• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    One has to wonder how expensive that insurance would be though. Pretty sure malpractice insurance is expensive, and that's for doctors that make a lot more money than your average police officer. Sure if you need it, it may be worth it, but if you don't use it, it would be quite a financial hardship on the average cop I'm guessing.

I understand it would be expensive, but perhaps it could be something created through the FOP or maybe it could for lack of better description be a policy that would look more like Afflack in the sense of creating a safety net to help an officer and their family get through the processes. I just feel like there should be something more that can help an officer embattled with dealing with the consequence of doing their job. Just sucks

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Just read on Fox 59 the Merit Board is deciding the fate of the two officers. Just my view but this is politics driven by Monday morning quarterbacks. Hopefully the board will rule in favor of these officers.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I'm sure you know that it isn't uncommon that LEOs are often the ones subject to this. (mainly to save someone else's skin).
    So like the sacrifical scape goat? Kinda like Scooter Libby involuntarily taking one to save the VP’s ass.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    So like the sacrifical scape goat? Kinda like Scooter Libby involuntarily taking one to save the VP’s ass.

No... the officer mostly tend to do things right, but hidden in general orders there's always something to burn them with. If the officer is involved in a situation that's newsworthy, and bad for the city, they'll offer him up without a second thought.

fnpfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Larwill
    Oh at the very least it merits a beating !
    Agreed, when people used to get their a$$es kicked for stupidity, stupidity itself was not as common..respect for others was also higher.
    Now society has that you can't touch me attitude,and respect between people has gone way down, people have no common courtesy between each other.. it's the me first generation...some of those people could really use the before mentioned a$$ kicking

Last edited:

blackenedman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Any update as to officer status? Still unemployed, pending merit board? My apologies if this had been covered already.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Any update as to officer status? Still unemployed, pending merit board? My apologies if this had been covered already.
    Cleared by the merit board, didn’t lose their jobs. Don’t know if they are back to work, but even if they are, it’s on the ****tiest detail the chief can possibly find I’m sure! Their careers with IMPD are stagnant for the foreseeable future.

blackenedman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Cleared by the merit board, didn’t lose their jobs. Don’t know if they are back to work, but even if they are, it’s on the ****tiest detail the chief can possibly find I’m sure! Their careers with IMPD are stagnant for the foreseeable future.

Thanks for the update, agree with your sentiment about what they're probably dealing with.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy

If I'm not mistaken, an IMPD officer's retirement is based on 3rd year patrolman salary when he/she retires, regardless of what rank is held at the time of retirement. So "stagnant" is a matter of perspective. Lots of guys and gals more than happy to be patrol officers for 30 years.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    If I'm not mistaken, an IMPD officer's retirement is based on 3rd year patrolman salary when he/she retires, regardless of what rank is held at the time of retirement. So "stagnant" is a matter of perspective. Lots of guys and gals more than happy to be patrol officers for 30 years.

That's correct on the retirement. The promotion process for merit ranks is currently administered by an outside contractor who, in theory, is unbiased and doesn't know any of the candidates. You're assigned a number and are that number through the process, the test administrators shouldn't even know your name. Appointed ranks are, of course, appointed by the administration. That's not something most officers will be exposed to, though, as you've got to be at least a merit LT or CPT to be eligible for appointed ranks.

Top Bottom