• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    Seen a line in front of my credit union, as I get closer the manager tells me its a firearm detector, I tell her so "a law abiding citizen is going to have a problem here?"
    She informs me if I wasnt law enforcement I was to leave a firearm in the car or leave it at home.
    I told her I won't leave my firearm locked in my car right next to the 5 or 6 homeless folks right behind your properties fence siting on the ground. Or provide a source firearm for the criminal element.

I told her I would use the drive thru,
    and also advised her that the Credit Union could also save themselves money by just telling the security guard to stay off his cell phone and stay vigilant.
    The guy is always playing games on his phone when Im in the lobby...

This is just a heads up for those who apply.
    Leave them at home, in the car or use the drive thru now on here at IMCU.

Mitt and East Wash.

Last edited:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Seen a line in front of my credit union, as I get closer the manager tells me its a firearm detector, I tell her so "a law abiding citizen is going to have a problem here?"
    She informs me if I wasnt law enforcement I was to leave a firearm in the car or leave it at home.
    I told her I won't leave my firearm locked in my car right next to the 5 or 6 homeless folks right behind your properties fence siting on the ground. Or provide a source firearm for the criminal element.

I told her I would use the drive thru,
    and also advised her that the Credit Union could also save themselves money by just telling the security guard to stay off his cell phone and stay vigilant.
    The guy is always playing games on his phone when Im in the lobby...

This is just a heads up for those who apply.
    Leave them at home, in the car or use the drive thru now on here at IMCU.

Mitt and East Wash.

They've been robbed more times than I can recall. They are a bit "gun shy". Most banks are anymore, if you ask them.

12many

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    over there
    Dang, that's the one I go to. So if I'm carrying my pocket knife and it is a metal detector (firearm detector???) I wonder if it will go off and then my goose is cooked??

22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Dang, that's the one I go to. So if I'm carrying my pocket knife and it is a metal detector (firearm detector???) I wonder if it will go off and then my goose is cooked??

I may have beaten a system like that before. I set off the metal detector and they asked what I had. I showed them my cased multi-tool and they allowed me in. I actually drive further now to avoid that bank and use one that doesn't screen me before entry.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    So how does the metal detecter stop them from being robbed? Does the security guard draw down on you as so as the alarm goes off?

BuckCreek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    When will people/businesses like this finally realize GFZs are simply welcome mats and big flashing neon commit insert crime(s) here because all the law abiding people here are defenseless signs for criminals. So they are basically saying to criminals: the only person in here that might be armed is the guard playing with his phone who could easily be overpowered. I still have an old account with them... maybe it is time to close it.
    :ugh::ugh::ugh:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    So how does the metal detecter stop them from being robbed? Does the security guard draw down on you as so as the alarm goes off?

It doesn't, but it does give the workers a heads up if by chance they need to make a quick escape. And some criminals who aren't exactly geniuses may steer clear upon seeing it. If that place has been robbed as often as has been said, you can't exactly blame them.

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Which location?

And which branch might this be? I have been a member for over twenty years now and primarily use the branches on the west side of Indy and in Avon. I have been open carrying in there for years and know for a fact that several of the tellers are armed as well as we frequently discuss firearms. :dunno:

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    It doesn't, but it does give the workers a heads up if by chance they need to make a quick escape. And some criminals who aren't exactly geniuses may steer clear upon seeing it. If that place has been robbed as often as has been said, you can't exactly blame them.
    So does the doors lock so the robbers can't go in?

DaCoach

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Greenwood
    So does the doors lock so the robbers can't go in?

Your statement is correct. In most cases, the metal detector is just part of what are called "man trap" doors. The basic premise is that you enter through the outer door and pass through a metal detector. If you pass the screening process, and the outer door is closed/latched, you will be able to enter through the inner door (a green indicator light will serve as your "all clear"). If you do not pass the screening, a teller or manager will be able to communicate with you via a two-way communication system (just like the drive-through). If your keys, or other acceptable item, set off the sensor, they will buzz you in. If they cannot identify what set off the detector, you can exit the way you entered. The doors also limit entry and exit to one person at a time (one coming and one going). It is also possible to trap/lock someone in between the doors.

The above description is an example from the bank I used to work for a couple of years ago. I managed a branch at 56th and Georgetown. This location was robbed at least once per year for six straight years (three times one year). The bank determined it was cheaper to install the doors, rather than hire a security guard. Since the doors were installed, the branch has not been robbed. The doors have been in place for three years. That said, the doors are a pain in the butt. They are very sensitive and required constant adjustment. For obvious reasons, they left a lot of customers upset. Having worked at a bank, I understand both sides of this discussion.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Your statement is correct. In most cases, the metal detector is just part of what are called "man trap" doors. The basic premise is that you enter through the outer door and pass through a metal detector. If you pass the screening process, and the outer door is closed/latched, you will be able to enter through the inner door (a green indicator light will serve as your "all clear"). If you do not pass the screening, a teller or manager will be able to communicate with you via a two-way communication system (just like the drive-through). If your keys, or other acceptable item, set off the sensor, they will buzz you in. If they cannot identify what set off the detector, you can exit the way you entered. The doors also limit entry and exit to one person at a time (one coming and one going). It is also possible to trap/lock someone in between the doors.

The above description is an example from the bank I used to work for a couple of years ago. I managed a branch at 56th and Georgetown. This location was robbed at least once per year for six straight years (three times one year). The bank determined it was cheaper to install the doors, rather than hire a security guard. Since the doors were installed, the branch has not been robbed. The doors have been in place for three years. That said, the doors are a pain in the butt. They are very sensitive and required constant adjustment. For obvious reasons, they left a lot of customers upset. Having worked at a bank, I understand both sides of this discussion.
    So all I have to do is show my key ring that has thirty keys on it and then they'll let me in?

Bowman78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Camby
    That branch has been robbed at least 3 times in the last 2 years maybe 4 times...I know for a fact.. I also work about 1 1/2 miles from there.. Auto dealer.. I always have a firearm on or near me as we'll as a few co-workers...it's not a bad area per se but that branch is ripe for the picking... The area directly south gets very rural and outside of impd borders and not a lot of other police presence.. Seems as most financial institutions that get robbed get multiple visits..... Btw that's the only imcu branch so equipped other than gov center branch...

DaCoach

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Greenwood
    So all I have to do is show my key ring that has thirty keys on it and then they'll let me in?

The way our doors were set up, yes. We actually had a camera directly above the little shelf (pointing down at the shelf). We would have a customer set their items on the shelf and step back through the sensor again. If the sensor did not go off at that point, we would let the customer in the door. To be honest, if we knew the customer, we would just buzz them in without going through that last step.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    I started to get a little worked up, took it a little personal, called some friends all worked up etc,,for the most I kept my cool. Told her I better just go through the drive thru.
    After, I knew they must have had proper reasoning and it wasn't just a 2A issue. Robberies ? Close calls ?

She called it a "Fire Arm detector" from what I seen a few posts back and heard, it picks up on bulk metal items, not keys, small pocket knives, but pistols.
    I wonder if the ol G-19 would have set it off:dunno: I know the full mag would:popcorn:

East Side Mitt and East Wash

Last edited:

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog

Could I just walk away or would I have been trapped where you worked at?

Top Bottom