Illegal to play live music in Indiana without a permit from IN Homeland Security

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I think a more pressing question is who gets to decide if its safe for me to play the piano while people eat.

See? If you had said that in the beginning, we could have avoided all the other stuff. I think it's a stupid law that a business would have to have a special permit just so a guy can play a piano (seriously).

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Yeah, I think that gets to a theory that I've always had that humans evolved living in relatively small social units, and are really just not adequately adapted to live in organizations bigger than one in which they personally know most or all the other members.

Basically, we've always done our best living in small discrete social units, even when those small units were part of a larger collective.

i have shared that train of thought for some time now....we are pack animals not ant colonies

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    See? If you had said that in the beginning, we could have avoided all the other stuff. I think it's a stupid law that a business would have to have a special permit just so a guy can play a piano (seriously).

Yes.... piano, flute, harmonica, mariachi band... I can keep going. But if I want to play rock music that should be my decision too. :)

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    No. It's more like people deciding how they wish to govern themselves. I would not support this and if I lived in the affected areas, I would be calling and attending meetings, etc.

But if the people of Zionsville wish to do this to themselves...that's another aspect of freedom. What business is it of mine?

When it comes to property rights and guns, INGOers are up in arms. A government big enough to regulate music in a bar is big enough to regulate your back yard range.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    When it comes to property rights and guns, INGOers are up in arms. A government big enough to regulate music in a bar is big enough to regulate your back yard range.

Like you said, the voters reap what they sow. It's to be seen if the good people of Zionsville want this but if they do...enjoy. If not, they'll have an opportunity to correct it the next election.

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    No. It's more like people deciding how they wish to govern themselves. I would not support this and if I lived in the affected areas, I would be calling and attending meetings, etc.

But if the people of Zionsville wish to do this to themselves...that's another aspect of freedom. What business is it of mine?

umm telling other people what they can or cannot do on their property (that doesnt hurt others) is not self governance.....remember the individual is the smallest minority and the one guy in zionsville with a brand new gun range that he spent two years working on and paying for now has his individual rights in the hands of a bunch of angry soccer moms....

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Like you said, the voters reap what they sow. It's to be seen if the good people of Zionsville want this but if they do...enjoy. If not, they'll have an opportunity to correct it the next election.

But people want to eat their cake and have it too. They're all for building codes and zoning laws when they're pointed at their neighbors but now that the same behemoth is pointed at a proposed new gun range, shop, or their private range in their back yards, it's not fair. I don't feel any sympathy for these hypocrites.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    umm telling other people what they can or cannot do on their property (that doesnt hurt others) is not self governance.....remember the individual is the smallest minority and the one guy in zionsville with a brand new gun range that he spent two years working on and paying for now has his individual rights in the hands of a bunch of angry soccer moms....

Yeah that would suck. Like I said, I would not support this proposal if I lived there. But to deny groups of people the right to determine how they wish their corner of the world (within the constraints if the state and federal constitutions, etc) is another form of tyranny.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    You are taking the position that it should be illegal to strum a guitar in your own building without paid permission, and then give lectures to me about property rights.

Strum all the guitars you wish, or play a lute and I will eat my goat stew as I am wont to do in downtown Indianapolis. But you cannot have a concert without the fire marshal signing off on your Great White exit plan.

Your property rights end when you endanger others. I like to shoot but I cannot shoot at my neighbor's house and then whine about "meye rye-its" when I am told to stop shooting my neighbors' house.

The state has the constitutional power to do this. You don't like it. We get it. However, these statutes exist to protect rights. This world is NOT just you and an L. Neil Smith novel.

The statutes may be applied in an arbitrary and capricious manner. The statutes may be unneeded or, as Mr. J. sagely observes, be devolved to towns or counties. However, they are not some mark of tyranny.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Your property rights end when you endanger others.

Disagree.

Your property rights end when you cause tangible damage to others.

'Danger' is vague. I 'endanger' others by owning a firearm. I mean, who knows what could happen?? I 'endanger' others by grilling food in my yard. Fires could start that way. I could go on for hours. Suffice it to say that your standard of where property rights begin and end ultimately results in zero individual property rights, and I think it's a silly standard.

Allowing others to assess the inherent risk in my actions is exactly how our gun rights have been and will continue to be removed. We need to change this way of thinking if we ever want to have liberty in this nation again.

Jarhead77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Noblesville
    It's most certainly the instruments fault. No one is safe around instruments. DHS has spoken and we should stop playing our instruments indoors.
    How do I turn purple on again?!

onetwoonetwo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2012
    somewhere in the dark
    just buy the little 2 track pro tools box and run the main stereo mix 1/64 of a second delay and it is no longer live. even buy the end of the song your still pretty much on time(4 minute song, the delay at the end would be 1/64 of a second), digital sound is based on zeroes and ones(just like all digital stuff) and is broken down into that. so all the music and television shows and movies that are digital( which is now 99.9% ) have 64 little pieces spliced together with a tiny gap in between each one per second. the human ear can not hear or tell the difference, and your still not "live". that is why all new music sounds like it is spit in you ear and crappy.
    digital sound, for years has had no depth. left to right sounds good but digital can't do front to back like analog tape. that is why old records sound real good and natural and have depth. analog is one long run with no gaps on the tape. digital is 64 little pieces spliced together with a tiny little space 64 times a second in between each and every second, that is why new music sounds so "spit in your ear"( and some people think it sounds good ).
    this thread is about being able to put on a show with out the "man" telling you how to do that. all they want is money. i have worked thousands of rock/rap/country/ shows, video shoots and all kinds of strange shows/gigs and even some broadway productions for various promoters and yes, the fire marshal does want it safe for all and they do inspect, but this does not sound like that. this sounds like they just want to get their cut of the bands or club or promoters money. so the way around that is don't play live, and 1/64 of a second delay makes it not "live".
    always be safe in putting on a show but how many hands need a cut? "it's not live, it's memorex". sound check, one two one two, sound check, one two one two.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Restrictive rules generally increase as local population increases. If there is only one guy in the county, there isn't much need for rules. If there are 5 million people in a county, then you're swimming in rules. Add to that differences in perspective; If the first guy in the county runs a rendering plant (turning dead animals into feed), no problem. But what eventually happens to the rendering plant when enough people move in that have no financial or other interest in the plant?

When there are more people in your town that are afraid of guns then there are vocal gun owners, changes may be inevitable. Your only choice is to vote with your feet.

These kinds of changes are unstoppable; completely unstoppable. You might as well scream at the sky when it rains too much, because with each new baby that's born, and with each new person that moves in, our rights are incrementally reduced.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    These kinds of changes are unstoppable; completely unstoppable. You might as well scream at the sky when it rains too much, because with each new baby that's born, and with each new person that moves in, our rights are incrementally reduced.

Especially with guys like you and Kirk voting.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Your property rights end when you cause tangible damage to others

When you invite the public, then you have a duty to take reasonable steps to protect them and your neighbors, especially after the horrific fires that have occured.

If the fire code is being used as an economic fence, then we have a different issue.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    When you invite the public, then you have a duty to take reasonable steps to protect them and your neighbors, especially after the horrific fires that have occured.

Why? Why do I have that duty? Do I have a duty to provide them with armed guards? Do I have a duty to offer breast cancer screening at the door? Do I have a duty to make sure they have their government mandated vaccines on the way in? Do I have a duty to make sure they are eating a healthy, balanced diet based on the government food pyramid?

Why are you so terrified of liberty? Are you incapable of checking for an acceptable number of fire doors before you attend a live concert?

Top Bottom