• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    The scenario: Someone invites me, and my car, onto their property and invites me into their house.

As long as what is in my car complies with state and federal law, then I don't think it's content is their business since anything in the car is contained inside my property, and locked up. I don't expect to be asked if it contains a gun, a baseball bat, or a cd player. They might not like music or baseball, but maybe I do.

If the property owner wants to search my car for safety reasons, then I would want to search their house for my safety. Or they could just invite me over, but demand that I use off-site parking. Or I could probably just park on the public street out front? Not always possible in all areas.

At the same time, it's a tough call. At what point does my rights interfere with the other parties?

You are 100% right. The business owner has no right to know the contents of your vehicle. But he does have the right to "ask." Conversely you can tell him "it's none of your business."

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    You are 100% right. The business owner has no right to know the contents of your vehicle. But he does have the right to "ask." Conversely you can tell him "it's none of your business."
    He also has the right to tell you to get off his property if he doesn't like your answer. Oh wait, that right was now taken away...

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    As far as personal property rights, I'd go so far as to concede that my personal rights STOP the moment my feet touch concrete in the parking lot.

I'd go so far to concede for employers have the right to ask any question they want in regards to my opinion on policy... while I'm on employer grounds AND on the clock.

Past that, they can pound sand.

Last edited:

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    RadFront.jpg

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    What's the point of owning land if you can't make the rules regarding it?
    +1. obviously we are all for the right to bear arms, and most of exercise on a daily basis, but if you work for someone that doesn't want firearms on their property or in their place of business, you have a right to seek other employment. What about the rights of the person who writes the checks? If I'm the one taking all the risk, and paying all the bills, doesn't that mean that I should also be the one that makes the rules.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    As far as personal property rights, I'd go so far as to concede that my personal rights STOP the moment my feet touch concrete in the parking lot.

I'd go so far to concede for employers have the right to ask any question they want in regards to my opinion on policy... while I'm on employer grounds AND on the clock.

Past that, they can pound sand.

I don't agree with this, either. They should be able to employ you or not employ you for ANY reason.

So if they happen to see you driving your other car off work with an NRA sticker on it, they should be able to fire you for that, in my book.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Thats awesome now if only we could pass a campus carry law so people with LTCH's can carry on state university's. I believe Texas just passed it.
    It is not illegal to carry on university property. It is only against school policy. Pretty much the same as any business. If you are a student, you could, and probably would be expelled. If you are an employee, you could be fired. If you are visiting, you could be ask to leave.

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    I don't agree with this, either. They should be able to employ you or not employ you for ANY reason.

So if they happen to see you driving your other car off work with an NRA sticker on it, they should be able to fire you for that, in my book.

That would be violating my freedom of speech/ expression if they fired me for a sticker on my car. I can concede firing me if I suck as a worker or you just don't like me but not for a sticker.
    if you want that kind of freedom, then I should be able to withhold all of your tax exemptions because you are being obtuse and I pay taxes.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    That would be violating my freedom of speech/ expression if they fired me for a sticker on my car. I can concede firing me if I suck as a worker or you just don't like me but not for a sticker.
    if you want that kind of freedom, then I should be able to withhold all of your tax exemptions because you are being obtuse and I pay taxes.

No, it wouldn't....
    (unless you work for a govt agency)

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Technically your right.
    Just like I also have the freedom to ruin your business.
    I am just saying that if I am a crappy worker fire me. Why would you just fire someone anyway. Guess I just choose not to be a dick.

No one's sayin it's not a dick move, but it should be a protected move. In a free market society, employers that make stupid decisions will eventually have to answer for in via the public.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    If I'm an employer and I can't fire you for any reason, then I think that as an employee you must have a good reason to quit.

So, if my business depends on your services and you quit for some BS reason, I want a law to protect me or at least be able to sue you.

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    If I'm an employer and I can't fire you for any reason, then I think that as an employee you must have a good reason to quit.

So, if my business depends on your services and you quit for some BS reason, I want a law to protect me or at least be able to sue you.

QFT!

Business should have the right to terminate anyone they please, just like a person has the right to choose if they want to work there or not.

If you were compensated for your services ( or lack there of ) there should be no issues for an employer having the RIGHT to choose who represents their image.

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana

Try working as a nurse. You can quit but almost all jobs want one month notice if you want to remain employable in the area.
    They threaten not to pay you any accrued vacation without proper notice.
    oh yeah. Let's not forget how they threaten to fire you if you don't work over, if you need the day off for family without 2 hour notice, and if you call in sick too much when you are exposed to every possible disease on the planet daily.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN

Sure they COULD, but who would be so illogical and asinine to do something that would require THAT much paperwork without due cause?

My boss hates firing people, and he's a gun guy, too... so I think I'd be okay with him. My DIRECT supervisor, maybe not so much... but I could always appeal with my boss.

They CAN decide to fire me if I fail to comply with corporate policy, slack off at my job, or do something RIDICULOUSLY stupid that would endanger myself, patients, and, other co-workers... which I would fully expect, suck up, and deal with if I had.

Top Bottom