• I'm NOT going back because:

• Total voters

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    My view on the "loaded gun" in the shop.

If you bring a firearm in to be traded, worked on, looked at, it should be unloaded. If it is loaded, I am not going to be happy and I'm going to tell you about it.

If you carry a firearm for self-defense, I don't care if it's loaded as long as it stays holstered. If you draw it for any reason without informing me, you may not survive the encounter.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Speaking of the loaded gun in the shop; I like the video on Youtube of the guys from Moss Pawn where they show the big jar of various pistol, rifle, and shotgun rounds. All of them were taken out of "unloaded" guns brought into their shop.

djhuckle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2012
    Private Property, his store, if he chooses to smoke, that is his deal. Don't like the smoke? Don't go in the store. Simple.

Did you read the law? It's a place of employment.

Where is smoking prohibited?
    Smoking is prohibited in most public places and pla
    ces of employment. Smoking is also prohibited
    in state-owned vehicles and school buses under cert
    ain circumstances.

Where is smoking permitted?
    Smoking is permitted in the following establishment
    s: a horse-racing facility, a riverboat, a facility

with a gambling game license, a satellite-gaming fa
    cility, cigar bars, hookah bars, certain fraternal
    clubs, a retail-tobacco store, a bar or tavern meet
    ing certain requirements, a cigar-manufacturing
    facility, a cigar-specialty store, a business in a
    private residence, provided that each establishment

meets the requirements of
    I.C. 7.1-5-12

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I'm not saying it's right,wrong, good, or bad. If it's your business, it's your right to run it as you please. It's just my opinion that if a new face walks in, you should either take a break to talk to them or try to involve them in your peanut gallery. Ignoring potential revenue is just bad for business.

Just wondering, when is the last time a clerk in Walmart, Rural King, your local Supermarket or the other stores you frequent "ASKED" if you need assistance?

What is so wrong with "Telling them" you want some help? As I stated earlier, I am not thinned skinned or bashful. If I want help, I ask for it. Believe it or not - I have NEVER been refused.

I like many (if not most) people go into GS's to "browse", looking at their firearms and accessories - normally these are marked with the current "retail" price. When / if I find something I think I might want I ASK for help and try to negotiate a price we are both happy with. Sometimes it happens, sometimes not (I did purchase over a dozen firearms in the last 12 months).

It doesn't bother me if the price ends up more than I am willing to pay. OK, so he has more invested or requires a higher markup then I am willing to pay - his business - his prices! Sometimes he has given too much for a trade-in - not my problem.. But doesn't mean I am insulted.

I have gone to some shops a few times without buying - then find something I want at a great price! I want the GS's to stay in business! They have to make a profit every day! I don't expect the owner or salesperson to become my best friend. Grumpy I can put up with - probably a little grumpy myself! If they say something that annoys me - I TELL them, hasn't resulted in any fistfights lately!:)

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I frequently browse in gun stores.
    I try to stay out of the way of customers who are intent on buying. I'll ask questions if they aren't busy. If they are busy, I'll just look around and, if I don't see anything I need, I'll leave.
    When the owner is out-right rude and indicates he doesn't want me in his shop, as happened recently, I leave promptly and don't go back.
    Sorry if he was having a bad day or his PTSD was kicking up, but there are too many gun shops on the west side of Indy for me to go to one where I'm not welcome.
    I might give him a try in a year or two, if he's still there, but I doubt he'll be in business that long. Losing your temper and "blowing up" is bad for business.

RAP

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    New Whiteland
    Getting ignored while the owner talked to the peanut gallery. You know, the group of old men who sit around the shop and talk all day. Not so much as a be there in a second.

That sounds exactly like my 3 visits to Elmore Guns in Greenwood. At first I just thought it was a fluke, so I went back a couple of weeks later and the same thing. I figured maybe three's the charm and of course it wasn't. What I did forget to mention was that I was 1 of mabye 4 customers.

Sajer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    I love these threads hammering gunshops and employees! And I will agree that many shops find it difficult to provide a "basic" customer service to everyone.

However, lets talk about customers why dont we! ;)

In 7 years of working at a gunshop behind the counter I have seen many things.

I am swept every weekend I work by idiots. I even have them point the gun and pull the trigger towards me or another person , which they get a reminder on safety.

I get lasers in the eyes or flashlights from across the room.

I get guns that when I ask if its unloaded they say yes, only to have me clear it and find a round in it. Yea, that is awesome.

I get people that want to argue about weapons and try and poke holes in everything I say. You know if you know everything why did you ask me?

