• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    Ryan Jerome was enjoying his first trip to New York City on business when the former Marine Corps gunner walked up to a security officer at the Empire State Building and asked where he should check his gun.

Marine Corps gunner?

Very sorry about your luck, Marine. IF "gunner" is a misprint for "Gunny", he really should have known better.

heisenberg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2011
    This story is sickening. It truly disgusts me to think this man can go overseas and risk his life for this country, but when he comes home and wants to protect himself and his family, he faces prison time.

I dont care what the (unconstitutional) laws are in New York, this is just straight up WRONG!

Send him home to his family!!!!!!
    !

So if he was busted for heroin and methamphetamine possession you'd advocate him being released as well?

It doesn't matter if he single handedly killed Osama and Saddam at the same time. Like anyone who carries a weapon - the greater responsibility is on the holder of the greater power. He should've known the laws and followed them.

My best friend lives in California but I only get to see him once a year - why? Because I refuse to go to California. I know the laws and won't break them, as unjust or disgusting as they might be.

Guardsman89

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Kokomo
    There are many things that are Rights that aren't listed in the Constitution/BoR. Marriage is one of those Rights. That's true whether that marriage is gay or straight.

The most important arguments against legalizing homosexual marriages lie outside the legal realm.

Acceptance of gay marriage would spell the death of marriage as a analytic proposition. That is, marriage for centuries has meant a life-long, exclusive union between a man and a woman. One effect of the acceptance of gay marriage will be that sexual fidelity will be detached from the commitment of marriage. Lest you think I am making sweeping generalizations, Andrew Sullivan, a noted proponent of gay marriage, wrote, "Among gay male relationships, the openness of the contract makes it more likely to survive than many heterosexual bonds. There is more likely to be a greater understanding of the need for extramarital outlets between two men than between a man and a woman." In other words, monogamy is not a central component of gay marriage (at least for men). Researchers from the Netherlands, where gay marriage is legal, found that even among stable homosexual partnerships, men have an average of eight partners per year outside their "monogamous" relationship.

Marriage is the cornerstone of healthy families, healthy families are the bedrock of successful communities, successful communities are the foundation of a moral and free society.

Bottom Line: Acceptance of gay marriage will destroy the concept of marriage and therefore threatens the foundation of our society. :twocents:

LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    Marine faces 15 years behind bars for unknowingly violating gun law

Marine | New York Gun Law | Prison Sentence | The Daily Caller

Ryan Jerome was enjoying his first trip to New York City on business when the former Marine Corps gunner walked up to a security officer at the Empire State Building and asked where he should check his gun.

That was when Jerome’s nightmare began. The security officer called police and Jerome spent the next two days in jail.

The 28-year-old with no criminal history now faces a mandatory minimum sentence of three and a half years in prison. If convicted, his sentence could be as high as fifteen years.

Jerome has a valid concealed carry permit in Indiana and visited New York believing that it was legal to bring his firearm. He was traveling with $15,000 worth of jewelry that he planned to sell.

The online gun-law information Jerome read was inaccurate, however, and his late September arrest initiated what may become a protracted criminal saga. He hasn’t yet been indicted by a grand jury, but there may be little legal wiggle-room if he is.

“If he does get indicted, and they want to give him something less, then the legal minimum would be two years,” noted Mark Bederow, Jerome’s attorney. “They couldn’t even offer less if they wanted to.” (RELATED: The Daily Caller’s Guns and Gear section)

Jerome isn’t the first out-of-state visitor to volunteer that they had a gun, only to be put through the wringer. In December, Tennessee nurse Meredith Graves noticed a “no guns” sign at the World Trade Center site and asked where she could leave her weapon, only to face similar charges.

Read more: Marine | New York Gun Law | Prison Sentence | The Daily Caller

Wwwildthing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2010
    Arizona
    Indiana's LTCH/Permit is honored in the following states...

Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, New Hampshire, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Wisconsin, Wyoming

As you can see... New York isn't on the list.

In fact, as the law currently stands, New York does NOT honor CCW permits from ANY state, except it's own.

I may be reaching abit on the following, but it seems logical to me...

"The online gun-law information Jerome read was inaccurate"...

I think we've all read in a number of forums, where the National Reciprocity Act had passed the House. Unfortunately, not everyone is as knowledgeable in politics as they should be... it still has to pass the Senate and go before the President, before it becomes law.

Sadly, this guy is looking at a minimum 3-year jail term... because he didn't know, what he didn't know.

Last edited:

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    well...

who cares?
    :rolleyes:

Neither is straight marriage.

Any bets on the level of outrage & Constitutional challenges that would come from a law banning straight marriage?

You need to re-read my first post in this thread (if you even bothered to read it the first time).

