• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Now you are throwing in a completely different term....public property, versus the earlier mentioned public property. In that regard, you are correct. Public property is that which is owned and maintained by the taxpayers. But a public restaurant is a "public place", although it is privately owned. As such, when it is open for business to the "public", then that owner is subject to the laws and ordinances in that particular jurisdiction...however non-sensical it may seem at times.

You are arguing over whether the patient died of lack of oxygen or asphyxiation. In either case the patient stopped breathing and died.

I have no problem with regulating private property available to the public limited to things like occupancy rates for fire management purposes where the public is not generally aware of how many people may safely occupy a building. I am absolutely opposed to nannyism. Smoking laws are nannyism and have no place in a free society.

Haven't they banned trans fats as well?

It's in their sights.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    On one hand I do not think the govt has a right to butt its nose into something like a private business allowing smoking or not. People have free choice of if they want to eat there or not. If the owner allows smoking and you don't like that, you are free to go elsewhere.

However, I am not gonna lie, its really awesome going to a bowling alley or bar and not smelling like crap when you get home.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    On one hand I do not think the govt has a right to butt its nose into something like a private business allowing smoking or not. People have free choice of if they want to eat there or not. If the owner allows smoking and you don't like that, you are free to go elsewhere.

However, I am not gonna lie, its really awesome going to a bowling alley or bar and not smelling like crap when you get home.

There is a business opportunity for someone to fulfill customer needs then. Hopefully owners will choose to go this route out of their own accord. Write letters to places you wish contained non-smoking arrangement.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    There is a business opportunity for someone to fulfill customer needs then. Hopefully owners will choose to go this route out of their own accord. Write letters to places you wish contained non-smoking arrangement.

As I said I don't think it's the governments place to mandate what a private business does as long as its within the limits of the law. I don't agree with smoking bans, I don't agree with seat belt laws, I don't agree with helmet laws, etc. People should have personal responsibility.

However, an argument could be made that families with smokers who sit in smoking sections place their children and other family members in harms way.

But I'm not going to write anyone because I am indifferent to if they allow it or not. I really don't care since Ft Wayne is already smoke free.

Ft Wayne used to have what was imo a good compromise. They had smoking sections, but they were completely separated by glass from the non smoking sections. It was great for the non smokers because you didn't have to smell like ass, but it still allowed smokers to enjoy their habit inside.

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    However, an argument could be made that families with smokers who sit in smoking sections place their children and other family members in harms way.

Nah, the argument would be that people who insist upon smoking in confined spaces are arrogant prigs with little concern for the comfort of those around them. It's akin to sharding your pants at the dinner table & insisting that everyone around you is just being sensitive.

That said, rude & inconsiderate behavior does not require more laws.

Fort Wayne handled the situation doubly unjust...they first required business owners to install smoker's aquariums...and then banned it altogether...in the matter of just a few years. Not only did they step all over private property rights, but they made it cost more than it should have.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    I gave up bowling and going to bars because of the smoke. While I believe the owners have a right to decide, from a practical point of view I would not allow smoking if I owned a restaurant. Why? About 25% of adults smoke. I would go for the 75% who don't. When Illinois did it a few years ago, there was a drop in bar patronage. I hear it has since picked up.

Duncan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2010
    South of Indy
    Charlie Brown (D-Gary) and his gop buddy Eric Turner are going to try again to get one passed and he thinks he has a good shot at it this time. Surprisingly, Mitch Daniels has said he'll sign it, if it gets to him. So much for non-intrusive, small government. Guess a gop sweep means more social engineering in Indiana, this go around.
    While I can't stand the smell of smoke, I vote with my dollars when it comes to patronising smoking establishments. I don't want the state telling a business what they can and can't do on their private property. This is just a bad idea, all around. Guess property rights don't mean much, at all anymore.
    Someone want to remind me what the difference is between the two wings, again?

