Indiana to start requiring Food Stamp recipients to work.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • heavyhitter1k

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    This happened at my local Krogers:

I'm using the self check lane and a very over weight kid walks up and asks if I'm going to pay cash. I ask what business is it of his, he shows me a EBT card and says I'll split the different with you. Let's get the point: kid is on food stamp and eats so much his over weight (so are his parents), they have money left over where they can pay for other people purchases and get cash back ... I assume if my bill was 50 that he'll charge 50 on his card I'd give him 25 in cash.

Should have taken him up on the offer, then not payed him the $$ back. Figured you already paid him when you payed taxes!

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Which is probably why we're all "high and mighty" having worked our asses off to get out of the jam instead of relying on others to do it for us.

Truth be told, I've found the moochers to be far more arrogant about these things. And I quote, "I ain't never worked a day in my life and I don't intend to." (That one is getting a lot of mileage around here lately.) Or the gal who demanded I insulate the detached garage.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    then those who feel they are in need should stop using it as one. Extortion is wrong too.

if you want to fund lazy, selfish people, get out your checkbook and write a ****ing check. I don't have a problem with helping people. I have a problem having my property confiscated under color of law for the stated purpose of helping the "needy" when it actually serves to give people an excuse to mooch. That some people do not fit the mold is largely irrelevant.

I grew up eating cereal for dinner on occasion (while my mom had nothing at all) because we were out of food and payday hadn't rolled around yet for another trip to the grocery store. She never took charity, from private sources or the .gov. But we lived in a small <900sqft 2BD home that needed a crap-ton of work and our living room decor consisted of lawn furniture and a small B&W television on a milk crate for the first year we lived there. My bed had belonged to my uncle and was given to her by my grandparents for my benefit, not hers. When she was finally able to afford a couch we got one and kept it for 20 years. We went without air conditioning because she couldn't afford it. I do know what it's like to be "that" close to tragedy.

I also know that so many of people who qualify as "needy" aren't. The definition of needy has come to encompass not living as high on the hog as one would like. I have a double in the ghetto that rents for $575/month, all utilities paid. do you know how many of my tenants have had big screen TVs, game systems, cable or satellite, the latest cell phones, tablets and/or laptops, and/or nice, new cars? All of them. Every. Last One. when I was growing up, you didn't spend money on luxuries and claim "needy" status because you didn't have money left over for housing or food.

I'll not feel a single ounce of guilt for begrudging the theft of my property to pay for entitlement benefits. I am a cheerful giver. And I usually do so such that my left hand doesn't know my right hand is doing it, as directed. But confiscating $30k of my income every year is not giving. And neither you nor anybody else has a moral right to lay claim to my property so that it can be taken and distributed to others how you/others see fit.

I'm tired of the bully tactic used to shame and humiliate people into accepting this theft scheme. I'm tired of the attitude that says someone who wishes to keep what he earns to use as he pleases is wrong. I'm tired of dishonest arguments that attempt to equate life experience with authority to hold an opinion. But mostly I'm just tired. Tired of working my ass off to pay for one lifestyle but not getting it because my earnings are confiscated so someone else can enjoy a lifestyle he didn't earn.

/rant off

^^^^^^^^^^^All of the above^^^^^^^^^

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Which is probably why we're all "high and mighty" having worked our asses off to get out of the jam instead of relying on others to do it for us.

Truth be told, I've found the moochers to be far more arrogant about these things. And I quote, "I ain't never worked a day in my life and I don't intend to." (That one is getting a lot of mileage around here lately.) Or the gal who demanded I insulate the detached garage.

As one example, there were times where we were the family you'd see pushing the grocery cart home from the grocery store because dad's only car was broken done and he couldn't afford to fix it. Same with tv's and air conditioners--if they broke down when dad was having a bad year, we did without (which happened often). I asked dad one day about "welfare", he said he'd do what he had to do to not lower himself to have to stick his hand out for help...to him, taking "welfare" meant he had failed as a man. And we had it pretty well off compared to some of the people I knew.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I wonder if all the high and mighty people in this thread have ever been financially destitute.

Honestly, I've never been destitute.

What I have done is work 60-70 hours a week for $5.00/hour so I wouldn't be destitute (after earning a B.A.)

What my wife and I have also done in live on a combined income of around $20,000 a year so I could go to school full time so that I could eventually have a career so we wouldn't be destitute.

