• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • I'm NOT going back because:

• Total voters

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Employees that like to toss their cigarettes towards my convertible with the top down (landing right at the very edge of the top of the windshield and metal frame where it could of blown into the car)
    Employees that like to say a gun isn't worth trusting your life to unless it costs atleast $500.00.
    Employees that try to field strip a gun trying to show off, dropping half of the parts on the floor then trying to brag about how quick he took it apart, picked the parts up off the floor and left an idiot mark.

These all came from the same place.

Someone put a idiot mark on my 1911 I would be BEYOND hot..
    As for uppers I've never had an issue with anyone at ITP or PSS. I prefer ITP because it's closer and not a smoky but still good service both places.
    [FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1911 Mechanic[/FONT]

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Speaking for myself....More like a passion...

Many of those folks, at least in my peanut gallery, are veterans of WW2, Korea, Vietnam, and our more recent conflicts...They hang out here to talk and shoot the bull. Many of my INGO customers hang out here as well just to hear these guys talk...We never interrupt them...It's much better than History Channel IMHO.

I myself never served but I never tire of learning the lessons and hearing the stories of those that did...It's funny...I had felt gun shops had gotten too sterile (Here is your item, give me your debit card, swipe, have a nice day.) and tried to bring back the the "peanut gallery" atmosphere I remember from my youth...To each his own I suppose...

This sounds great. All the relatives I had that served in WWII/Korea, etc. are now gone or they never wanted to talk about that time.

Along this vein but in a different business, this reminds me of a time right after we moved out into the country. For more time than I realized I had lived in places like the soulless town of Bloomington or bigger cities like Knoxville, TN prior to moving down by Mitchell. One day, soon after moving, I had to make a quick run into one of the little hardware stores in Mitchell. I was used to the shopping model you described Indiucky: get it, pay for it, and leave... and I was in a kind of hurry on this particular trip. Well, I got to the register to pay for my stuff but the lady behind the register started making small talk--asking what that drill bit extender was used for, etc. For a brief moment, I bridled at the idea this lady was holding me up--I had stuff to do. After a couple seconds though, it dawned on me: This is why I moved away from city life.

Man, I don't miss that crap. I've seen both ways and I like this way better.

Last edited:

DFM914

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Avon
    How is it two of the bigger gun stores in the Indianapolis area get around the smoking ban? Are they social fraternities? Is it because they feel it's their God given right to smoke? Just wondering. I thought the ban was state wide. Yes I am allergic to smoke and do have my panties in a bunch, just in case you "real men" want to know. Hold on, I'm shaking the sand out of my vagina. Ok thanks.

http://www.in.gov/atc/files/Smoking_Ban_FAQ_General_Information_053112.pdf

Private Property, his store, if he chooses to smoke, that is his deal. Don't like the smoke? Don't go in the store. Simple.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    Shop #1: Smoke so thick I didn't want to take my son inside, came back without him. Smoke still really thick, but that's not enough to drive me out. Took a few friends, spent some cash even though some of the employees were a bit stand-offish...then went back and saw a $100.50 Pmag. Never been back, never will go back.

Shop #2: Posted something they had in their inventory that I was interested in. The door had a sign that said "no loaded guns, no exceptions". Since I didn't want to call and arrange the transaction in the parking lot, I left without entering. Your house, your rules, but my money won't support you.

On a positive note, I have several LGS on a regular rotation. All have been consistently fair with their pricing, allow loaded weapons that remain holstered, and are friendly and clean.

1) Beech Grove Firearms. Last time I bought ammo there, it was cheaper than online sources.
    2) Indy Trading Post. Haven't bought anything yet, but stopped in and looked a few times. I just didn't "discover" them until the panic brought inventories down and they haven't had what I'm looking for. They've been friendly as I browsed, though. I have taken some friends in who did make some purchases.
    3) US Defense Solutions (new business in Greenwood, looks promising so far). Made a minor purchase, owners are members on this board and look to really have a passion for doing their store the right way.
    4) 256 Sport & Garden any time I'm down around Austin. Dale's a character, love to stop in and see what he's got going on. His prices are really good, and he gets good inventory for such a small shop. I don't know how, but his suppliers must love him, he gets goodies no one else has. My favorite 1911 came from his shop.
    5) Orion Arms. Chris is a great guy to work with. I just don't get down to Jeffersonville very much these days. When I lived further south, I spent thousands in that shop, if you count when it was still Kiesler's.
    6) Outdoorsman Sport Shop. This is a new addition to the list, only been in once. Very friendly sales staff and they were great with my son.

