• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pwoller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    All it takes is to find out when employees are leaving/entering the building, again you don't think outside the box much do you? I bet you think gun control works too.

You don't know much about banks do you? Let me guess just what you've seen in the movies right? What makes you think I believe gun control works? Which I don't.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    You don't know much about banks do you? Let me guess just what you've seen in the movies right? What makes you think I believe gun control works? Which I don't.
    I don't know much about banks but my wife was a branch manager for five years so I do know a little. From what I gather between are post is that you think that this man traps will stop robberys if installed just like gun control will not stop mass shootings. I know they will not stop robberys, do you?

pwoller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I don't know much about banks but my wife was a branch manager for five years so I do know a little. From what I gather between are post is that you think that this man traps will stop robberys if installed just like gun control will not stop mass shootings. I know they will not stop robberys, do you?

I'm not going to continue beyond this because I don't want to put a bunch of details on how they work on the internet. I never said they would stop robberies but they will stopped armed robberies if the tellers use them correctly. I don't really see a correlation between mass shootings and armed bank robberies. GFZ's just put a sign on the door they don't actually do anything to keep the criminals with the weapons out of these areas.

On another note if your wife worked in banking, like a real bank not some little small town bank then you know they have proceedures they follow for everything. These procedures are based on industry best practices. If you can dream it up its happened already and banks plan for that. Standing outside the back door isn't really an original out of the box idea like you think it is. But hey if you think its a good, original, outside the box idea go for it. Send me a letter from the clink.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    I'm not going to continue beyond this because I don't want to put a bunch of details on how they work on the internet. I never said they would stop robberies but they will stopped armed robberies if the tellers use them correctly. I don't really see a correlation between mass shootings and armed bank robberies. GFZ's just put a sign on the door they don't actually do anything to keep the criminals with the weapons out of these areas.

On another note if your wife worked in banking, like a real bank not some little small town bank then you know they have proceedures they follow for everything. These procedures are based on industry best practices. If you can dream it up its happened already and banks plan for that. Standing outside the back door isn't really an original out of the box idea like you think it is. But hey if you think its a good, original, outside the box idea go for it. Send me a letter from the clink.

You think the schematics, or principle of operation are not already available online? Naivete. Silent alarms are everywhere, cameras are everywhere, locked doors sensitive to RFID badges are everywhere, dye packs are everywhere - high tech is everywhere, and yet - banks still get robbed. Most of them are very low tech even.

pwoller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    You think the schematics, or principle of operation are not already available online? Naivete. Silent alarms are everywhere, cameras are everywhere, locked doors sensitive to RFID badges are everywhere, dye packs are everywhere - high tech is everywhere, and yet - banks still get robbed. Most of them are very low tech even.

I know its out there but I'm not going to be responsible for it. Whats with all the name calling?

These units aren't low tech. If you don't like them then just bank somewhere else, there really aren't that many in Indianapolis. But if you think they don't deter armed and unarmed robberies then you really don't know what you are talking about.

Last edited:

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    I know its out there but I'm not going to be responsible for it. Whats with all the name calling?

These units aren't low tech. If you don't like them then just bank somewhere else, there really aren't that many in Indianapolis. But if you think they don't deter armed and unarmed robberies then you really don't know what you are talking about.

Name calling? It is naive to think that these plans are not already available online. That's not name calling. As for 'low-tech,' I was obviously referring to robberies being low-tech.

pig957

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Under an oppressive government
    I was surprised when I found this thread and disappointed in IMCU (I am a member, for now). I e-mailed Member Services and was told to contact the Branch manager. The following is the response that I received from John Newett, Director, Planning and Administration

Mr. Pig,

Thank you for your membership and business over the years. I will attempt to address your concern with the new security doors.

After two very difficult robberies (with guns) in the past year, we were in a position of determining how to maintain a viable branch in this location, and protect our members and staff. While we understand your concerns, and fully support the Second Amendment, we were forced to make a business decision to protect our members and staff.

We are not taking any position, or making any arguments regarding the Second Amendment. Rather, we are simply keeping guns out of our branch. We understand that you have a different perspective, and we respect that; however, we will not allow guns into the branch.

We hope that you can understand our perspective on this issue.

