• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I'll have to look up the specifics, but it is my understanding the Chief can suspend any officer up to 6 months. He has suspended them pending termination, and it is my understanding that supersedes the 6 months. We have 2 other officers pending termination for at least a year. I don't believe the Merit Board has discussed it yet.

Those are without pay and without the merit board making the pay determination?

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    So who around the Indy metro area is going to hire these guys? They need employment while waiting on the merit board to meet and decide their fate? If you can, or know of someone who can, let me know.

Anyone willing to give some money so they can pay bills and feed their families?

My wife and I both would like to give some. I have been casually following this case, and can't help but feel a bit angry. We don't have a ton in the budget, but can give a small amount. Let me know when you start collecting.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I'm looking into that. We have rules about fundraising that I need to check on to make sure I don't violate them.
    If you are not allowed to fund raise then can you set someone not associated with LEO to do it? I would be happy to send a small token to assist, but would rather it not go through a site that is going to shave a part of it off.

If you want to PM me a physical addy and a name to put on a check I would be happy to drop a little coin.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    If you are not allowed to fund raise then can you set someone not associated with LEO to do it? I would be happy to send a small token to assist, but would rather it not go through a site that is going to shave a part of it off.

If you want to PM me a physical addy and a name to put on a check I would be happy to drop a little coin.

Its not that we can't, there are just rules on how we can. I don't really want to use Gofundme either. I am going to contact the PD credit union and see if I can set up an account there even though I'm not a member.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    For anyone willing/able to donate money to the officers so they can pay bills and provide for their families until they find temporary employment while waiting for the Merit Board decision, they now have accounts set up for them at the Professional Police Officer's Credit Union. You can donate money in person or mail in a check. The address is 1502 E Washington St Indianapolis, IN 46201. The officers names are Michal Dinnsen and Carlton Howard. This is much better than a Gofundme campaign because they get every penny of any money donated. Thanks in advance.

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    Do I just make out a check in each of their names and send it to that address? Or make the check out to the Professional Police Officer's Credit Union with their names in the "memo" line? I'm guessing the former, but want to be sure. Thanks!

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Do I just make out a check in each of their names and send it to that address? Or make the check out to the Professional Police Officer's Credit Union with their names in the "memo" line? I'm guessing the former, but want to be sure. Thanks!

My understanding is you make it out to them individually but address the envelope to the bank. I really appreciate you doing it.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    He was not shot for fleeing. I HATE it when people say that line, "Fleeing doesn't deserve death." Like the officers shot him only because he was fleeing. That's absurd. It hardly matters if they were in the right, they are about to get thrown into the grinder that is a police action shooting of an "unarmed" black man. These rookies have MAYBE 3 years on and I hope they are prepared for the **** show that is coming. Extra security at their houses (if they don't relocate temporarily), staying home because they don't want to be seen in public, LONG LONG civil trial, etc...and that is if they did everything correct. If they didn't, well, it's an ugly trial. You can do everything 100% correct and still get the short end of the stick. I'm too old to deal with this crap anymore, 20 years behind the badge, all of it on the street. Time for me to find a nice inside job, away from this BS.

Could not agree more!!

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Suspending and requesting a firing is going to be common from now on. That is just the politics of the times. These guys are lucky to work with a department that actually has protections in place for the officers. Even then, with things so political as they are now, doing the job of LE is just very risky. There is reason pay keeps increasing in most major metro areas. It was already hard enough to find good people, but with the national politics of the job, the risk of going into this line of work without a fallback plan in place, it just makes it harder to find quality people for this line of work. I know of an officer who went on for his grad degree. Said there was a good discussion on if police work should start to mimic that of the fire department. Basically no proactive policing, just reactive. The cops might not sit around in the PD waiting for runs like firefighters, but unless they actually see a crime in progress, there would be no voluntary interacting of "suspicious" persons anymore. Basically unless you really just want to be friendly and interactive with the community, leave people alone unless you actually witness them actively committing a criminal act.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have voiced my frustration over this whole situation up thread. But, I have been thinking. Given the political environment/ public scrutiny/ individual officer liability, I wonder if it would be an option for an insurance co to offer LE insurance. I'm thinking along the lines of an equivalent to something like malpractice insurance. This case is a good example of why it might be needed. 2 guys made decisions in real time, under pressure and a man lost his life. Spec. Prosecutor 's findings determined they didn't act criminally. However they got thrown under the bus, dealing with civil suit, their livelihood and that of their families are crippled and the merit board taking their sweet ass time to meet and make a decision. Just seems that something like that could be of benefit as to not destroy the lives of officers and their families for actions taken on the job that were deemed not criminal.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I have voiced my frustration over this whole situation up thread. But, I have been thinking. Given the political environment/ public scrutiny/ individual officer liability, I wonder if it would be an option for an insurance co to offer LE insurance. I'm thinking along the lines of an equivalent to something like malpractice insurance. This case is a good example of why it might be needed. 2 guys made decisions in real time, under pressure and a man lost his life. Spec. Prosecutor 's findings determined they didn't act criminally. However they got thrown under the bus, dealing with civil suit, their livelihood and that of their families are crippled and the merit board taking their sweet ass time to meet and make a decision. Just seems that something like that could be of benefit as to not destroy the lives of officers and their families for actions taken on the job that were deemed not criminal.

One has to wonder how expensive that insurance would be though. Pretty sure malpractice insurance is expensive, and that's for doctors that make a lot more money than your average police officer. Sure if you need it, it may be worth it, but if you don't use it, it would be quite a financial hardship on the average cop I'm guessing.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    The merit board not meeting for a few months may be a good thing, let the furor over this BS settle. It doesn't help them with their basic needs, but may have more of a chance in keeping their jobs(as if they'd still want them?). Even the chiefs recommendation that they be terminated may change, or it may be a ploy, I wanted to fire them, the Merit Commission said, No! (political cowardice, or CYA) This is all wishful thinking, I've a feeling these guys are hosed, but kinda thought I'd put in a "bright side"!

Top Bottom