• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Just to make sure I'm tracking, HB 1071 with the Constitutional Carry Summer Study Amendment is now an amendment in SB 191. SB 191 is now in the Public Policy Committee in the House (Chaired by Rep Ben Smaltz) and we are progressing despite Senator Bray letting the HB 1071 die in the Judiciary Committee?? Am I tracking on this Brother Bill?

Sounds about tracked right to me.
    Based on the draft I saw (final version not posted when I last looked) - it appear that the info from HB-1071 was amended into SB-191; perhaps even ALL of HB-1071 (????)

And the amended version of SB-191 did pass the committee ... (along w/ SB 43) - that brings the the total thru committee this year on Firearms to more than the last 3 sessions combined; and all generally good things to boot too.

We can still get Senator Bray to push HB-1071 - I think there is week left; maybe 2; depending on conf committee time needed. and there are only like 3 to 5 bills left on his "agenda" to give hearings ...

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I just watched the video of the committee meeting. Rep. Lucas made a good showing. Chairman Smaltz favored the bill but gave both sides the opportunity to speak their minds, Rep. Eberhart carried the day, however, and should be commended for his efforts. All of the GOP representatives remained calm, focused, and discussed issues. The Dems mostly did likewise, but not all. Rep. GiaQuinta made a point of saying that he would have voted to pass 191 out of committee without the addition of amendment #3. He also cited that a gun in the home was "43 times more likely to be used against someone the family knows (I think that's the debunked Kellerman study.) Rep Brown made almost no comment at all. Rep. Austin made impassioned commentary, and I have to give her credit for speaking her mind and standing for her values and her constituency; If they didn't like what she did, she would not still be in the House. Rep. Summers, however... Her speech was emotional to the point that I almost expected her to stand up and lay into Rep. Lucas physically, across the table...which I have no doubt would have been an enormous mistake on her part. He was rational, civil, and clear, but I got the impression he was also ready for whatever she might have done. She was called down by the chair for impugning her fellow legislators, and yet this did not stop her. The vote was clearly on party lines, and it passed 9-4. I also heard comment made that HB1071 was going to be heard next week, and I have confirmed it's on the schedule in Senate Judiciary as the second bill. Personally, I would LOVE to see someone move to amend full Constitutional carry into one or the other of those, bypassing the study committee entirely, but I'll take either route as long as it moves us closer.

I think notes of thanks need to go to Rep. Smaltz, Rep. Eberhart, Rep. Lucas, and Sen. Bray, for moving these issues forward so tirelessly. Mine are going out in the next 15 minutes.

Blessings,
    Bill

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Thanks Bill (Bor) for the meeting review.
    I'll try to check out the video; and see about the Senate Hearing (Wed 9 am)
    - but I'm in a rough sea of of work - in deep water - wearing cement flippers.
    Which is why this is "TEAM" effort. We all play a role and a part.

Do you know did ALL of HB-1071 get amended into SB-191 or just the Summer Study? I wasn't sure based on the draft/amendments I had linked.
    and didn't get to go look ... may not until way later.

Thanks!

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Chairman Smaltz asked Rep. Eberhart that exact question on the video, and yes, the entirety of HB 1071 as passed by the House was amended into SB 191, from what he said. I did not go look to compare the two, but that's what he answered. :)

Blessings,
    Bill

Thanks Bill (Bor) for the meeting review.
    I'll try to check out the video; and see about the Senate Hearing (Wed 9 am)
    - but I'm in a rough sea of of work - in deep water - wearing cement flippers.
    Which is why this is "TEAM" effort. We all play a role and a part.

Do you know did ALL of HB-1071 get amended into SB-191 or just the Summer Study? I wasn't sure based on the draft/amendments I had linked.
    and didn't get to go look ... may not until way later.

Thanks!

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Chairman Smaltz asked Rep. Eberhart that exact question on the video, and yes, the entirety of HB 1071 as passed by the House was amended into SB 191, from what he said. I did not go look to compare the two, but that's what he answered. :)

Blessings,
    Bill

Why is this so hard? The 43 people who live in North Dakota now have CC.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Why is this so hard? The 43 people who live in North Dakota now have CC.

Fewer sheriffs to tilt the scales? :D

Funny, but after the meeting the three of us attended, I'd say it's less the sheriffs and more that it's easier to convince 43 people of something than it is 3 million, esp. when the news media is going all-out to convince those 2.96 million with whom you won't have contact of the opposite side of the story.

Blessings,
    Bill

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Funny, but after the meeting the three of us attended, I'd say it's less the sheriffs and more that it's easier to convince 43 people of something than it is 3 million, esp. when the news media is going all-out to convince those 2.96 million with whom you won't have contact of the opposite side of the story.