I know there are truly needy people out there in desperate situations and my preference would be to replace government with private charity...which is possible, economically, though not politically. Since that is not going to happen, I don't think it is at all asking too much for a person who is being given the fruit of my labor, to do some work.

All the time I hear: "don't you think I'd work if I had the chance." Well, it's time to put my​ money where your mouth is.

Last edited:

JS1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 12, 2012
    Food should never be a weapon.

Then open your checkbook, and sign over your savings to the mooches.

I wonder if all the high and mighty people in this thread have ever been financially destitute.

Yes, I have. I found out the hard way that hunger is a powerful motivator. I never took a dime of any gov. assistance.

I also like how it was totally ignored by the bleeding heart, charity at the barrel of a gun advocate from above.

Funny that.

Also 88GT, I agree 100% with your rant. Well said.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In

I don't have an issue with the program as a temporary measure so people can get back on their feet. The issue is that this is a way of life with some people, maybe most, you have generations that are on the program.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Meanwhile more and more jobs are being done by robots. We don't need humans any more so let's just starve them and get rid of them. Writing these people off is not a viable long term solution. When everything is done by robots and no one has a job how will the money be distributed. This is the way it is going because of technology whether we like it or not.

Do you know what is not a viable long term solution? Insisting that yesterday's jobs be available infinitely. That has NEVER happened. Look up the etymology of the word "sabotage". The movement created a word, but didn't stop progress.

PEOPLE invent and build robots and program them and maintain them. PEOPLE do all manner of jobs, many that were not around 10 years ago. If a person chooses a path where they can be easily replaced by a robot, that person must be willing to learn and adapt.

The poor among us have a higher standard of living than the poor in any previous generation, but because jealousy reigns supreme, the fact others end up with more is somehow exploitive?

Someone is being exploited, but it is, by and large, not the poor.

[video=youtube;S6HEH23W_bM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6HEH23W_bM[/video]

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    You all are right-we should do what rambone said-add more government bureaucracy-that will fix it!:rolleyes: Meanwhile let's drug test all those bankers that got the bailouts. I suspect they received a lot more money than the poor ever will.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    You all are right-we should do what rambone said-add more government bureaucracy-that will fix it!:rolleyes: Meanwhile let's drug test all those bankers that got the bailouts. I suspect they received a lot more money than the poor ever will.

All the banks paid back their "bail out" money. I haven't even gotten so much as a thank you card from a crack-head.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    All the banks paid back their "bail out" money. I haven't even gotten so much as a thank you card from a crack-head.
    Standby. Pay attention to the news coming out of Mo. It might not be a thank you card but from many, you'll probably be hearing what you need to be doing next. That's sort of the same. Repeat business is a sign of appreciation, is it not?

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    The hallmark of a beaten line of argument: deflection.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    The hallmark of a beaten line of argument: deflection.
    Pot meet kettle-again why are you rooting for more government bureaucracy-because you're like the typical politician who wants regulations, rules and hoops to jump through unless it applies to your special interests or affects you-typical.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Pot meet kettle-again why are you rooting for more government bureaucracy-because you're like the typical politician who wants regulations, rules and hoops to jump through unless it applies to your special interests or affects you-typical.

I'm fine with leaving the "social safety net" to private organizations as long as taxes are cut proportionately. Keep government out of it altogether.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I think that would end up being a much better system. Unfortunately, I don't see the .gov agreeing to decrease itself.

A pipe dream, certainly.

Therefore, the issue becomes how to do what is "needed" as efficiently as possible. Step one, figuring out what is "needed".

Bluejeeper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Montgomery County
    A pipe dream, certainly.

Therefore, the issue becomes how to do what is "needed" as efficiently as possible. Step one, figuring out what is "needed".

Yes, and our idea of what is "needed" is quite different than those abusing the system. They need to find a way to get the abusers out of the system and save it for those that are legitimately in need. I don't have a problem with the system(I have been on food stamps and am not ashamed of it), I have a problem with the abusers of the system. But how to fix it?

I was with a girl for awhile, and her family lived off of welfare. The whole family, aunts, uncles, grandparents, everybody. She didn't understand or like that I had to go to work every day. She just wanted to have kids so we could live off the .gov. That didn't last long.

Top Bottom