threaddirection9xa.gif

Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    Well Said

I am also an avid bow hunter. My first two years I hunted with a gun. Not a trophy hunter. After a few point and shoot deer I needed something more of a challenge. It is not the bowhunters fault the state sets up the seasons the way they do. But it is nice to have fewer hunters in the woods and or tresspassing. As far as the state is concerned...they bring in far more revenue from gun hunters than bow hunters. Go figure out what season the state prefers.

I have a set number of days I can take off also just like any gun hunter. I choose to take them off during the first week of November when I feel the deer move the most and the woods are still at peace.

Almost anyone can shoot a deer at 150 yards, but it takes skill and hard cold nerves to let one get inside 30 yards and still have what it takes to draw a bow, settle in and make a smooth release.....it is sooooo addictive once you do it

Has nothing to do with trophies. 95% of my die hard "bowhunting" friends are meat hunters.

mrdryoung

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    If someone is upset with the time of bow season maybe they should take the"If you can't beat them join them" approach and take up the sport.

I think anyone that is capable of getting close enough to a deer to take them with a bow will be a far better hunter if/when they pick up the gun again.

I still take the muzzleloader out from time to time if I need to get an"easy" deer in an area that I haven't been able to properly scout, but I far prefer bow season... It’s quiet, peaceful, and there are no slug-slingers that haven't shot their gun for a year in the woods with you.

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    If someone is upset with the time of bow season maybe they should take the"If you can't beat them join them" approach and take up the sport.

I think anyone that is capable of getting close enough to a deer to take them with a bow will be a far better hunter if/when they pick up the gun again.

I still take the muzzleloader out from time to time if I need to get an"easy" deer in an area that I haven't been able to properly scout, but I far prefer bow season... It’s quiet, peaceful, and there are no slug-slingers that haven't shot their gun for a year in the woods with you.

Ah the old classic if you can get close enough to kill them with a bow your a better hunter:laugh: I shoot 98% of the deer I shoot in gun season within bow range. The two biggest deer Ive killed one was at 25 yards the other was at 10 yards and most under 50. So that doesnt really hold up as a theory to many variables.

mrdryoung

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Ah the old classic if you can get close enough to kill them with a bow your a better hunter:laugh: I shoot 98% of the deer I shoot in gun season within bow range. The two biggest deer Ive killed one was at 25 yards the other was at 10 yards and most under 50. So that doesnt really hold up as a theory to many variables.

If you are saying that being close to deer doesn't make you a better hunter then why even mention that you kill the majority of your deer at close range? Are you saying that you are a bad deer hunter and just so happen to kill deer at close range? If so… Congratulations. The post was saying that most people (maybe you included) would benefit from having the ability to kill deer in close range such as bow hunters do. If someone has to take long distance shots at deer (in Indiana) every time, they would most likely be a more efficient hunter if they had the ability to get close enough to deer to take a close (bow range) shot.

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    If you are saying that being close to deer doesn't make you a better hunter then why even mention that you kill the majority of your deer at close range? Are you saying that you are a bad deer hunter and just so happen to kill deer at close range? If so… Congratulations. The post was saying that most people (maybe you included) would benefit from having the ability to kill deer in close range such as bow hunters do. If someone has to take long distance shots at deer (in Indiana) every time, they would most likely be a more efficient hunter if they had the ability to get close enough to deer to take a close (bow range) shot.

Gettin "close" to deer could be from ones skill or maybe a guy around the ridge bumped it to you and thus it was just a matter of right place right time. So it wouldnt mean you were any better in the form of the latter. Now one thing that could be said for certain if you shot all your deer at long range is that you are a good shot.

As to whether or not I feel like im a better hunter because I shoot alot of deer inside 50 yards.....Well who knows really if it was skill or luck but I think its probably a bit of both.

trophy hunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    southern indiana
    Gettin "close" to deer could be from ones skill or maybe a guy around the ridge bumped it to you and thus it was just a matter of right place right time. So it wouldnt mean you were any better in the form of the latter. Now one thing that could be said for certain if you shot all your deer at long range is that you are a good shot.

As to whether or not I feel like im a better hunter because I shoot alot of deer inside 50 yards.....Well who knows really if it was skill or luck but I think its probably a bit of both.

so if a guy gets `lucky` evey year there still couldn`t be skill involved?

i can`t belive this thread is still going.. :n00b:

Last edited:

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    so if a guy gets `lucky` evey year there still couldn`t be skill involved?

i can`t belive this thread is still going.. :n00b:

Its possible to kill deer every year by shear luck like I said its probably a bit of both skill and luck but dont believe someone when they are telling you their "skill" is why they kill more deer.

The main issue here is guys thinking that you are a better hunter just because you bow hunt. That somehow when you bow hunt you are using a majestical instrument of death and all that horse crap. Funny thing is they use trail cams and high tech compound bows if they were so worried about "sport" they would use a long bow and hand knapped broadheads.

