• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    It's all technically the same 'god' - the three are all Abrahamic religions.

In the Muslims' piece-of-filth "holy" book, you will find many of the same figures as are present in the Christians' "holy" book, the Holy Bible as dictated by the Great 'I Am'... Mary, Joseph, Jesus of Nazareth, Noah, Abraham, etc., etc... having these figures in the Muslim text greatly encouraged converts from Christianity and Judaism in the beginning days of Islam - for people who literally believed that a man arose from an eternal, omnipotent invisible man who lives in the sky, it wasn't too much of a stretch to imagine that a messenger of this all-powerful being (who was also the being Himself) was called upon by 'God' to add onto the expositionary tale of vice and virtue told by His one and only Son.

'Allah' means, quite literally in Arabic, 'God'. So, yes, yes - both phrases do in fact refer to the same deity, regardless of whether and to what degree it outrages or upsets you... and I know I might find it very upsetting to worship - or to be considered to worship - the same deity as do roughly one billion violent adherents of a different - and thus inferior - religion. Any distinctions are based in desire, and not in fact based in Scripture, for He is in fact the sole and one true God, is He not?

Nice try, but you could not be farther off.

Distinctions are based on scripture. Choose to believe it or not, but feelings have no place in deciding something that is layed out in black and white.

I could make up a new religion, throw in some of the old characters, define God as someone new and different, then say he's the same guy, using your logic. That's exactly what Mohammed did.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Henk, I think Kdub's point was that God spoke to Moses through a bush that burned but was not consumed. I think the comparison would be saying that I must be a computer, since that's the only way most people here have ever "heard" my words.... Not comparing myself to God; rather the representation being different in form from the speaker.

:twocents:

And religious threads don't need to all go train-wreck... so long as the participants understand that no one is going to change his beliefs and no one has any proof that he or she is more correct than anyone else.

I've never claimed to be a Biblical scholar... because I am not, nor am I a student in any depth or detail of comparative religions... As such, my posts do not claim authority in these matters... Only in regard to my own beliefs.

You (generalized you) do not have to agree. I only ask that you respect my beliefs as I respect yours, even if I don't share them.

Blessings,
    Bill

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    No! :D

But this time it's for real! I'm actually impressed we've made it to this many posts without serious offenses. Must speak to a shared set of values.

henktermaat,

I'm actually done this time. I super cereal.

And

IBTL ;)

Actually- this is one of the most pleasant religion threads I've ever had the pleasure of posting in, thanks to you and I - good work on us both :)

And you must have come from some really bad threads to think this one will be locked... :D

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Henk, I think Kdub's point was that God spoke to Moses through a bush that burned but was not consumed. I think the comparison would be saying that I must be a computer, since that's the only way most people here have ever "heard" my words.... Not comparing myself to God; rather the representation being different in form from the speaker. ...

That's a stretch... I doubt the original two-word response with no accompanying argument or logic ("Burning Bush") can come close to the amount of thought you put into simply trying to figure out what he said. :):

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    This website might be helpful in the discussion. The website shows the similarities and differences between Islam and Christianity. I want to mention that this website is part of The Canadian Society of Muslims, which means that it is being portrayed from a Muslim point of view. I don't agree with everything portrayed on this site. That said, I think that it is helpful in understanding how Muslims describe their own religion.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    Originally Posted by Hotdoger
    You have not been to a church that preaches the King James bible then, as most Baptist churches do. So what? I'm not a Baptist. King James version matters not to me. (and I have been a guest in several Baptist churches and treated well)

The King James Bible is the basis of bibilical scholarship since its inception in the 1600s

Yes Jehovah appears in the old Testament.

Well, where I go the they concentrate on Christ and God.

Their is a reason for Jesus"s genealogy being the first words of the New Testament.
    It is direct conecttion to the Old Testament. They are intertwined. You cannot have one without the other.

I don't listen to Klan or Nazi stuff so I would not know about that.

No History channel?

No history channel channel show I have ever seen.. I am not saying it did not happen. it is just i don't know about it.

Muslims will freak out when you tell them Allah's chosen people are the Jews. Likely. And this is a serious question, where in the New Testament (King James or otherwise) does it say the Jewish peopel are God's chosen people? I thought the idea of the new Testament was to change the errors of the first. Ya know stuff like angry God...
    a New Covenent perhaps?????

