IN police shatter car window, extract passenger after alleged seatbelt violation

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    HAMMOND, IN — After witnessing a motorist allegedly not wearing a seatbelt, police escalated a violent confrontation to the point of shattering a window to extract a passenger when he claimed not to have an ID.

“Oh my God, he’s pulling me over like I robbed a bank,” recalled Lisa Mahone, the driver and alleged seatbelt violator. “The whole situation was just crazy.”

Police drew their guns on the guy when he looked for his ID in his backpack. The passenger expressed reluctance to get out of the vehicle due to the officers’ aggressiveness and mentioned that “People are getting shot by the police.”

After being asked repeatedly for a supervisor, the officer responded: “Look at my shoulder, dumbass. I got bars.”

“You’re going to come out of the car one way or another,” the officer menaced. “You want your kids to see you come out through the window?”

That's when the window was shattered and the electric punishment began. The children were showered with shards of broken glass.

Jamal-Jones-2.png

Hammond family claims police overstepped their authority during - FOX 32 News Chicago

Last edited:

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    if there was no supposed seat belt violation. can the police arrest you for no id as a passenger?

If you aren't driving are you even required to have any form of ID on you? My wife often doesn't bring her purse when we go places because I drive and pay for things...

This nation becomes more police state every single day. And while there are small pockets of people here and there that recognize it, and are willing to stand up for themselves when they are inappropriately singled out, largely I suspect the situation will never improve.

Regardless, this isn't a crime. I don't care what the law says. I am a grown. I don't need some 'authority' figure telling me what to do... disgusting behavior by the officer. Hopefully he finds himself on the receiving end of being victimized somewhere down the road so he can fully grasp what it feels like.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Good thing it's Indiana, in SC this will get you shot.

7urtle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    hammond
    If you aren't driving are you even required to have any form of ID on you? My wife often doesn't bring her purse when we go places because I drive and pay for things...

This nation becomes more police state every single day. And while there are small pockets of people here and there that recognize it, and are willing to stand up for themselves when they are inappropriately singled out, largely I suspect the situation will never improve.

Regardless, this isn't a crime. I don't care what the law says. I am a grown. I don't need some 'authority' figure telling me what to do... disgusting behavior by the officer. Hopefully he finds himself on the receiving end of being victimized somewhere down the road so he can fully grasp what it feels like.
    i was having this convo a few weeks ago. only thing i found was a police forum saying majority would arrest who ever didnt identify themselves

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    "One of the officers involved in the confrontation has been involved in two prior excessive force lawsuits, with the City of Hammond making payouts to settle both cases."

Looks like he will soon be 3 for 3.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    I'm glad to see that these officers cared enough about the physical safety of this family to shatter their window, rain glass upon the children, and electrocute a man.

The compassion is undeniable.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Write your legislators and demand Indiana's seatbelt laws be repealed. No need for kids to be sprayed with shattered glass because somebody in the car isn't wearing a seatbelt.

She went to file a complaint first and then went to go see her dying mother?

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    In the context of a traffic stop for a vehicular violation, the Good Faith Belief statute provides for detention of a person who, in the “good faith” belief of the officer, “has committed an infraction or ordinance violation.” Ind. Code § 34-28-5-3. The Refusal to Identify Self statute then criminalizes the refusal to comply with an officer’s lawful request under the statute authorizing detention. In this instance, although Starr was “stopped” when the vehicle in which he was a passenger was “stopped,” there is no showing that Starr was stopped as a consequence of any conduct on his part. There was no reasonable suspicion that he had committed an infraction or ordinance violation, giving rise to an obligation to identify himself upon threat of criminal prosecution.

Accordingly, Starr did not fall within the purview of the Refusal to Identify Self statute. His conviction must be reversed.
    "The Hammond police officers were at all times acting in the interest of officer safety and in accordance with Indiana law... In general, police officers who make legal traffic stops are allowed to ask passengers inside of a stopped vehicle for identification and to request that they exit a stopped vehicle for the officer's safety without a requirement of reasonable suspicion."
    While strictly true, they are not allowed to coerce the production of identifying information, nor are they allowed to exercise excessive force in removing a person from the vehicle. Making the removal from the vehicle ostensibly predicated on the lawful refusal to ID self of a vehicular passenger would seem to me to immediately jump any such removal of the passenger which involved any level of force from the LEOs into the excessive realm. Refusal to consent where consent is clearly not coercible under the law (Starr) cannot be allowed to be used to escalate a LEO's use of force.

Without RAS of an infraction or ordinance violation or RABCOS, any LEO's demand for ID may be freely rebuffed without threat of further adverse action.

Last edited:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Without RAS of an infraction of ordinance violation or RABCOS, any LEO's demand for ID may be freely rebuffed without threat of further adverse action.

I know of video evidence the proves otherwise. Of course, you are free to file a report and pursue legal recourse later.

Top Bottom