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Fight back....start bowhunting! :ar15:

Been bow hunting for years I just dont get all "jacked" up by it. Ive been sucessful and have taken many with my bow. I just use a bow because thats the law during the early archery season. Then when gun season starts I use a gun. Your not gonna find me sitting in a tree on opening day of gun season with anything other than a firearm. I love hunting period so I bow hunt just because I have too. One of my favorite days of hunting is the last day of early archery because then I know that its time for the boomsticks.

I feel guns are more ethical you dont have to worry about a twig deflecting your arrow and causing a less than disireable hit. You also wont have to worry about a NICE 10pt buck getting away from you because you couldnt get a shot at him because of some scrub brush in the way all the while watching him eat acorns at 20 yards for 10 minutes(If that story sounds personal it is:D) would it have been nice to kill the deer with a bow sure but he would have been in the back of the truck if it were gun season.

tyrajam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Fishers
    Man, some people just like to WHINE AND COMPLAIN! This thread was a dead end from the first post about selfish bowhunters getting the firearms season moved back. Well, that was quickly shown to be untrue, but lets all still p1ss and moan about it. Geez.

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Michael Waddell's Bone Collector

This hunting season, don't let some one arm push up, mancho man, loud mouth know it all, self proclaimed supermanish dillusion Grizzly Adams, tell you what to shoot or how to hunt! Hunting is a right, that gives you the right to do it how you want by the laws in those areas you hunt. Happy bloodtrails to ALL.

Well spoken if I must say so myself. Id use dynamite if it were legal lol!

Last edited:

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    Been bow hunting for years I just dont get all "jacked" up by it. Ive been sucessful and have taken many with my bow. I just use a bow because thats the law during the early archery season. Then when gun season starts I use a gun. Your not gonna find me sitting in a tree on opening day of gun season with anything other than a firearm. I love hunting period so I bow hunt just because I have too. One of my favorite days of hunting is the last day of early archery because then I know that its time for the boomsticks.

I feel guns are more ethical you dont have to worry about a twig deflecting your arrow and causing a less than disireable hit. You also wont have to worry about a NICE 10pt buck getting away from you because you couldnt get a shot at him because of some scrub brush in the way all the while watching him eat acorns at 20 yards for 10 minutes(If that story sounds personal it is:D) would it have been nice to kill the deer with a bow sure but he would have been in the back of the truck if it were gun season.

Then use a traditional bow.

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Then use a traditional bow.

I would like to at some point in the future. But I dont see how using a traditional bow is gonna keep you from not bein able to kill a deer obscured by brush. Maybe you could explain.

Last edited:

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Man, some people just like to WHINE AND COMPLAIN! This thread was a dead end from the first post about selfish bowhunters getting the firearms season moved back. Well, that was quickly shown to be untrue, but lets all still p1ss and moan about it. Geez.

The OP may have been wrong about bowhunters gettin the season pushed back. However the Indiana Bowhunters Association is always pushing for longer bow seasons and less gun season. They are against crossbows and see them as something someone with a dissability should use rather than a useful hunting device. Some of their tactics are borderline anti-hunting. Showing up in large numbers to DNR rule change proposal meetings and pushing for more bowhunting and the list goes on. We shouldnt push aside a group of hunters to further agendas because in the end we just lose another potential hunter and thats not good.:twocents:

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    The OP may have been wrong about bowhunters gettin the season pushed back. However the Indiana Bowhunters Association is always pushing for longer bow seasons and less gun season. They are against crossbows and see them as something someone with a dissability should use rather than a useful hunting device. Some of their tactics are borderline anti-hunting. Showing up in large numbers to DNR rule change proposal meetings and pushing for more bowhunting and the list goes on. We shouldnt push aside a group of hunters to further agendas because in the end we just lose another potential hunter and thats not good.:twocents:

Matt,

I'm not sure how many "DNR rule change proposal meetings" you've attended, but I've been to a bunch. Especially pushing useage of the crossbow for everyone to use during the early archery season.

The IBA 'might' get a half dozen members at one of these meetings. The IDHA 'might' have 3 or 4, but it is usually just the president of the club. Not saying that they don't do some lobbying "behind the scenes", but their attendence at the meetings are in no way a majority of people that show up.

Since the DNR and NRC have went to an online input in addition to the meetings (meetings are required by law and that is the ONLY reason that they do them) the "Average Joe Deer Hunter" can now speak for himself. No more of the clubs claiming "we speak for the bowhunters" or "we speak for the deer hunters". The DNR and NRC knows better now.

The Indiana Sportsman's Roundtable has suggested to the DNR to have a "vertical bow only season" from September 15th to September 30th. The DNR is considering that. I think it is silly as it is not about heritage, tradition or deer management. It is strictly about "we don't want to hunt with them (crossbowers).

They are also wanting a "traditional muzzleloader season" as if a hunter cant use one for close to 40 days now during the general firearm season, the muzzleloader season and the antlerless season around Christmas time.

We will see where it all goes....

Top Bottom