• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dirtybird

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2015
    Morgan Co.
    While I really appreciate your willingness not to demand a punishment six times harsher than a non LEO would get because this kid was a probationary officer, I can't agree with you in this particular instance. It may not seem to be the case based on the track record but drinking and driving is absolutely not tolerated on this agency. This young man was told, and told, and told again and I guarantee you he had offers from no less than six fellow officers and/or supervisors to come and get him anytime, anywhere if needed. The peer pressure on the agency is to not do this. The policy of the agency is to not do this. I do not feel sorry for him nor do I wish him harm but I do not see a place for him alongside my brothers and sisters.

Agreed

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I don't disagree. But the issue is a Leo recruit, so shouldn't we hold him to a higher standard than a citizen also? He was drinking and driving... he could've hit a van full of kids...and he's supposed to be protecting our streets. And bush gave us back assault weapons, can't down a guy who gives me back my ar.

If you look up thread, the issue I was responding to was the OP. This situation was a 10 year veteran. In the case of a new recruit...yeah, he probably should choose a different career path.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    To those who suggest that leniency is appropriate, I submit this:

I'm not a cop and I don't understand what it is to be a cop. I do know, however, that judgement and making good decision is critically important for police officers. Good cops make good decisions on a consistent basis. Choosing to drink and then operate a motor vehicle is an example of poor judgement and poor decision making skills. If someone can't be trusted to make that simple choice that all of us face, how can he be expected to make similarly critical decisions when empowered as a police officer?

No do-overs for situations like this.

dirtybird

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2015
    Morgan Co.
    If you look up thread, the issue I was responding to was the OP. This situation was a 10 year veteran. In the case of a new recruit...yeah, he probably should choose a different career path.

I agree, but I think a veteran should be punished MORE than a new recruit if anything. He's been on the force and should know better, not to mention the hundreds over that period of time he's probably arrested for the same thing. If any breaks should be given (which they shouldn't IMO) it should be to a new guy.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

So, because of ten years it's allowable? I fail to see the logic. After ten years, you should be a lot smarter than a rookie. You should have a lot more experiences to draw upon to know that drunk driving is really, really, stupid.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Actually, it is difficult to discuss this subject with what apparently is a segment of the responders who don't recognize that alcohol is an insidious disease. Very few alcoholics are knock-down blackout drunks on day one. Yes, some are. But many go from being a party animal to the animal at the party over a number of years. I don't know this officer, but I would guess that he started out starched and full of **** and vinegar, celebrating with other LEO's after work. At some point and for a number of reasons, he drank more, but still could handle it pretty well and showed up to work maybe a little hung over, but generally sober. There came a point that the bottle started drinking out of him (as Ken Kesey said).

That's a chronic problem and it doesn't happen overnight. But it happens in all walks of life. And almost all of them never had a life ambition to be a drunk. But eventually they become, as AA says, powerless over a drink.

Show a little empathy. Or go ahead and cast the first stone.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Actually, it is difficult to discuss this subject with what apparently is a segment of the responders who don't recognize that alcohol is an insidious disease. Very few alcoholics are knock-down blackout drunks on day one. Yes, some are. But many go from being a party animal to the animal at the party over a number of years. I don't know this officer, but I would guess that he started out starched and full of **** and vinegar, celebrating with other LEO's after work. At some point and for a number of reasons, he drank more, but still could handle it pretty well and showed up to work maybe a little hung over, but generally sober. There came a point that the bottle started drinking out of him (as Ken Kesey said).

That's a chronic problem and it doesn't happen overnight. But it happens in all walks of life. And almost all of them never had a life ambition to be a drunk.

Show a little empathy. Or go ahead and cast the first stone.

I fully understand this process. I have seen it and was a heavy drinker myself for a number of ears as were many of us.

My issue with this is...........How many DUI's did this officer give out. Serious double standard.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I fully understand this process. I have seen it and was a heavy drinker myself for a number of ears as were many of us.

My issue with this is...........How many DUI's did this officer give out. Serious double standard.

I bet you could count them on one hand, if there were any at all. At least on my dept.

dirtybird

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2015
    Morgan Co.

:yesway: exactly what I think as well. You can't arrest somebody for something then turn around and do that very thing you arrested them for. We live in a republic where government and citizens abide by the same laws, this being a perfect example of why. I think we've had enough troubles with Leo's killing innocent lives while driving intoxicated in the last couple years...surely he knew better.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I have no sympathy for drunk officers. However, I pose a question that has many implications, "Are we hiring officers with alcohol problems or do they get that way while employed by us?" If we are hiring them then we need to address that. If we are creating them, that needs addressed as well. Alcohol is part of USA like apple pie. We love to drink, we love to get drunk. Employers lose Billions of dollars in lost productivity to alcohol every year. While we expect officers to rise above this, we must realize that the general public loves to drink and until that changes, we will get drinking cops. Poor choices are only amplified while intoxicated.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN

He was in second rotation of FTO, so probably not many DUI arrests. I'll look it up tonight when I go in.

poptab

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    If he didn't actually cause any real harm... Maybe we could put the pitch forks down.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    If he didn't actually cause any real harm... Maybe we could put the pitch forks down.

OK, I'll tell you what..... I'll come to YOUR house, with a badge on my chest, a gun in my holster, and drunk, and lets see, if YOU

want ME to make a decision, if I am going to shoot someone ?????

Top Bottom