• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I hate infighting, I'm trying to be a bowhunter, but...

The deer seasons have been published and they've pushed out firearms season a week.

So they've succeeded in claiming the rut all to themselves. :xmad:

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    You are wrong. It is a natural cycling of the season.

The firearm season always comes in the Saturday after the second Tuesday in November. This is the latest it will come in with the 12th being the earliest ... Like last year...

NDhunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    North Central IN
    You are wrong. It is a natural cycling of the season.

The firearm season always comes in the Saturday after the second Tuesday in November. This is the latest it will come in with the 12th being the earliest ... Like last year...

Beat me to it.

You still sick of bowhunters?

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    OK, well every year since I've been hunting deer (I think it's 6 years now) firearms season has ended on Thanksgiving weekend, and from what I heard before that was the tradition.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    OK we know about the date now but I have to agree with you, I'm a bowhunter but there are "bowhunters" and Im not in that clique

They want to manage the whole state for trophy's in bow season but not all hunting is trophy hunting and not all hunting is meat hunting.

The "bowhunting" clique needs to realize that not everyone has 40 days of vacation to take in october/november and that some of us count on a couple does to feed the kids

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    I have a set number of days I can take off also just like any gun hunter. I choose to take them off during the first week of November when I feel the deer move the most and the woods are still at peace.

Almost anyone can shoot a deer at 150 yards, but it takes skill and hard cold nerves to let one get inside 30 yards and still have what it takes to draw a bow, settle in and make a smooth release.....it is sooooo addictive once you do it

Has nothing to do with trophies. 95% of my die hard "bowhunting" friends are meat hunters.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    This is like the OC, CC crap that creeps up so often.

Nov 17-Dec 2 will have tons of rut activity, just like every firearms season. I'm a bouncer exclusively but I could not care less how someone chooses to hunt. Of you prefer to use your firearm, awesome. I'm just glad there are hunters out there helping the sport.

As for trophies, I disagree with your assessment from my own experiences. YMMV but even the smallest doe or a button buck is considered a trophy in many circles when it's taken by a bow. It certainly is in my circle. I hunt for meat, it matters not to me whether it's a trophy or not, a buck or doe.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Almost anyone can shoot a deer at 150 yards, but it takes skill and hard cold nerves to let one get inside 30 yards and still have what it takes to draw a bow, settle in and make a smooth release.....

Psssssh...try taking one at arm distance with a Swiss Army Knife- THEN you're awesome.

Not that I have:D

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG

The deer seasons have been published and they've pushed out firearms season a week.

:baby:. It's a conspiracy against gun hunters. I decided to increase my hunting so guess what I did? Bought a bow. I love bowhunting. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em:dunno:

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012

Ive got a thread similar to this topic Im glad to see others share my sentiment on the issue:yesway:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Copy:

Psssssh...try taking one at arm distance with a Swiss Army Knife- THEN you're awesome.

More awesome, cinder blocks at the end of bungee cords.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    There really are some folks out there are pushing trophy bucks at ALL costs- even shortening and moving the gun season back. Does that sound familiar? The DNR and their selected "stakeholders" came up with that in their Deer Proposal #1 last year. Only a huge uprising against that proposal squelched it. My best guess is that will be back someday.

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    I saw the best rutting activity last year during archery season. Actually I always do. Get yourself a bow ,Your missing out on the best part of the season. There will be a flood of new hunters this year I suspect,with XBow passing into law this season.
    Also,I dont think Bow hunters have enough pull to get anything changed.Its fluctuated a week late for years. We had this problem scheduling vacations,when I was working years ago.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    So it's end date, not start date, that has you perturbed?

No, it's just that I thought that the end date was ALWAYS Thanksgiving weekend, which then defines the atart date... since that's what it's been the past 6 or 7 years that I've been hunting. And I know that the start and end of the rut has somewhat to do with the weather - it's not just a date on the calendar.

Sorry to cause a stir, I didn't know that the season shif was normal.

As for question about bowhunting, yes I have a bow and I'm "trying" to be a bowhunter, but no success yet. Same with ML season - missed one a couple seasons ago, don't ask me how, it was only 60 yards (obviously it was the gun's fault :)). Like many, I don't have tons of time to be out hunting, and I'm a meat hunter, so I try to maximize my time in the different season, but the rut helps - I need all the help I can get. Also a hunting lease, which might give me a better chance to put meat on the table puts the "price" of that meat out of reach.

If I could find a place close by with a low lease price, even if I were resticted on what I could hunt, I'd probably take it. Up to now I've been hunting public land and I have a very generous friend who has allowed me to hunt from time to time on his family's farm. Last year was public land only, and I didn't even see a deer.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    The core of the bowhunting only crowd is very vocal and organized the y hit the dnr with petitions and show up to dnr meetings they bring petitions and do their best to hog the floor they ar rabid about it and try to pass themselves as the majority

They are very similar to antihunters in their methods

I've heard then blow up there numbers with weighted polls beware the indiana bow hunters association

Top Bottom