There are many things that are Rights that aren't listed in the Constitution/BoR. Marriage is one of those Rights. That's true whether that marriage is gay or straight.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    who cares?

It looks like you do or you wouldn't bother to respond but if you really don't, your narrow-minded brethren do and there are many on the other side who do, as well.

You know it's going to pass eventually. You might as well start getting used to the idea now. It's simply the RIGHT thing to do no matter what you & those like you think.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

I do not agree with the law, but you MUST know the local, as well as state laws in the jurisdictions you will be in.

My cross-country travels RARELY take a straight line. I always travel where my handgun as well as myself are welcome.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    We don't need a new reciprocity law. We already have the old one and states should be held to it. Article IV, Section 1 of the Constitution reads "Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State.". The state of Indiana has determined that LTCH holders are proper people and have found no reason to rescind their right to carry a weapon. If New York allows any form of carry, then it is required to recognize the same right among those that other states have determined to be proper citizens.

He was not arrested for carrying a handgun, but for carrying a handgun without a New York license. It is simply and morally wrong that a person exercising a Constitutionally protected right, one that is perfectly normal in Indiana, becomes a felon simply by doing the same in New York. They cannot arrest you for not driving with a New York drivers license when you have an Indiana license, and they should not be able to arrest you for carrying without a New York license to carry.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    The most important arguments against legalizing homosexual marriages lie outside the legal realm.

Then if the best argument you have is not a LEGAL one then let's not make it a legal issue. If there is no legal argument against it then it should be legal. Isn't that the way our society is SUPPOSED to work.

Acceptance of gay marriage would spell the death of marriage as a analytic proposition. That is, marriage for centuries has meant a life-long, exclusive union between a man and a woman. One effect of the acceptance of gay marriage will be that sexual fidelity will be detached from the commitment of marriage. Lest you think I am making sweeping generalizations, Andrew Sullivan, a noted proponent of gay marriage, wrote, "Among gay male relationships, the openness of the contract makes it more likely to survive than many heterosexual bonds. There is more likely to be a greater understanding of the need for extramarital outlets between two men than between a man and a woman." In other words, monogamy is not a central component of gay marriage (at least for men). Researchers from the Netherlands, where gay marriage is legal, found that even among stable homosexual partnerships, men have an average of eight partners per year outside their "monogamous" relationship.

Marriage is the cornerstone of healthy families, healthy families are the bedrock of successful communities, successful communities are the foundation of a moral and free society.

Bottom Line: Acceptance of gay marriage will destroy the concept of marriage and therefore threatens the foundation of our society. :twocents:

Wow.

What a way to overdramatize your opinion. Fear-mongering, anyone?

First off, if our society is so fragile that allowing less than 5% (maybe even closer to 1% - I don't know the numbers) of our citizens the Right to marry whoever they want will completely destroy it then I would say that maybe it's not worth saving. :dunno:

Next, have you seen the numbers for rates of divorce & adultery in the straight marriage community? If our society hasn't already been completely destroyed by those figures then I seriously don't think we have as much to worry about as you say we do by allowing two people who love each other just as much as you & your wife do (I assume you're married - if not you get my drift) to get the same legal protections afforded others.

Lastly (yeah, right ;)), "definitions" change over time along with cultural "norms". At one time it was acceptable to believe that black people weren't human, it was illegal to inter-racially marry & women weren't considered smart enough to vote (etc., etc.). When those things were in the process of being changed, people who were opposed to those changes "on moral grounds" predicted the same "doom & gloom" scenario's that you are predicting right now. Guess what? It didn't happen then & it won't happen now.

Again, it's just the right thing to do. Those standing in the way should be as ashamed as those who tried to continue slavery, promote racial bigotry & prevent women suffrage.

Homophobia is the last bastion of narrow-minded bigotry that many think is still acceptable but the tide is turning. For good.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    I'm lost. So the Indiana marine was trying to gay-marry someone in New York while packing?

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    This only proves that no matter what YOU do, YOU or your loved ones are the ones who will bear the consequences of an immoral law ... not the politicians.

If you carry in a non-permissive environment and get caught by the authorities, you will be the one that goes to prison. The politician that passed the law will not even think twice about you.

If you follow the immoral law and choose not to carry, you or your loved ones will be the ones that get killed, injured, robbed or raped when you get caught by a predator. The politician that passed the law will be uninjured and not even think twice about you.

What is happening to this Marine is immoral. I can only hope that Jury Nullifiction will spare him any further misery but I would not hold my breath. The jury would be composed of the same idiots that voted the politicians into office.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    does a grand jury have to be unanimous to bring charges or just a majority? Hopefully there's a reasonable person on there.

BTW, hilarious comments on page 6.What it is about New York and Page 6?!

Top Bottom