I get know it alls that jump into conversations when Iam working with a customer and spew complete bull**** that will then screw the noob up on what is right.:rolleyes:

I get pissed off people that hate the shop, yet they come in to buy ammo or guns, but will make snide remarks the whole time. And then go online later and cry about it.

I get felons that come in knowing they wont pass the NICS, but still waste my time.

I get straw purchases that I have to deny.

I get people that take numerous times to fill a form out because they wont listen to my instructions and tell me " hey this isnt my first rodeo there buddy" and screw it up.

I get the people that take up hours of your time while others wait only to tell you " oh i cant buy anything anyway". Knowing that we are so busy we cant get to everyone that WANTS to buy something.

I get to clean up bathrooms from customers that look like they have been eating slim jims for the last few days and they are now acting as laxatives as they destroy the public bathroom. Oh, and dont tell anyone you clogged it up, just keep raning more on it cause that will help.

I have people try and make offers to other customers in the store. Take that outside.

I get people that want to return a gun because it was too much money, dont like it anymore , wife is pissed, heard the gun was junk , and so on.

People that get pissed because I dont have a screw for a ( insert some obscure rifle , pistol , shotgun here) and then sit and cry about it.

Complainers about prices , yet they will buy up whatever it is they are looking for. Or tell me Bills place down the street has it cheaper when I tell them " hey this is as far as I can go with a discount".

You cant make everyone happy even when you try. Granted there are many shops that dont even try and be helpful.

I try and give unbiased feedback on firearms and extras that I have knowledge of.
    Just because I carry a Glock that day doesnt mean its the best dang gun in the world and all others are junk. Though I have heard that many times from people selling guns.
    If I dont know the answer , I will try and find out for you or just tell "I dont know".

Now lets get back to the original post you negative nancy's!!:):

sailorjim

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2011
    "you ain't from around here are you....."

I have had this experience several times. Always on the first visit and if it is bad enough I don't go back for a second visit.

jstarbuck

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    GSE's telling me that I don't want what I want, mostly because that's not what they had in stock. I was looking for a Sig p238. I did my research and figured out that's what I wanted. Almost every LGS I went into tried to talk me into an LCP, Keltec, or Taurus, even after I explained that I specifically wanted the P238.

nucular

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Just wondering, when is the last time a clerk in Walmart, Rural King, your local Supermarket or the other stores you frequent "ASKED" if you need assistance?

What is so wrong with "Telling them" you want some help? As I stated earlier, I am not thinned skinned or bashful. If I want help, I ask for it. Believe it or not - I have NEVER been refused.

I like many (if not most) people go into GS's to "browse", looking at their firearms and accessories - normally these are marked with the current "retail" price. When / if I find something I think I might want I ASK for help and try to negotiate a price we are both happy with. Sometimes it happens, sometimes not (I did purchase over a dozen firearms in the last 12 months).

Firstly, Walmart or Rural King isn't a good analogy. The majority of their products are laid out on the shelf. I can go in and fondle the product and if I decide to buy, I can take it right up to the counter, pay for it, and leave. Also, in the few areas that aren't like this such as the firearms section there is always an employee manning the section and yes, every time I have come close an employee asks me if I would like help.

I was in bare arms last week and the place was relatively busy. The place had a sufficient amount of employees to man the store and I noticed that at least one employee would talk to every customer through the door even if it was just a "Hi". The people working there were actually working there and treating it as a business. Not a place to kill time until someone asks them if they could please take a look at something.

You don't have to spend all day on a customer. Ask them if they are looking for anything in particular. No? Great - take your time and wave me down if you have a question. You can circle around to a lot of customers just doing that.

As far as asking for help vs. waiting to be asked. That is fine, but it is easier to wave down an employee who looks like they are there to work and ready to help people. Again, any of these guns can run their business however they choose but in my opinion, it's a business and if they want to succeed and prosper especially after this boom, they should run them like one and for any business that caters to customers, that means good customer service.

I don't really get the complaints about various types of customers. Yeah, some customers suck and you don't want them. So do what you need to do and move on to the next one. You can't paint everyone that comes through the door with the same brush.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Speaking of the loaded gun in the shop; I like the video on Youtube of the guys from Moss Pawn where they show the big jar of various pistol, rifle, and shotgun rounds. All of them were taken out of "unloaded" guns brought into their shop.

I have a cofee cup filled with the same. Sometimes someone sees something "they can't live without" and trade their carry gun that day..I have them dump the ammo in the cup and sometimes if someone buys a gun and there is no ammo I give them ammo out of the cup..But there is alot of it from "unloaded" guns...

Top Bottom