DEUTERONOMY 14:2

2. For thou art an holy people unto the Lord thy God, and the Lord hath chosen thee to be a peculiar people unto himself, above all the nations that are upon the earth.

There are no errors in the first. Just people who errored.

That should tell you they worship a different god.
    Sorry nope. Ask your pastor/preacher or google Abrahamic religions...

I don't have to ask a preacher. As a follower of Christ I know who my God is and it is confirmed by reading his word .

My god is the God of the universise, even the muslims that are in it.,but the muslims worship a god that is not that god.

John 14:6....
    No one come to the father except by the son.

Please don't quit posting. Nothing like testing ones apologetics.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    This website might be helpful in the discussion. The website shows the similarities and differences between Islam and Christianity. I want to mention that this website is part of The Canadian Society of Muslims, which means that it is being portrayed from a Muslim point of view. I don't agree with everything portrayed on this site. That said, I think that it is helpful in understanding how Muslims describe their own religion.

Good link... I've read that one before. Also, here's another from the Christian perspective. It goes into probably too much detail for a casual read.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Like God himself, I love you guys!

If I were Muslim... I love you guys! But only if you kill the infidels.

If I were Buddist... I love you guys! Now lets have some tea and meditate together!

If I were Athiest... I HATE YOU ALL! Now go turn to dirt!

If I were Satanic... I HATE YOU ALL! Now go to Hell!

If I were a Politician... I love you all! Now give me your money....

:dunno:

Hey, I thought I was contributing here... Guess not. Carry on... :popcorn:

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    Good link... I've read that one before. Also, here's another from the Christian perspective. It goes into probably too much detail for a casual read.

Good link!
    This confirmed my thinking:

NOTE TO THE READER
    We are well aware that the name Allah is used by Arab speaking Christians for the God of the Bible. In fact, the root from which the name is derived, ilah, stems from the ancient Semitic languages, corresponding to the Mesopotamian IL, as well as the Hebrew-Aramaic EL, as in Ishma-el, Immanu-el, Isra-el. These terms were often used to refer to any deity worshiped as a high god, especially the chief deity amongst a pantheon of lesser gods. As such, the Holy Bible uses the term as just one of the many titles for Yahweh, the only true God.
    Yet the problem arises from the fact that Muslims insist that Allah is not a title, but the personal name of the God of Islam. This becomes problematic since according to the Holy Bible the name of the God of Abraham is Yahweh/Jehovah, not Allah:
    God spoke further to Moses and said to him, "I am Yahweh (YHVH) and I appeared to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, as God Almighty; BUT BY MY NAME, YAHWEH, I did not make myself known to them." Exodus 6:2-3​
    Therefore, Christians can use Allah as a title but not as the personal name for the God of the Bible.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Allah
    Yahweh

You think maybe somewhere the name was confused in translation? Maybe the teacher spelled it wrong? Maybe they had some word game and they said forget it, close enough? I mean, we are human right?

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Allah
    Yahweh

You think maybe somewhere the name was confused in translation? Maybe the teacher spelled it wrong? Maybe they had some word game and they said forget it, close enough? I mean, we are human right?

Or maybe Hebrew and Arabic are closely related members of the same language family that developed in close proximity over something like 5000 years or so and, therefore, have a great many cognates. ;)

gus1989

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    This thread has all the makings of a train wreck.

:popcorn:

TrainWreck1.gif

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Or maybe Hebrew and Arabic are closely related members of the same language family that developed in close proximity over something like 5000 years or so and, therefore, have a great many cognates. ;)

Seriously. I just thought maybe it could have been a translation error. I haven't been through my Quran completely so I have no idea. Buddism is confusing enough... I never did completely understand it either.

And, didn't Arabic's keep the Hebrew's as slaves, or was that the Persians?

redneckpastor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    "Allah" and "God" are different people, by definition. "Allah" may be the word for "God" in the muslim religion, but the definitions of the person "Allah" and God are specifically different. Anyone who says that "Allah" and God are the same doesn;'t know what they are talkling about.

+1

Top Bottom