I agree 256 sport n garden is the best, me and dale usually end up talking for hours on end. the next time your in austin send a pm and maybe we can get some range time in or a make shift meet n' greet, they did open a new shop in austin though, its in the hardware store in town buy I have never been able to find anything im interested in there

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    I hold gun stores and junkyards in the same category. Most people who work them don't have the best customer service skills. Some may be introverts.. Shop there enough though and they'll know you pretty well. Not by name, but enough to give you their undivided attention and be happy to see you.

Secondly.. Think about the clientele they deal with on a daily basis.

Im not to sure about that, me and my ex went to out lgs so much his wife actually got her a purse for christmas, and the other two or three lgs's I use all greet me by name when I walk in, I love dealing with awsome people.

Jeff

Home of the P7
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    South Indy
    Watched a LEO hand a inexperienced CSR a loaded/cocked/locked compact 1911. The CSR flips off the safety and takes aim at a store light fixture. I told him to lower the gun and put it on the counter. He asked why, I told him the gentleman needed to clear the weapon.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    I voted other. Went in to a store. Asked if they a certain item. They said no, I said can you order it for me. They said I could but that I would rather have another item that they currently had in stock. I said no I would rather have this other item I don't mind waiting I am willing to make deposit and they still refused to order it or work with me. Note: the item I wanted was twice the cost of what they were trying to sell me. and this was well before the panic buying.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Ooh, from a different shop I admittedly still go to, but being told Prvi Partizan ammo is Eastern European junk that will blow my gun up and I instead should buy good old US made Remington for $10 a box more kind of rubbed me the wrong way.

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    Voted other
    I picked up a RRA Elite Operator of GB when they were running the 999 special. I had the firearm transferrrd to LGS. When I went in to pick it up they instantly started giving me slack about not buying from them, fair enough. I noted their price on a Double Star was higher than I paid for the RRA. A customer approached the table at that point interested in my AR and started asking me questions about it and why I purchased that model.... The guy behind the counter interrupted and stated all AR's are the same they are all mil spec and built to the same tolerances. I kindly disagreed and pointed out a lot of the features the RRA came with upgraded stock quad rail winter trigger guard trigger and on and on . They also damaged a slide installing night sights and denied responsibility for it. Those 2 coupled with there panic prices before the panic even happened will make me never go there again..... Well I did transfer an elite entry RRA there just out of spite.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Gun shop bad experience

Something happened this afternoon that made me want to look this thread up. I made a specific trip to a central Indiana gun shop this afternoon. It was a shop that is mentioned on this site often. I checked their website and saw they had a pistol I wanted to purchase at a fair market price. With cash in hand I knocked on the closed/locked door of the shop. There are no shop windows so I could not see if anyone was in the shop or not and I didn't realize they weren't yet open. The owner, I presume, cracked the door six inches and asked what I wanted. I said I was there to purchase a firearm that was listed on their website.

His reply -"We don't open until 4:00 ( it was 3:35) and shut the door in my face. I walked away but for whatever misguided reason I couldn't resist calling the shop about 10 minutes later to indicate I thought it was poor customer service to not have at least indicated they would open shortly and ask me to be patient. Instead of either a minimal apology or at least a courteous explanation of why they couldn't/wouldn't open early the response I got was:

"We open at 4:00. The hours are on the door. " Before I could stop myself I replied "I guess it must be nice you have so much business you can have that attitude." The owner's reply ( and I quote ) "We do and I don't care."
    I then informed him, again, that I had cash in my pocket to purchase a gun, and that I had also given serious thought to taking several gun courses through his shop. By my count, they just turned away a minimum of $1,000, maybe more. Apparently the environment we are now in allows some gun stores to adopt this attitude. I hope when the current gun frenzy and inventory shortage ends that some of the gun shops take a course or two in customer service. I think they'll need to. At least this shop owner . . . . if he isn't out of business by then.

End of rant ! :soapbox:

lucky3031

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Evansville
    Being talked down to by employees who do not know what they are talking about, but never fail to inform me that they have x years in the military or on the police force and therefore know everything about guns.

It usually goes down like this:

Me: Excuse me, but do you have product X?

Gunstore employee: What? They don't make those and they never will.

Me: Do you mind checking with one of the other guys, I've been reading about product X and would like to purchase one if I can find one.

