I'm rethinking my home shotgun and could use some advice.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    If Buckshot won't put 'em down you better have a slug in the pipe next... ;)

I keep slugs on the sidesaddle and in the sling for the odd situation that might dictate its use -- for example, I used one to open an uncooperative PC case recently..., but in the situation the OP described, needing an accurate shot (as opposed to firepower/penetration) at the distances I'd deal with in MY house, I'd feel much better about switching to the handgun, personally (since I already chose a shotgun over a carbine...) Of course YMMV.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    For home defense, if buckshot isn't the right tool and I have to take a shot at 3 inches of BG melon peeking out from behind hostage, I'll switch to my handgun.

I don't necessarily agree. I will still want my shotgun in that scenario if I already have it out. I know exactly what my gun is capable of with my preferred load. I'll take the sight radius of the shotgun over that of the pistol all day long as a form of extra insurance.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    :tantrum:

Man I feel the love in this room. I have to agree with the idea the idea that the whole reason for having a shotgun by the bed is the versatility of ammo availability for it. I keep the magazine tube full of 00, but I keep slugs on the side in the event that I'd need to make an accurate shot for whatever reason. For example maybe some dirty SOB is holding my daughter, wife, son, neighbor, or whatever as a human shield and it's not the time for 00, but instead I'd need a single accurate shot instead of the wide pattern that 00 puts out. Whatever the scenario is it wouldn't be all bad to be able to make an accurate shot in addition to being able to put out a wide field of lead in a hurry if I needed to. I did alright shooting clays the last time I went and I'm not bad with the shot shells. I'm just trying to dial in my shotgun for the slug use.
    It is because we love you that we go Mr. Miyagi on Yo ass. Well I guess it was just me.

But reread what I wrote with love in your heart. I don't even want my GF making surgical shots with a slug. If I am a hostage, there is time to go get a carbine, come back and put 5 in his eye, which she can do with an AR................and I won't crap my pants when she drops the hammer.

The best quote I ever heard on shotguns, from a friend who trains killers worldwide. "When you need Buck, you need a whole bunch of it, when you need slugs, the same thing applies."

Rarely do you need variety when you start pulling the trigger on a shotgun. A gun filled with buck and slugs on the side is enough. Some of my door guns / out the door guns only have buck. But if they do come out they stop a whole lot of crap in its tracks and then I can drop it and go get an AR with some 20 round mags or Glocks or both. I don't live in a 5000 square foot home so my walk is not far to get them.

The slugs are not for sniper shots, they are for shooting through a couch, end table, wall corner, dishwasher, cat and then the bad guy.

See the bead, be the bead. It's the journey, not the destination.

PS at close range, aim for the ear if you miss you will probably still blow half his face/head off or destroy his hearing and scare the crap out of him because you were actually willing to take the shot. I have seen two head shots with shotguns, oh yeah they work fine. Just do me a favor, if I am the hostage, call 911. Don't take the shot. The muzzle blast alone may burn my eyes out and scar my face. I make my living with natural good looks.

PSS if you practice and post pics of the targets then it is a different story.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I don't necessarily agree. I will still want my shotgun in that scenario if I already have it out. I know exactly what my gun is capable of with my preferred load. I'll take the sight radius of the shotgun over that of the pistol all day long as a form of extra insurance.

I would like to experiment with this. I say we make the proper targets and find out exactly how accurate you can be with your preferred load. And I know a good range where we can do this too ;)

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011

Even if you have to handload a slug? Or are you running all slugs, or...? My statement here was based on the fact that the OP said he's running buck in the tube, but has to make a point shot. If I already had a slug in the gun, I'd be 100% with you, but like the OP, I run all buckshot in the tube and would have to handload a slug. For me, I don't like that option given the scenario I think he was describing. I wouldn't argue with anyone about what would work best for THEM, just for me.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I am starting to like this guy, he gets it.

Me, too, but I would have liked it better if my friends didn't give me the sugar-coated "maybe you could pick better lines" and told me what they were really thinking, "learn to $&$#)( drive!"

