• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    If as many say on here is true-- that Indiana restricted rifles to increase deer herd---

IS NOT THAT BEING FRIENDLY TO HUNTERS !!!!!

To give them more deer, a larger herd...Ed

That is all fine and dandy when the herd is small. Now it is more than healthy and I have to dodge about 10 a day on sub-urban roads. Kentucky's herd is also doing extraordinarily well even with every hillbilly with a rifle. Kentucky regulates areas not firearms. In Zones 3&4 the modern gun season is normally a few days shorter and/or harvest numbers more strict. Season is also almost 2 months longer.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    So the bar for centerfire rifles is topography and trees ? You ever been to Kansas ? Good thing we don't use the same litmus test or I would have to sell my .280, 25-06 and 22-250.

I here ya. People here think this state is flat, they should see Kansas. Kansas is rifle legal and known for ginormous deer. Maybe rifles are good for the deer size.

HOLY LAND

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Greenwood
    Our state is not really as flat as people would like you to believe if you go to southern Indiana there are tons of hills and valleys. Everyeone who wants change in hunting laws please help support me and this petition.

Thank you All even people who dont agree because its good to have open debate and not just shut each other down.

hubel458

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    The 3 incidents I mention. are just here in about a one county area.
    The rifle area in MI is about 50 counties I think..

And there has been bad injuries and deaths from falls out of tree stands,
    probably as many as gun incidents. We try to make tree stands stronger and safer,
    so what is wrong with making the gun part of the operation safer. Every little bit helps.
    It is crazy when you have people accidently hit and the bullets came from so
    far away they couldn't be traced. I'm not a killjoy, hunting is a fun, highly
    neccessary shooting sport, and we should make it as safe as practical.

Practical and gets lots of shooting time--When woods is crowded hunt with shotguns
    and short range big bores...and take the rifles with high speed pointed bullets and go
    to range with big backstop, on a regular basis and punch paper. Few hour every
    so often...on a regular basis.... at a range is great fun also....Ed

Last edited:

hubel458

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    What numbers have I changed. I said all along(in this apparently
    pointless discussion, like I'm lying) 3 incidents around here.. Here being about one county.

Only on later posts did I mention the rifle area above the shotgun/rifle dividing
    line is about 50 counties... Which would indicate more accidents probable in
    25-30 or so years. How many total for rifle area I don't know.

Oh and I read articles saying that the PA study is bunch of houey by other
    folks doing research who've studied hunting accidents there and elsewhere.

One of incidents was neighbor lady, girl scout leader with full car of scouts,
    who got wounded in the side when a bullet came though window of car,
    while going down the road, don't know where it came from. During deer season.

My Quote--Hunting is a fun, highly neccessary shooting sport, and ....................

Notice it is a shooting sport, comes under that heading as one of the shooting sports.

Target, benchrest, trap, clays, reloading, etc, are others under that heading..

Hunting don't come first, shooting and gun ownership does,so the end all and be
    all isn't that hunters have absolute right to any weapon types in the hunting field,
    but have a right to arms, and to own them, and self protection rights,
    and the states have a right to regulate hunting with them
    based on safety, conditions and hunter numbers. Ed.

Last edited:

HOLY LAND

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Greenwood
    Hubel, since when did having the right to bear arms get defined in one area or another? It is all encompassing by nature. We are not trying to divide any group we are just wanting equal rights. Indiana would be a wonderful place to hunt with rifles. We are not trying to limit anyones else. I agree Cerberus.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    If a 44 magnum out of a rifle is fired into the air and a 30-06 is fired into the air why is it assumed that the 30-06 is SOOOOOO MUCH MORE likely to hit someone? All people are on the ground typically so the distance traveled in the time the bullet is 6 feet off the ground to 1.5 feet off the ground (distance to hit vital or major artery) isn't much of a difference. And if you're assuming the rifle is fired at an upwards trajectory then the bullet will come in a more downward trajectory...in that case a .223 is just about as likely and lethal as a 50BMG. It isn't much more likely...the difference is extremely minor and I wouldn't even begin to know how to calculate it.

Much to do about nothing.

The best comparison would be KY or Northern MI. No excessive problems that I've heard of.

I've heard some of these same type arguments form Antis and fudds....now it's just applied to this topic.

Add the 358 Winchester...my favorite round.

hubel458

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    I know of 3 incidents in one county area in MI rifle area.That has to be problem....
    And pointed high speed bullets fired in upwards trajectory will go twice
    as far as a 44mag. And danger of hitting wrong thing is increased because it
    is going further where the shooter doesn't know qhat is there....or can see..