GSE: Look bud, I've been a cop for Y years and was in the military for Z years before that. If they ever made that product I would know.

Me: Thank You ( I try to catch the eye of another gun store employee to ask)

GSE: What, you don't think I know what I'm talking about? I said Y years as a cop and Z years as military. I KNOW GUNS.

That's how it usually goes down. I have seen it time and time again in various gun shops years apart. I really don't know why I inspire this reaction. It's not like I'm looking for unicorn testes, I'm usually looking for a model of a common firearm or a type of ammo from a major manufacturer. I just seem to draw these guys out of the woodwork.

It really is a shame... I know shops just like this. Makes you want to not do business with them. Also one reason why i drive 30 minutes out of my way to Meeks in Ft Branch every weekend. even if i dont buy anything. good people there and i dont mind plugging them because of that fact.:ingo:

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Shop #1: Smoke so thick I didn't want to take my son inside, came back without him. Smoke still really thick, but that's not enough to drive me out. Took a few friends, spent some cash even though some of the employees were a bit stand-offish...then went back and saw a $100.50 Pmag. Never been back, never will go back.

Shop #2: Posted something they had in their inventory that I was interested in. The door had a sign that said "no loaded guns, no exceptions". Since I didn't want to call and arrange the transaction in the parking lot, I left without entering. Your house, your rules, but my money won't support you.

On a positive note, I have several LGS on a regular rotation. All have been consistently fair with their pricing, allow loaded weapons that remain holstered, and are friendly and clean.

1) Beech Grove Firearms. Last time I bought ammo there, it was cheaper than online sources.
    2) Indy Trading Post. Haven't bought anything yet, but stopped in and looked a few times. I just didn't "discover" them until the panic brought inventories down and they haven't had what I'm looking for. They've been friendly as I browsed, though. I have taken some friends in who did make some purchases.
    3) US Defense Solutions (new business in Greenwood, looks promising so far). Made a minor purchase, owners are members on this board and look to really have a passion for doing their store the right way.
    4) 256 Sport & Garden any time I'm down around Austin. Dale's a character, love to stop in and see what he's got going on. His prices are really good, and he gets good inventory for such a small shop. I don't know how, but his suppliers must love him, he gets goodies no one else has. My favorite 1911 came from his shop.
    5) Orion Arms. Chris is a great guy to work with. I just don't get down to Jeffersonville very much these days. When I lived further south, I spent thousands in that shop, if you count when it was still Kiesler's.
    6) Outdoorsman Sport Shop. This is a new addition to the list, only been in once. Very friendly sales staff and they were great with my son.

I agree! It amazes me at some of the stuff Dale can get, lol. He got me my DPMS RECON (when everyone else said good luck) an got me my Mossberg SA-20 , which I just put on layaway today (wich also everyone either laughed or said good luck in finding) If you can stand listening to his stories or talking, hes great to deal with, lol

Last edited:

Mango

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I bought a new Walther PPQ yesterday, I finally found one in stock and was puzzled. After all the reviews and shoot videos, the gun had the push button mag release, not the trigger guard paddle. I inquired about this and the guy said he knew nothing about them. He asked another guy and he said it was the newer model. Great. Then he kept talking. Said the only reason he had the damn thing was because they couldn't get anything else in. Seriously? All I've heard about this gun is how good the trigger is and how well it shoots.

I just smiled and said I'd take it, it was a decent price.

blueboxer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 15, 2012
    Indianapolis
    My favorite part about this thread is that I can guess what shop the poster is talking about from the description probably 70% of the time :)

By far and away, the thing that bugs me the most is when GSE's are all talking to each other and don't acknowledge you when you come in, or offer to get something out for you when you have been looking for a while. And yes, I dress and act in a manner that should garner positive employee attention. I.E. I know my stuff, and I have the ability to buy it.

Also, while this wouldn't stop me from returning to a shop, it really irks me when GSE's treat me like an idiot for asking them about a particular model that "doesn't exist." Random example: I ask if they have an M&P9 VTAC in stock, and briefly describe the gun to them. The employee (who reportedly knows all about M&P's) says X model doesn't exist. Frankly if you work in a shop that sells GUNS I expect you to, at the least, know what models are out there. Since your average GSE has close to zero sales skills, they should at least know about the items they are attempting to sell. I don't think that's asking too much. Just my two cents.

seabassz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    Let's turn this around a bit. How about the shops who see the same people week after week who never buy anything because they're just price comparing to the internet?

Top Bottom