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    :tantrum:

Man I feel the love in this room. I have to agree with the idea the idea that the whole reason for having a shotgun by the bed is the versatility of ammo availability for it. I keep the magazine tube full of 00, but I keep slugs on the side in the event that I'd need to make an accurate shot for whatever reason. For example maybe some dirty SOB is holding my daughter, wife, son, neighbor, or whatever as a human shield and it's not the time for 00, but instead I'd need a single accurate shot instead of the wide pattern that 00 puts out. Whatever the scenario is it wouldn't be all bad to be able to make an accurate shot in addition to being able to put out a wide field of lead in a hurry if I needed to. I did alright shooting clays the last time I went and I'm not bad with the shot shells. I'm just trying to dial in my shotgun for the slug use.

I think two things

1. You have said you do not have the skill to make an accurate shot with a shotgun, I would not want to be the hostage in this situation. If you HAVE a gun you are proficient with, put the shotgun away for a while till you become proficient with it.

2. Sights are a good thing. A shotgun that will be used as a rifle should have sights that would be used on a rifle. The only thing that has changed is the bore size. If you are going to use your shotgun as a rifle, get "rifle sights".

Bead sights are quite easy to use, but if YOU cant, for whatever reason, put the gun away untill YOU can.

Its about what YOU can do. Who cares what other people think, untill you are Death himself with that shotgun at 3 AM with no glasses on, put it away and pick up your carbine.

Thats my opinion and its worth about what you paid for it.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I think two things

1. You have said you do not have the skill to make an accurate shot with a shotgun, I would not want to be the hostage in this situation. If you HAVE a gun you are proficient with, PRACTICE WITH the shotgun for a while till you become proficient with it.

2. Sights are a good thing. A shotgun that will be used as a rifle should have sights that would be used on a rifle. The only thing that has changed is the bore size. If you are going to use your shotgun as a rifle, get "rifle sights".

Bead sights are quite easy to use, but if YOU cant, for whatever reason, PRACTICE WITH the gun until YOU can.

Its about what YOU can do. Who cares what other people think, until you are Death himself with that shotgun at 3 AM with no glasses on, put it away and pick up your carbine, assuming you can make the shot with it.

Thats my opinion and its worth about what you paid for it.

FTFY. I'm pretty sure that's what you meant, anyway.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    untill you are Death himself with that shotgun at 3 AM with no glasses on, put it away and pick up your carbine.
    There are some gems in this thread, this is one of them.

You might consider adding "pumped full of adrenaline, your head pounding and about to **** yourself" but hey, it is damn good just the way it is.

What really matters is that after 6 pages of posts the OP still sucks with a shotgun and no one wants to be the hostage.

Next year maybe I will sponsor a night shotgun shoot up here at the club.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    What really matters is that after 6 pages of posts the OP still sucks with a shotgun and no one wants to be the hostage.

Another gem. And if the OP could really become death by reading 6 pages of internet wisdom on the subject, the world would be a very different place run by ... well, younger versions of US.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    You know what, we are not solving the OP's problem. Lets consider his needs, surgical with a shotgun.

HELL-OH.............bayonet lug. Problem solved, next thread.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    You know what, we are not solving the OP's problem. Lets consider his needs, surgical with a shotgun.

HELL-OH.............bayonet lug. Problem solved, next thread.

I have a bayonet on one of my HD shotguns. I keed you NOT, and there's an INGO member who can vouch for it, if he comes out of the blade threads long enough to read this. I consider it an aiming device. Insert bayonet into intended target, pull trigger, guaranteed hit.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I have a bayonet on one of my HD shotguns. I keed you NOT, and there's an INGO member who can vouch for it, if he comes out of the blade threads long enough to read this. I consider it an aiming device. Insert bayonet into intended target, pull trigger, guaranteed hit.

You actually put a bayonet on your shotgun and I'm the one here getting told I suck?!?!? The world is a cruel place, lol.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I really struggle to get the same sight picture for each shot when I only have the sight to contend with.
    Wow a bayonet for real. I bet Ichoke-her has a heat shield too

IF the OP ever comes back and reads this far into this totally hijacked and crapped up thread, we need to offer something usefull. :welcome:

Mr OP, Right there in bold is your problem. It is the oldest problem in the world of all shotgun sports. How you shoulder your gun.

Start by wearing a T shirt and stand in front of a mirror. Do I need to say unloaded gun? Shoulder gun and aim. What happens? What do you see?

Do you snag the top of your recoil pad on your shirt during the mount? After you mount the gun do you see the top of the receiver at an agnle or just a profile and a bead?

Do it 20 to 30 times.

Top Bottom