I'm rethinking my home shotgun and could use some advice.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    You actually put a bayonet on your shotgun and I'm the one here getting told I suck?!?!? The world is a cruel place, lol.

Welcome to INGO. For the record, technically, I'm not the one who put it there. I traded it for it with another INGO member. But I think it is THE BOMB. And, honestly, I love it for possible home clearing operations. Seriously. The usual arguments against long guns for clearing houses are corners and close quarters retention work. It doesn't change anything on corners, obviously, but changes things for the "what if you come around a corner and end up in a bad-breath retention situation?" issue.

It's also handy for when you find out it was just the cat making noise.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    Someone rep Zoub for me, please -- this anti-shotgun, anti-rural, anti-whatever system is denying my right to add rep when it's sorely needed.

Got him for ya...

I agree with you, if I'm asking a bunch of my peers/friends/shooting buddies a question like this, I'm prepared for the "you suck at..." response... I know I suck, that's why we practice!!!!

I do cold point shooting drills at home at least 45 minutes a week.... practice quick reloads with the 9mm, etc.... I don't have a shotgun at all right now... looking at getting one, but don't know if I want to spend the cash on one right now; There's a Draco out there begging me to SBR it!

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    If I were you I wouldn't get rid of it and if the sights (or lack of) is an issue you could look into a Ghost Ring sight system. They are a little expensive(around $175 for the really good ones) but quite a bit cheaper than buying a new shotgun. They offer quick sighting with the advantage of being able to focus on a long range shot if need be. You can also look into a fiber optic front sight, they pick up really well in low light and give you a more defined bead. I presonally am not a fan of rifle sights on a HD shotty, it takes too much time to line up those fine sights for short distances and maybe in a poorly light environment especially if you don't practice alot. I personally would also stay away from red dots as well. There are a lot of gadgets and doo dads on the market that you will not need, save the $ for ammo. The #1 thing you need to do do is practice. Get yourself one of the value packs of regular light load hunting rounds like
    2 3/4" 7/8 oz. #7. Set up at different ranges and shoot away. Pick up some light recoil slugs, start at like 15 yrds and increase your range from there. If you still have probs with accuracy after some trigger time then start looking into sight options. You have one of THE best shotguns and it will serve you well.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Don't worry about sights on a shotgun. You don't "aim" a shogun, you point it! And prsonally my favorite load for home defense with a shotgun would be bird shot. Beause at close range it's as effective as slugs but overpenatration is not an issue. the small pellets lose energy quickly when shot into drywall. Saw Best Defense do tesing with various home defense weapons. Bird shot at less that 10 feet is VERY effective!

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I disagree, I think you are winning big time. If Charlie Sheen had us for friends he would be walking around saying "Winning" all the time.

Oh wait he already does that. You know why? Because we are his shotgun buddies!

I think Charlie has a Different Idea of Shotgun Buddies than you do... ;)

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I think Charlie has a Different Idea of Shotgun Buddies than you do... ;)
    Who do you think fathered those twins with his hot ex wife.

You don't really think that drug addict had it in him to get'er done. I was riding shotgun that night while he was out back pissing tiger blood with hookers.

WINNING!

Where is the OP? Did he do the drill in the mirror yet?

There is a new thread we can spin off from this one.

How to spot shotgun owners who don't have a GF or a wife. They have those meat tenderizer door breacher barrels or bayonets on their shotguns. Their women leave them because after running around the house in their underwear doing drills with those 3 foot long spears they tear up all the drapes, bed covers, furniture and their dead Grandma's dusty ass old quilt.

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    Let me first start off by saying that I'm not really a shotgun guy. I have one because somewhere in the book of man laws there's a requirement that everyone own some kind of a shotgun. Mine is the plane jane 870 with the 7 shot extension. I really don't shoot it much at all and the only reason I have it is for keeping the family safe.

One of the reasons that I don't shoot the gun very much is that all it has is a front bead sight and I can't seem to really hit anything that I'm shooting at with it. Don't get me wrong, with the 00 I'm a deadly shot, but if I want to make a well aimed shot with a slug then I'm just out of luck for the most part.

So lately I've been thinking about a couple of different options. It'd be nice to get a shotgun with some form of regular iron sights and not just a little BB Remington super glued to the end of the barrel. I've been thinking about a remington replacement barrel with iron sights and the adjustable chokes. I've also considered selling the gun outright and buying one of the 870's that have the ghost ring sights or even one of the mossberg 590's that have iron sights. In an ideal world I'd trade my 870 against a mossberg 930 SPX, but after reading a lot of reviews on those 930 SPX's it doesn't sound like they're the quality I want in my hands when I need to grab a shotgun in the middle of the night. I've also considered one of those 930 combo's with the 18" barrel and 28" barrel; something for home and something to start shooting clays with, but then I'm back to just having a BB front sight again. Heck, I've even kicked around the idea of one of those mossberg JIC or cruiser models for keeping around the house.

What shotgun would you recommend for a guy like me?

Does your 870 have a vent rib barrel?
    If it does you can install one of these on it.
    TruGlo Tru-Point Turkey Shotgun Sight FREE S&H TG946C, TG946A, TG946B, TG946D. TruGlo Tritium & Fiber Optic Night Sights.

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    How to spot shotgun owners who don't have a GF or a wife. They have those meat tenderizer door breacher barrels or bayonets on their shotguns. Their women leave them because after running around the house in their underwear doing drills with those 3 foot long spears they tear up all the drapes, bed covers, furniture and their dead Grandma's dusty ass old quilt.

:lmfao::lmfao::nuts::nuts::lmfao::lmfao:

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    Remmington 870. I've been carrying one and keeping one for 20+ years. I've had access to an Ithica and also have a Mossberg. I'll keep the 870.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I recommend you keep the one you have a learn to use it more effectively. Maybe invest in some training on the shotgun platform.

Its about what YOU can do. Who cares what other people think, untill you are Death himself with that shotgun at 3 AM with no glasses on, put it away and pick up your carbine.

Don't forget you have to practice at night using a light.

I LOVE this thread!
    Never seen Dom shoot a scattergun. But, if I'm a hostage, I want one of these guys on the trigger in front of me,...

...the trigger of a carbine.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I admit that I did not read the whole thread, but Teddy12B, I have a 870 Police Magnum that I outfitted with MMC front post and ghost ring rear sights in the mid-90's when everybody said that was the hot ticket.

You are welcome to try it out before you buy something or modify your 870.

PM me if you are interested.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I admit that I did not read the whole thread, but Teddy12B, I have a 870 Police Magnum that I outfitted with MMC front post and ghost ring rear sights in the mid-90's when everybody said that was the hot ticket.

You are welcome to try it out before you buy something or modify your 870.

PM me if you are interested.

In that case, you probably didn't catch the fact that Teddy SUCKS WITH A SHOTGUN. Before you put yours in his hands, hide yo kids, hide yo ... well, hide yo kids. And hide yo pets. And hide. Behind COVER, not just concealment.

Mech45

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    NWI
    My HD shotgun is a 870 I also sometimes use for Three gun, it has a smooth bore slug barrel with rifle type sights on it and a extended tube. I picked the slug barrel up used for $100, it will put a Breneke rifled slug in a 12" paper plate at 100yds. It is loaded with OO when it is in HD mode, I live in a limestone house so over penetration is not a issue.

Top Bottom