Point I'm making is what would the outcry be if state allowed and hunters used rifles
    for bird hunting. The game belongs to public, and a lot of people's hunting is done on
    others property and the publics state property. They regulate bag limits, so they
    can regulate what you hunt with. They are only regulating that, not the right for
    defense of home, not the right to own , not the right to reload, not the right to
    do the many other shooting sports........

If your a nimrod that only shoots a gun for deer season, and many around here are and for example
    you own 7mm mag and all you do is the 15 deer days, and don't do anything else in the way
    of guns and shooting...................you just are supporting the antis who say guns
    are only for hunting, not a right of ownership and all other uses given by God
    that the 2nd affirms....Ed

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    I know of 3 incidents in one county area in MI rifle area.That has to be problem....
    And pointed high speed bullets fired in upwards trajectory will go twice
    as far as a 44mag.

Who fires in an upward trjectory? Both states are fairly flat. Most hunters either hunt from an elevated stand at a ground target (downard trajectory) or a ground level blind at ground level target (level trjectory) so all this elevated trjectory argument is null and void. Shotgun bird hunters are the only group shooting into the air, besides for the shotgun dominated squirrel hunters. Maybe it's the shotgun only Fudds that need to be reigned in.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Who fires in an upward trjectory? Both states are fairly flat. Most hunters either hunt from an elevated stand at a ground target (downard trajectory) or a ground level blind at ground level target (level trjectory) so all this elevated trjectory argument is null and void. Shotgun bird hunters are the only group shooting into the air, besides for the shotgun dominated squirrel hunters. Maybe it's the shotgun only Fudds that need to be reigned in.

Doesn't take much topography to make for a possible upward angle. Even minor ridges can skyline a deer, and if a hunter is below, well....................
    (that is why one should never shoot at anything skylined).

Also, doesn't take much of a branch to kiss a bullet in passing to deflect it at an upward angle.

No, Indiana doesn't have mountains, but at the edge of a river's floodplain it can be rather hilly and rugged. I hunted such a spot for almost 20 years, north central IN.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Doesn't take much topography to make for a possible upward angle. Even minor ridges can skyline a deer, and if a hunter is below, well....................
    (that is why one should never shoot at anything skylined).

Also, doesn't take much of a branch to kiss a bullet in passing to deflect it at an upward angle.

No, Indiana doesn't have mountains, but at the edge of a river's floodplain it can be rather hilly and rugged. I hunted such a spot for almost 20 years, north central IN.

And this happens a whole lot in Indiana, yet rarely ever in other states where rifles are legal? Say like Kansas? Or flat Western Kentucky? Or just about anywhere down south? I guess Hoosiers are so dumb that Fudds without one stitch of documantation should rule the day?

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    On two different occasions (and locations) on previously stated place, I had deer nearby running ridges (one actually on a field next door) and people shot at them, bullets came whizzing and clacking past me. IIRC the guys who sent a rather sizable volley at the deer in the neighboring pasture ridgeline were from Illinois (heard they got busted).

I've had bullets zing by while hunting flat ground too, twice while hunting groundhogs and idiots not using frangible bullets shooting at chucks, from positions off the property (they had no permission).

Not all Hoosiers are stupid. I understand the regs, and politics/other aspects of them just fine.

People who are stupid pose a risk to others all the time, I doubt state of residence or origin plays into it as much as you suggest.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Pay attention to the thingie at the end of my last sentence. It was more a rhetorical question that an accusation.

And how do you manage to get shot at so much?

Shadow8088

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    I doubt state of residence or origin plays into it as much as you suggest.

You've apparently never hunted in Pennsylvania where people have to spray paint the word "COW" on the sides of their herd and you know those decorative concrete deer people put in their yards? people put hunter orange vests on them so the jackholes from NJ don't shoot em... I wish I was kidding...

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    FWIW

My best deer spot was not too far from Chicago, was hilly, and a sanctuary was nearby where the public often saw B&C caliber bucks.

Top poaching township in a top poaching county (inclusive of local morons).

Geee, that might have something to do with the incident rate.

Or maybe it's because I actually hunted a lot of critters a freakin' bunch, for decades. Of course I'm older now and just spend most of my free time being an arse on forums.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    You've apparently never hunted in Pennsylvania where people have to spray paint the word "COW" on the sides of their herd and you know those decorative concrete deer people put in their yards? people put hunter orange vests on them so the jackholes from NJ don't shoot em... I wish I was kidding...

So is that cultural, genetic or affected by something in the soil or water? ;)

Top Bottom