Blessings,
    Bill
    The problem with that theory is that 99% of that 3 million have no clue what it is or care enough to find out, let alone write to their representatives. Still feels more like too many of them just don't agree with the idea and thus won't support it. There are taxes to raise and other nonsense to pass.

I can truly say the more I know about what they are doing, the more disheartened I am.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

Blessings,
    Bill

I don't disagree but that wasn't as pithy as what I said. :D

Seriously though, the deal with the Sheriff's association is representative of what we heard that day with the impression the reps had of their voters' positions, it strikes me. The same misinformation we hear from the fudd, butter, and nutter we heard from the sheriff's association letter. I do wonder in all of the states where this has passed (constitutional carry) were the same dynamics in place? Did the legislators vote over the will of their people? It seems to me that the people of Indiana and those of other midwestern/midsouthern states shouldn't be that different.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I don't disagree but that wasn't as pithy as what I said. :D

Seriously though, the deal with the Sheriff's association is representative of what we heard that day with the impression the reps had of their voters' positions, it strikes me. The same misinformation we hear from the fudd, butter, and nutter we heard from the sheriff's association letter. I do wonder in all of the states where this has passed (constitutional carry) were the same dynamics in place? Did the legislators vote over the will of their people? It seems to me that the people of Indiana and those of other midwestern/midsouthern states shouldn't be that different.

Follow the money... I'll do my best to convert a Fudd and a Butter when I come across them. The Nutters I have to avoid, too many Vanessa Summers's out there.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Follow the money... I'll do my best to convert a Fudd and a Butter when I come across them. The Nutters I have to avoid, too many Vanessa Summers's out there.

Vanessa needs to listen to her LTCH carrying friends who obviously (and admittedly) know more than she does about this issue. (Which IS sad). Fudds and Butters can be argued and the argument will prevail
    In my mind it is still the fact that there are .03% (yeah that's the right number) that ACTIVELY support this - against 0.1% that do not - but the 0.1 have the media behind them - and TV shows - and Myth -
    and ignorance is bliss - no effort needed to not understand

since a vast majority do not care - and many among the 16% to 20% with their LTCH's don't understand (or are simply misinformed and misled by the media etc) - we're stuck fighting.

Perhaps if LIKE in oh say - Wash DC (where you must take a class 4 hrs, spend 2hrs on the range, pay fees - and renew the CC/LTC) EVERY 2 YRS - more people here would be for this.

end rant - back to being swamped. - go support stuff - people - support it all - we got 7 bills ready to get passed - and the CC language is alive.

Senate Hears HB1071 WEDNESDAY.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Vanessa needs to listen to her LTCH carrying friends who obviously (and admittedly) know more than she does about this issue. (Which IS sad). Fudds and Butters can be argued and the argument will prevail
    In my mind it is still the fact that there are .03% (yeah that's the right number) that ACTIVELY support this - against 0.1% that do not - but the 0.1 have the media behind them - and TV shows - and Myth -
    and ignorance is bliss - no effort needed to not understand

since a vast majority do not care - and many among the 16% to 20% with their LTCH's don't understand (or are simply misinformed and misled by the media etc) - we're stuck fighting.

Perhaps if LIKE in oh say - Wash DC (where you must take a class 4 hrs, spend 2hrs on the range, pay fees - and renew the CC/LTC) EVERY 2 YRS - more people here would be for this.

end rant - back to being swamped. - go support stuff - people - support it all - we got 7 bills ready to get passed - and the CC language is alive.

Senate Hears HB1071 WEDNESDAY

:rockwoot:

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Excellent! I've been out of state so just catching up. I'll be watching that meeting. Thanks everyone for helping support this.

As for ND...the state had about 650k in it about a decade ago and 80% lived within the eastern 20 miles bordering MN. They were however the #1 producer of about 5 different crops in the country. Lots of land out there...farm land.

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    Perhaps I'm misreading these bills or am just too cynical, but why is everyone so excited about these bills? SB43, 191, and 1071 refer to carrying without a LTCH only if that person is under a protective order or is under a protective order and has applied for a LTCH. Even then, it's only for 60 days. SB 191 has a section about appointing a committee to look at repealing the necessity to first obtain a LTCH in order to carry a firearm, but that's it (Section 4 for those keeping track at home). While I do think it's fantastic that those who are under a protective order, and therefore ostensibly in more imminent need of protection than others, are able to carry without a license, I don't see how it's so great for the rest of us. Sure, it's a step in the right direction, but one never knows how long the committee is going to do its study, whether or not a committee will even be appointed to do said study, nor what the findings will be (See? Cynical! ;)). If I'm misreading the bills, then, please, let me know. I'll start rejoicing, too! But, if I am indeed reading them correctly, then I'll wait until the requirement for a LTCH is actually repealed.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom