• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I guess that's my point, you wouldn't be in any trouble at all legally so it's not needed. People just can't knowingly sell to prohibited person is all.....

Some people won't even sell at all without going through an FFL... Like I said, it's their choice... It doesn't have to make sense to you.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    Because you aren't require to do so.....so why bother? I have bought and sold plenty of guns FTF and I have only seen it on the forum so I was wondering if it was a rule here but then noticed not all people do it, so just trying to understand the mindset.

ETA: I had multiple felonies pending on me and had my permit for about a year during the course of it.........could have bought anything I wanted FTF from people that "check" and it wouldn't have prevented any transaction, except from a FFL. I remmber LOL'ing when all charged were dropped and a few months after that Indiana State Police sent a letter asking for the permit back.....
    To put it simply, to cover our ass, that way if you do something stupid and get caught, and the police come to our door asking why we sold a gun to a felon we can tell them we had a solid reason to believe you were not a felon. Asking for an LTCH is our round-about way of performing an inpromtu instant background check

ArevaloSocom

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2014
    Hobart
    To put it simply, to cover our ass, that way if you do something stupid and get caught, and the police come to our door asking why we sold a gun to a felon we can tell them we had a solid reason to believe you were not a felon. Asking for an LTCH is our round-about way of performing an inpromtu instant background check

You are under no legal requirement to do so, that's my point.

It is interesting to get the POV of why people are doing it.

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    Seller is free to set the conditions of the sale - price, meeting location, LTCH.... Hell, seller could demand you wear a yellow shirt to the exchange and sing folk songs. Don't like the conditions of sale?? Don't buy!!!

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Seller is free to set the conditions of the sale - price, meeting location, LTCH.... Hell, seller could demand you wear a yellow shirt to the exchange and sing folk songs. Don't like the conditions of sale?? Don't buy!!!

^^^^This.

If we could call in to NICS to check background, many would do that. It insures you are not selling to someone not allowed to possess a gun, keeping one out of possible legal trouble.

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    Yeah, forgot about those guys. Excessive.

Ever sold a weapon to a felon? Even if you don't have an obligation to check, if the guy didn't have a LTCH and was a felon and you didn't bother to check, the blue boys are going to crawl up into your nether regions for a thorough inspection just to make sure while you sit back and enjoy the experience. And I would expect them to do so for the sake of being thorough and doing their job properly. Checking for the LTCH is a way of taking responsibility and being a good chap. As others have said, if it offends you, then by all means play in another sandbox. Personally, I think the cops and the Feds have given themselves plenty of reasons to look into a persons backside . er . background and I don't care to give them anymore. I will always request the LTCH in a personal sale.

Just my .02. :twocents:

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Ever sold a weapon to a felon? Even if you don't have an obligation to check, if the guy didn't have a LTCH and was a felon and you didn't bother to check, the blue boys are going to crawl up into your nether regions for a thorough inspection just to make sure while you sit back and enjoy the experience. And I would expect them to do so for the sake of being thorough and doing their job properly. Checking for the LTCH is a way of taking responsibility and being a good chap. As others have said, if it offends you, then by all means play in another sandbox. Personally, I think the cops and the Feds have given themselves plenty of reasons to look into a persons backside . er . background and I don't care to give them anymore. I will always request the LTCH in a personal sale.

Just my .02. :twocents:

Personally I would tell those investigating such to pound sand. I would say yes I sold it to him, and I had no idea or reason to believe he wasn't a proper person. If you wish to talk further call my lawyer and have a nice day.

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    Personally I would tell those investigating such to pound sand. I would say yes I sold it to him, and I had no idea or reason to believe he wasn't a proper person. If you wish to talk further call my lawyer and have a nice day.

Yes, you could and I likely would too. But that won't stop them from checking. If he has/had an LTCH, then no reason to look at you/me any further. A yellow Hawaiian shirt and some folk songs would just be icing on the cake though. And I would sell tickets too. ;)

ArevaloSocom

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2014
    Hobart

Yes. Agree 100% So long as you didn't knowingly sell it............nothing will happen to you. They have t prove you knew the buyer was a prohibited person. This is why I see no value in know, showing or going above and beyond that legal requirement.

Interesting discussion none the less.....

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I think asking for a copy of or taking an IQ test would make way more sense. I saw a young guy buy a full size HI-Point 45 and checked out just ahead of me. I left the gun shop and went to Big R to look for reloading supplies and a gun case. I saw the same guy that bought the HI-Point 45. He recognized me and was proud to announce his new purchase and said "I have it right here and it's loaded" I look down and see his hand in the pocket of his sweat pants. I ended the conversation and got the heck out of there.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    I think asking for a copy of or taking an IQ test would make way more sense. I saw a young guy buy a full size HI-Point 45 and checked out just ahead of me. I left the gun shop and went to Big R to look for reloading supplies and a gun case. I saw the same guy that bought the HI-Point 45. He recognized me and was proud to announce his new purchase and said "I have it right here and it's loaded" I look down and see his hand in the pocket of his sweat pants. I ended the conversation and got the heck out of there.

I like the IQ test idea. "Excuse me sir, but while we are waiting for the results of the NIS check please answer these 100 questions..."

you should have helped the poor kid pick out a holster. Or a tactical vest. Lol.

Top Bottom