Legislator: Statewide smoking ban could pass in 2011 | Indianapolis Business Journal | IBJ.com

Maybe to you but not to me .... he is running for Prez . and if indiana has to get shorted on freedom and liberty for him to get the nomination .. so be it .
    Duncan

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Nah, the argument would be that people who insist upon smoking in confined spaces are arrogant prigs with little concern for the comfort of those around them. It's akin to sharding your pants at the dinner table & insisting that everyone around you is just being sensitive.

That said, rude & inconsiderate behavior does not require more laws.

Fort Wayne handled the situation doubly unjust...they first required business owners to install smoker's aquariums...and then banned it altogether...in the matter of just a few years. Not only did they step all over private property rights, but they made it cost more than it should have.

There is one pretty substantial difference, that being crapping your pants doesn't give your loved ones and those around you potential life long lung problems including cancer.

Now I agree that Ft Wayne handled it wrong, if they wanted to ban it fine. But it was not cool to make businesses go to the expense of enclosing the smoking section for no reason.

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    i'm all for private business deciding if they want to allow smoking inside of their establishment or not, after all, i can choose not go there. however, i would be for a smoking ban for all public outdoor space. it chaps my A** when I'm out with my kids and someone is smoking right outside the door or at the park. you want to poison yourself, go right ahead, but what gives you the right to expose my children to it.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    i'm all for private business deciding if they want to allow smoking inside of their establishment or not, after all, i can choose not go there. however, i would be for a smoking ban for all public outdoor space. it chaps my A** when I'm out with my kids and someone is smoking right outside the door or at the park. you want to poison yourself, go right ahead, but what gives you the right to expose my children to it.

+1 and repped.

I generally have no problem with state or local governments regulating activities like smoking on public property like parks. It is when they regulate activities on private property I have issues.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Some people mention the poison that is produced by cigarettes and fail to realize the car or truck they are driving puts out much more poison then my pack a smokes I burn everyday. When you quit poisoning me with your poisonous exhaust fumes I will quit smoking.

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    Some people mention the poison that is produced by cigarettes and fail to realize the car or truck they are driving puts out much more poison then my pack a smokes I burn everyday. When you quit poisoning me with your poisonous exhaust fumes I will quit smoking.
    that's simply not factual

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Really? Let us sit in my garage with thirty smokers for an hour and see if I die. Turn the car on for just a little while......well I think that sums it up.

I agree that cigarette smoke is not deadly. Sure, it might shorten life spans a bit in some people with certain health risks...but I grew up in a cloud of cigarette smoke & lived to tell about it. What I have to tell is that I'm so glad that my clothes & hair no longer smell like :poop:.

I don't get upset that smokers are "trying to kill me", but rather that they're inconsiderate prigs who would get upset if I walked over to their dinner tables & farted, but have absolutely no misgivings about wafting their cigarette stench all around.

Again...regardless of smokers' inconsideration or my offense to it, we don't need to trample private property rights to avoid each other.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    If you choose to go to a venue that allows smokers then they really can't be accused of being inconsiderate when they exhale their smoke. You're on their turf, so you've really got no cause for complaint. If they come into a non-smoking place and fire up, then you have a case. And out in the open is fair game for all.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I agree that cigarette smoke is not deadly. Sure, it might shorten life spans a bit in some people with certain health risks...but I grew up in a cloud of cigarette smoke & lived to tell about it. What I have to tell is that I'm so glad that my clothes & hair no longer smell like :poop:.

I don't get upset that smokers are "trying to kill me", but rather that they're inconsiderate prigs who would get upset if I walked over to their dinner tables & farted, but have absolutely no misgivings about wafting their cigarette stench all around.

Again...regardless of smokers' inconsideration or my offense to it, we don't need to trample private property rights to avoid each other.

I would not waft a fart or smoke your way. I have actually had a fellow ingo member in my office/garage and asked him first if my smoking would bother him. In my on man cave I asked that. I do what I can....:)

Top Bottom