I'm rethinking my home shotgun and could use some advice.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    The thing isn't that I'm unfamiliar with the 870 as a platform on how it functions, or stripping it apart. I just really struggle to hit a target with a slug with just a bead for a front sight. I've thought about making a mark on the rear of the receiver so I'd have something to line up with the front sight, but an actual iron sight would be much better than that a line from a sharpie.

Maybe it is just as simple as not using slugs for home defense. A slug and some #4 will kill a guy in a hallway just the same. With slugs there are real chances of over penetration where some #6 down the hall may not cross over into another bedroom or apartment. If you can't hit with a slug, don't use a slug. I personally wouldn't use a slug for HD since, to me, you are defeating the purpose of the shotgun and it's ability to use big shot to cover a broad area. Unless your hallways are 75 yards long you may not need slugs, some good quality #4 or #6 should keep the zombies and the boogermen at bay, it is what is loaded in my 11-87 at home.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    You want a target gun, get a rifle. Figure out the longest distance you would be shooting in your house. If you can consistently put quick shots center mass, then your HD shotgun is doing just fine.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    What shotgun would you recommend for a guy like me?
    None, you suck with a shotgun. Buy a gun you can make hits with or learn to hit with the shotgun.

All I use is a bead. It is faster. Making your gun more complicated, or even worse.............going to a pistol grip only will not fix you. Remember, you suck with a shotgun.

Lets also not forget, you suck with a shotgun so right now no one is safe and that is why you own the damn gun in the first place.

You suck with a great shotgun = Fail

There is no rule you have to own or be good with a shotgun. I am a shotgun guy, everyone in my house is great with them. My GF can outshoot 99% of the guys on this web site with one. There are shotguns available in our home to be used for HD by all of us. I remind her, if the life she has to save is mine, I prefer she use the handguns or carbines first.

The other day she made the comment about loading up her favorite 20 gauge with slugs. I said only in a SHTF situation!

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    Yes

He has a mind block on his shotgun. How hard is it to memorize plus or minus 4" and make hits with a slug at 100 yards? For rifle guys it can be very hard. They do not visualize they are the rear sight.

And how did you become a god with a shotgun? Mynet is you were not laying in your crib and Aries or Mars did not bless your head with gun powder and poof you could shoot lights out. Practice Practice Practice.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    None, you suck with a shotgun. Buy a gun you can make hits with or learn to hit with the shotgun.
    This is how I did it. It is an option for any free American who is not a Felon.

I started at age 5, I am 48 next month. I was trained by relatives who were paid shotgun pros. I still have one video clip of some training from my younger days.

Free your mind and the rest will follow.
    Movie Quote - Bruce Lee as Lee in Enter the Dragon | monologuedb

Don’t think, feeeeeeel. It is like a finger pointing away to the moon. Don’t concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that Heavenly glory

OR

See the bead, be the bead

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Someone rep Zoub for me, please -- this anti-shotgun, anti-rural, anti-whatever system is denying my right to add rep when it's sorely needed.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Come on, now... That's exactly how you would (or at least *should*) talk to your best friend or adult son. It's tough love. Plus it made me chuckle, so bonus points. No, that's not exactly the tone you'd use in telling your wife she's not a great cook, but it's exactly the tone I hope my friends use when I ask, "Hey, I keep getting stuck in my Jeep Rubicon -- will you recommend a vehicle that's better off-road?"

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    A lift kit and larger tires would help, or, you need to choose better lines.

Of course, there's always, YOU SUCK! I HATE YOU!

Terry Barker

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    Central Indiana
    If possible find someone who has ghost ring sights or the X sights....see if they work for you before laying down your money. May be you would prefer the bead....I went with the ghost and love them.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    :tantrum:

Man I feel the love in this room. I have to agree with the idea the idea that the whole reason for having a shotgun by the bed is the versatility of ammo availability for it. I keep the magazine tube full of 00, but I keep slugs on the side in the event that I'd need to make an accurate shot for whatever reason. For example maybe some dirty SOB is holding my daughter, wife, son, neighbor, or whatever as a human shield and it's not the time for 00, but instead I'd need a single accurate shot instead of the wide pattern that 00 puts out. Whatever the scenario is it wouldn't be all bad to be able to make an accurate shot in addition to being able to put out a wide field of lead in a hurry if I needed to. I did alright shooting clays the last time I went and I'm not bad with the shot shells. I'm just trying to dial in my shotgun for the slug use.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    You're not gonna get the accuracy you're looking for especially out of a smooth bore. Get an AR

Or use your sidearm. For home defense, I don't really believe in slugs. For a cop or something, maybe. For home defense, if buckshot isn't the right tool and I have to take a shot at 3 inches of BG melon peeking out from behind hostage, I'll switch to my handgun.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Before you invest in anything more I'd say grab about $25 worth of slugs and take a few shots out to 50 yards always keeping your cheek against the stock and see where/how you have to adjust your aim. a gun vice or Lead Sled would rule if you had access to one of those. They do make aftermarket notch rear sites that clip on the vent rib of your shotgun, FWIW.

Just to play the devil's advocate in your scenario, the time it would take to eject the 00 shot and insert just 1 slug you could transition from long gun to sidearm and have 15 rounds of 9mm at your disposal. I know the debate then moves to grabbing BOTH the shotgun and pistol but for me, if I had to make a shot like that I sure wouldn't trust it to a smooth bore shotgun and a slug, I'd take it with a carbine or a handgun with Crimson Trace.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Or use your sidearm. For home defense, I don't really believe in slugs. For a cop or something, maybe. For home defense, if buckshot isn't the right tool and I have to take a shot at 3 inches of BG melon peeking out from behind hostage, I'll switch to my handgun.

If Buckshot won't put 'em down you better have a slug in the pipe next... ;)

Top Bottom