John Newett
    Director, Planning and Administration

As I read this message, I believe this pertains to this branch only. However, there are 25 Credit Unions in Indianapolis, I think I will start looking at the other 24.

pwoller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    The other alternative is to close the branch.

I'll give you an example. There is a not so nice area in Michigan that used to have a lot of different banks. Multiple armed robberies at many of the branches caused all of the banks in the area to close except one. The one chose to stay open to service the people in the area but added a secured vestibule. Its a tough choice but a good one in my opinion.

Last edited:

pig957

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Under an oppressive government
    The other alternative is to close the branch.
    I'll give you an example. There is a not so nice area in Michigan that used to have a lot of different banks. Multiple armed robberies at many of the branches caused all of the banks in the area to close except one. The one chose to stay open to service the people in the area but added a secured vestibule. Its a tough choice but a good one in my opinion.

I agree. If this branch is that prone to robberies, then they should close this branch and open one in a better area.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    So having dead cops, robbers and customers is a better solution in your opinion.

Robbers tend to hit the "easy" target. A 65 year old rent a cop with 25 minutes of training is easy.

They tend to get the word when banks have several real armed guards, and armed tellers. It's called a fleet in force.
    It has an effect without even having to fire a shot.

It has a longer history than your device, which tends to get disconnected by people when they are tired of false positives.

But go ahead and tell us how human nature has changed, and nothing like this has ever happened before in the history of mankind.

pwoller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Robbers tend to hit the "easy" target. A 65 year old rent a cop with 25 minutes of training is easy.

They tend to get the word when banks have several real armed guards, and armed tellers. It's called a fleet in force.
    It has an effect without even having to fire a shot.

It has a longer history than your device, which tends to get disconnected by people when they are tired of false positives.

But go ahead and tell us how human nature has changed, and nothing like this has ever happened before in the history of mankind.

There are ways to prevent the units from being disconnected. I agree though that they hit easier targets but I have also seen police officers in branches, in uniform that get robbed and then the bullets fly and there is a chance of the PD, employees of the banks or customers to get hurt or killed. I stand by my statement that these are more effective and short of a police officer standing near the front door of a branch more of a deterrent. Plus they don't get sick or take breaks.

"fleet in force" I've never heard that term so I googled it and there doesn't appear to be much information or history about it. But I'm the one that needs a history lesson huh?

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    There are ways to prevent the units from being disconnected. I agree though that they hit easier targets but I have also seen police officers in branches, in uniform that get robbed and then the bullets fly and there is a chance of the PD, employees of the banks or customers to get hurt or killed. I stand by my statement that these are more effective and short of a police officer standing near the front door of a branch more of a deterrent. Plus they don't get sick or take breaks.

"fleet in force" I've never heard that term so I googled it and there doesn't appear to be much information or history about it. But I'm the one that needs a history lesson huh?

The internet is a recent invention (compared to the history of humans).
    A fleet in force, or fleet in being, would be a fleet that ties up the enemies resources, merely by the act of existing.
    The enemy can not ignore the fleet, so it can't reposition the ships to other areas where they are needed. Yet they just sit, without battle.

pwoller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    The internet is a recent invention (compared to the history of humans).
    A fleet in force, or fleet in being, would be a fleet that ties up the enemies resources, merely by the act of existing.
    The enemy can not ignore the fleet, so it can't reposition the ships to other areas where they are needed. Yet they just sit, without battle.

I did see some of the navel refrences but didn't think they had much to do with banks. I guess if you could get every employees to carry, armed off duty PD and get the word out that if you rob this bank you will be shot that would be very effective. This would be a very tall task.

I get that most people on here don't like the units but that doesn't make them not work. They are very effective. I know of branches that have had them for around 5 years, these are branches that used to get robbed a couple times a year, and they have yet to have another robbery since the units were installed. Additionally the neighboring banks still get robbed frequently.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    A point is, that after being successful, it is human nature for the bank to want to discontinue. Real guards were successful, but, hey we haven't had a robbery, so let's get rid of them.
    Hey, we haven't had a lot of need for the police, so let's cut back the PD.
    It will be because of false positives, and repairs over time, that they will cut back. Human nature.
    Over and over and over and over.

Then, robberies will happen again, and everyone will run around trying to fix the "new" problem.

Top Bottom