them decide what's needed. If the effort they must put forth is greater than their perceived benefit (i.e., having to remain gainfully employed vs. sitting on one's ass collecting the check), I think we'd find, they self-select for what is really needed. You'd be surprised (or probably not) how many times I've fielded phone calls from people for rentals who don't want to do the bare minimum to have a nice place to live. Eliminate the "something for nothing" aspect and I wouldn't be surprised to see an improvement.

Brian Ski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    I wonder if all the high and mighty people in this thread have ever been financially destitute.

I have never been that bad off, but I have always found a way to get by. There are other means to make money. Grab a shovel and a rake there is something you can do and get paid for it. I have done all kinds of things to make money.

I have found it interesting how most people on unemployment find a job within 30 days of the unemployment money running out. I have talked with many business owners that cannot find people who want to work. People come in for a while and then quit showing up.

I don't have an issue with the program as a temporary measure so people can get back on their feet. The issue is that this is a way of life with some people, maybe most, you have generations that are on the program.
    You have hit the nail right on the head. Why should my tax money go to people that drive more expensive cars then me and a house full of expensive toys??? There are people that move to different states just so they can get more money on welfare. My son was in highschool and he was talking to other classmate about what they want to do after highschool. Some girls said they were going to stay home and just go on welfare. They laughed when he said he was getting a job. There are generations on welfare and think it is normal. It should be a boost to help people not for generations to live on. There are more people on welfare in this country than ever before. Is it helping them or making them lazy and dependent???

There is a story from last summer (or was it 2013) A kid was caught buying a shopping cart full of pop with his Mom's food stamps. He went behind the store and poured them all out in the parking lot and was caught by the manager. The kid was going to turn them in for the deposit. Then they found out that it was not illegal to do. Sure pissed off a lot of people.

Brian Ski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    I was with a girl for awhile, and her family lived off of welfare. The whole family, aunts, uncles, grandparents, everybody. She didn't understand or like that I had to go to work every day. She just wanted to have kids so we could live off the .gov. That didn't last long.

That is what I am talking about. If you give people too much money (welfare) they will waste it and become dependent on it. If you give people barely enough they will want more and learn to work to better themselves. Sitting at home collecting a check and laughing at the people who go to work is making them worthless.

Bluejeeper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Montgomery County
    That is what I am talking about. If you give people too much money (welfare) they will waste it and become dependent on it. If you give people barely enough they will want more and learn to work to better themselves. Sitting at home collecting a check and laughing at the people who go to work is making them worthless.

Exactly. When I was getting stamps, I'd lost my job when everybody and their brother was out of work and looking for a job. I worked odd jobs when I could get them to pay rent and gas. As soon as I had a steady income, I went to the welfare office to make sure my "benefits" were cancelled. It took me two months to find a job, and that extra money for food was invaluable at the time.

Dr.Midnight, give me an address and I'll send you a thank you card :p

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    What shall be required of the farmer who is on government handouts?

QFT .... and I hear [crickets...]

But it is a very astute and fair question, sir....

May I suggest that many of them would do well to quit winding their baseball arm up - and perhaps put down that first stone... that said - it's a disease that affects all of us , the itch to throw that particular rock. That's why we were warned against it a long long time ago...

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    QFT .... and I hear [crickets...]

But it is a very astute and fair question, sir....
    Do you people not read? Can you not reach a reasonable conclusion about how any given member might address that specific example of government wealth redistribution based on her multitude of posts on the matter? Does she have to mention every single form of confiscatory theft and point it out as bad? :):

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Do you people not read? Can you not reach a reasonable conclusion about how any given member might address that specific example of government wealth redistribution based on her multitude of posts on the matter? Does she have to mention every single form of confiscatory theft and point it out as bad? :):

Not to go all Winston Churchill on you, dear madam...

But I'm afraid that if one wanted to AVOID your opinion on about any given topic around here, one would have to work very hard indeed.... :D

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    It's easy to find out how much farmer Joe, down the road received. If you want to throw stones at other folks you might as well know which target to look at first (And some of these numbers will make you want to start throwing something). Too bad we can't see what welfare-Wilma is receiving and still getting new tattoos, big screen tv's, cell phones, etc.

United States Farm Subsidy Search || EWG Farm Subsidy Database

Last edited:

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    Saying that all people on food stamps are crackheads is delusional and elitist.

I'm not as gifted as others on here at putting my thoughts and feelings into words, but I do know you won't find me making the above statement anywhere in this thread. There are people in the country that could use a little help, and I'll certainly lend a hand. What infuriates me are the drug users or just plain lazy bums that abuse the system.

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    This is a good thing in my opinion. I've long held the thought that you should have to perform community service to receive unemployment checks. Why in the hell should anyone be allowed to sit at home/stay in bed and collect a check?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    This is a good thing in my opinion. I've long held the thought that you should have to perform community service to receive unemployment checks. Why in the hell should anyone be allowed to sit at home/stay in bed and collect a check?

That was the Beauty of the WPA and CCC projects during the 1930's. Men could work on public works projects that benefited the community. Federal and local parks, road ways, drainage and retention ponds, etc were built by those needing work. You had to show up on time and do your job to be able to stay in the program. It paid enough that you did not have to starve or steal, but not enough that you quit looking for a better job. The workers kept their integrity and self esteem, and the tax payers got tangible assets in return. The WPA workers still had to be disciplined and exibit a good work ethic, which made it easier for them to transition into better, long term jobs. Since most of the work was local, there was a sense of community pride as your dad, brother and uncles built this park, so lets respect and care for it. The buildings were not covered with graffiti and vandalized as soon as they were finished like public housing buildings today. When the private sector could use all the workers, the WPA and CCC died out on its own, so there was no multi generational beauracracy to fund. As public works programs go, it was successful.

When President Regan tried to renew this type of program, dubbed "workfare" he was boo'ed and hissed, and called a racist. Political opposition from the left does not mean the idea does not have value.

With everything in America crumbling, and huge percentages of the population needing taxpayer support, I think the time is ripe for a "workfare" program. It would also help curtail the crime problem, as people who worked all day are too tired to hang around, drink and cause trouble.

Last edited:

Fred78

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    When we have a stock market with record high profits and a true unemployment rate of at least 18% something ain't right.

poptab

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Government charity is not.

Anyone who advocates that without government charity people would starve is simply informing you that they are selfish and would not donate to charity if the government did not force them.

Brian Ski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    That was the Beauty of the WPA and CCC projects during the 1930's. Men could work on public works projects that benefited the community.
    When President Regan tried to renew this type of program, dubbed "workfare" he was boo'ed and hissed, and called a racist. Political opposition from the left does not mean the idea does not have value.

Sounds like a great idea... It goes back to my idea of anyone not paying taxes should not get to vote. It falls into if I am gettign paid why should I work... I would vote for that.

Top Bottom