• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ArevaloSocom

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2014
    Hobart
    I personally would not purchase from someone that requires I show my LTCH. Yeah I have one as well as an Federal Firearms Collectors license. I just don't like to see supposed supporters of the 2nd amendment adding requirements to already over regulated firearm possession laws.

I would certainly like to see some PROOF that ANYONE has been hassled or brought into court that simply sold a firearm to any citizen over 18 that was a resident of the same state - If they DIDN"T KNOW the sale was illegal! I have never seen or heard of any such issues. Granted a police officer may ask you if you did sell a firearm to XXX to aid in evidence in a case, but that certainly wouldn't get you into trouble of any kind unless the ATF or police could PROVE you knew they were not legal to possess one. Sure there are cases of straw purchases where the person selling the firearm bought it for a known felon and cases of felons being prosecuted for sales to another felon - but those don't apply to any of us (I sure hope).

I know of many people that possess firearms that do not wish to carry or obtain their LTCH. Some are regular skeet / clay shooters, some family members even some hunters. Should they be denied a FTF transaction because they didn't obtain a LTCH? By the way a LTCH could be "forged" in a matter of minutes on just about any computer with a printer and pink paper!

My feelings exactly.....

I do not forsee anyone being able to cite a example either.....

It's a feel good thing for those sellers IMHO.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Honestly, I wouldn't feel like I was really protected unless we went through a FFL, and I've never done that. You can otherwise check whatever you want and it doesn't, in my mind, totally preclude being hassled in some way if the gun is used in a crime.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I sold a shovel to a guy once.

In hindsight, I really wish I had asked to see an agricultural permit, maybe a landscaping or construction license of some sort to protect me in case he ever used that shovel in a crime.

We need to keep these deadly shovels out of the wrong hands.

*DING* "Ow!"

JohnMcClane

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2014
    Indy
    It's an interesting topic. What do we feel is good practice, both legally and morally? Some feel that the legal requirements are enough while others feel compelled to do more. I agree with the previous views that the seller sets his own terms and we decide if those terms are reasonable. I think we all would be interested in making sure firearms stay out of the hands of those not a Proper person but we are only required to refrain if we KNOW someone is not a Proper person. What length do we go to determine this? Is willful ignorance enough? Is asking them enough? Is asking to see a LTCH enough, is a bill of sale enough, are stripped socks enough? I currently feel a little uncomfortable as a relative newbie with the private sales route. This is mainly because my knowledge base on the subject is inadequate. I learn more everyday and I want to see and hear all the different angles before I decide if I want to enter that realm and what my own terms would need to be. I like the idea of buyers and seller each setting their own terms and going forward only with the sales they each can live with... great discussion...

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I sold a shovel to a guy once.

In hindsight, I really wish I had asked to see an agricultural permit, maybe a landscaping or construction license of some sort to protect me in case he ever used that shovel in a crime.

We need to keep these deadly shovels out of the wrong hands.

*DING* "Ow!"

I wonder why nobody seems to worry about checking for DLs. If I asked to check for a DL to verify address, would that be wrong as well?

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I wonder why nobody seems to worry about checking for DLs. If I asked to check for a DL to verify address, would that be wrong as well?

Not wrong or right, simply unnecessary. A license to drive is no more required to lawfully purchase firearms than a license to carry.

If I had reason to suspect that a purchaser's state residency was being misrepresented, I might consider verifying by whatever reasonable means would satisfy my own curiosity as a condition of completing the sale, but not as a standard requirement.

To each their own, but I'm more worried about shovels and hammers at this point. ;)

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Not wrong or right, simply unnecessary. A license to drive is no more required to lawfully purchase firearms than a license to carry.

If I had reason to suspect that a purchaser's state residency was being misrepresented, I might consider verifying by whatever reasonable means would satisfy my own curiosity as a condition of completing the sale, but not as a standard requirement.
    To each their own, but I'm more worried about shovels and hammers at this point. ;)

And others may be more worried about being able to show that they made every effort to comply with the law. :dunno:

Asking for a LTCH isn't always about who the buyer is.

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    And others may be more worried about being able to show that they made every effort to comply with the law. :dunno:

Effort to comply with which law? Checking age 18 (if they look fairly young) is about the extent of legal due diligence. What else is there?

Asking for a LTCH isn't always about who the buyer is.

I'm still not sure what it's about, to be honest. Regarding firearms sales, though, asking to see an LTCH is never about compliance with the law.

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    :+1:

My conditions are simple:

1) We meet at a "gentlmen's club".
    2) The buyer must have a valid library card.
    3) The buyer must bring a tube of Pringles chips (must be cheese and onion flavor or the deal is off).
    4) The buyer must be at the club 2.5 hours before the rendez-vous time (Expect me to be 2 to 3 hours late).
    5) Both parties will wear flip-flops with matching socks.
    6) Both parties will speak with a thick Russian accent at all times during the transaction.
    7) I reserve the right to call you "Boris" during the entire transaction.
    8) No pets allowed.

:ingo:
    Well, number 8 is a dealbreaker!...But that's your right! (I'll still be at the boobie bar 2.5hrs early!)

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I was asked to show mine for a shotgun purchase at a LGS. They said they were close to a school and would have to zip tie the trigger if no LTCH.

Correct me if I am wrong, an LTCH wouldn't even apply to a shotgun. And an LGS would do a background check already. So why would they want to see your LTCH?

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Correct me if I am wrong, an LTCH wouldn't even apply to a shotgun. And an LGS would do a background check already. So why would they want to see your LTCH?

You're right, a LTCH doesn't apply to any kind of firearms sales.
    You dont need a LTCH to purchase a gun (either long gun or handgun) from either a FFL or a private seller.

Top Bottom