• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    If the Special Prosecutor's report is accurate, I wouldn't be surprised to see this work out as it did for Jerry Piland.
    It could. Depends on what G.O.'s, if any, they violated. They will have their day in front of the Merit Board to defend themselves. People are getting really bent out of shape at work, I understand it. However, we've been down this road before and we will likely go down it again. The politics of our profession.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    It could. Depends on what G.O.'s, if any, they violated. They will have their day in front of the Merit Board to defend themselves. People are getting really bent out of shape at work, I understand it. However, we've been down this road before and we will likely go down it again. The politics of our profession.

I am not an officer or even employed by the dept. But, I interact with IMPD officers daily and I am getting mixed opinions on this issue. I am hearing some express concern that the Chief and Mayor might be caving to demands of some in the community simply for political reasons. While others think the situation could have been hamdled differently. One thing I'm not clear on, is the firearm review board made up of merit officers or is this a civilian board? And if civilain how familiar with the dept's training/ SOP's are they?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I am not an officer or even employed by the dept. But, I interact with IMPD officers daily and I am getting mixed opinions on this issue. I am hearing some express concern that the Chief and Mayor might be caving to demands of some in the community simply for political reasons. While others think the situation could have been hamdled differently. One thing I'm not clear on, is the firearm review board made up of merit officers or is this a civilian board? And if civilain how familiar with the dept's training/ SOP's are they?

It's sworn officers of various ranks, tilted toward the upper brass but does include patrolman.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Out of curiosity, if the officers are terminated ( and sued by family members ) will the police union assist with their trial defense ?

Generally yes, if the lawsuit results from actions taken in the line of duty and not grossly negligent. It is something that can be voted down by the members, though.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    What is the Merit board made up of? I recal a year or two ago hearing of a new review board that would be made up on civilians.

Per statute:

he board consists of seven (7) members as follows:
    • Four (4) members appointed by the director of the department of public safety
    • One (1) member appointed by the city‐county council
    • Two (2) members elected by a majority vote of the active members of the department.
    The term of office for an appointed or elected member of the board is four (4) years...

That's a little dated as I think the mayor appoints the positions formally picked by the director, but I think the makeup is the same.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    It's sworn officers of various ranks, tilted toward the upper brass but does include patrolman.

Well, I don't know all the facts/ details of the case. But at least the firearms review board is made up of officers who should be versed in the training/ SOP's. I just hate seeing officers who we asked to make decisions in real time, get raked over the coals after being cleared of any criminal wrong doing.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Well, I don't know all the facts/ details of the case. But at least the firearms review board is made up of officers who should be versed in the training/ SOP's. I just hate seeing officers who we asked to make decisions in real time, get raked over the coals after being cleared of any criminal wrong doing.

Criminal, civil, and administrative are different. You can be legal and violate admin. There is due process for each, but yea it sucks for those involved.

IndyGal65

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Speedway, IN
    I read that report earlier. Everything leading up to the shooting sounds like excellent police work. Looking at the totality of the circumstances, it seems reasonable for the Officers to fear he was retrieving a weapon. The fact he didn't end up having a weapon is irrelevant. Hopefully the Officers involved can move past this.

And once again, because someone refused to follow reasonable commands by the police, and acted in a manner not conducive to a good outcome, two police officers are losing their careers and are being sued. What a crock.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Criminal, civil, and administrative are different. You can be legal and violate admin. There is due process for each, but yea it sucks for those involved.

I get that criminal, civil and admin are all investigated and evaluated differently. The civil case will go forward and they will likely get nailed to the wall. I would like to think the admin would at least consider remedial training/ fit for duty (mentally & ethically) evaluation. I just have to think that this will follow them and they will have to explain it on every job application they ever submit from here on. Based on what I do know of this incident, I'm not sure they deserve to lose their lively hoods this way

IndyGal65

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Speedway, IN
    I get that criminal, civil and admin are all investigated and evaluated differently. The civil case will go forward and they will likely get nailed to the wall. I would like to think the admin would at least consider remedial training/ fit for duty (mentally & ethically) evaluation. I just have to think that this will follow them and they will have to explain it on every job application they ever submit from here on. Based on what I do know of this incident, I'm not sure they deserve to lose their lively hoods this way

Agreed. Me thinks a lot of political/community pressure was behind this.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I don't understand why, if they were found to have done nothing illegal, they can be sued in a civil court.

Seems that it should be like the good samaritan thing. Otherwise why would any officer take the chance on losing it all because of political posturing?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I don't understand why, if they were found to have done nothing illegal, they can be sued in a civil court.

The answer to this is a bit like a traffic accident. Someone can act in a way that creates liability (negligent/reckless) in civil court, without violating the law.

(Yes, there are many MANY legal differences between suing a police officer for actions while on duty, but this is to address the narrow idea of civil liability without criminal liability.)

Otherwise why would any officer take the chance on losing it all because of political posturing?
    Each officer I've ever known asks themselves that at some point. Sometimes daily. Sometimes hourly.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    The answer to this is a bit like a traffic accident. Someone can act in a way that creates liability (negligent/reckless) in civil court, without violating the law.

(Yes, there are many MANY legal differences between suing a police officer for actions while on duty, but this is to address the narrow idea of civil liability without criminal liability.)

Each officer I've ever known asks themselves that at some point. Sometimes daily. Sometimes hourly.

Don't do something that would risk your job, your house, your car... and if you end up in the newspaper, that's almost always a bad thing.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013

That hesitation is gonna get some cops killed.

Top Bottom