Illegal to play live music in Indiana without a permit from IN Homeland Security

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • onetwoonetwo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2012
    somewhere in the dark
    Put the performance on a one second delay. Not live now.
    they could just use Pro Tools 2 track(or any other 2 track main summing bus) stereo out feed that is digital and off set 1/64 a second delay, and now it is not live and the eye and ear can't tell the difference.
    it is like the delay system @ deer creek, all the speakers out hanging on the rafters at where the edge of the lawn stars, have to be set on a delay so the sound coming from the stage hits at the same time as the speakers pointed at the crowd in the lawn/grass seats.
    in the music biz even live, is not "really" live. all the new live digital mixing consoles can pretty much manipulate the sound any way the foh guy wants to make it sound like, even time compression.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    So, you don't want the government to respect the property rights of his neighbors?

You do not believe it the proper role of government to protect property rights?

So much for "meye rye-its" as a neighbor. :D

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Those same people screaming about the requirement for a permit would be suing the same agency for failing to protect them if they didn't require a permit and something bad happened.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Those same people screaming about the requirement for a permit would be suing the same agency for failing to protect them if they didn't require a permit and something bad happened.

Yes, 10 years ago this year was the Great White fire in Rhode Island. Your speculation was confirmed then.

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    Perhaps it would be more palatable, if such a minor detail of ( what should be) local government, wasn't done in the name of " Homeland Security". It also seems, as the suit alleges anyway, that it is not being enforced equally across the board.

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    ummm...have you guys not heard.....doing anything in this country is illegal unless youve asked permission and payed the king....

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Perhaps it would be more palatable, if such a minor detail of ( what should be) local government, wasn't done in the name of " Homeland Security". It also seems, as the suit alleges anyway, that it is not being enforced equally across the board.

I spent 13 years in Emergency Management, and no one hates its tranformation into "Homeland Security" more than I do. That said, it's easy to allege that rules aren't being enforced equally because each venue is pretty much different. A McDonald's restaurant is different from the neighborhood tavern, both in layout, and - probably - construction. Therefore different fire codes apply.

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    You lost my interest when you said: "fire protection and safety." Having friends who are Fire Marshals with various local fire departments, we've discussed the safety aspects involved with live music and the overcrowding that frequently results. Local FDs and IN Fire Marshal (a division of Homeland Security) have plenty of disaster scenarios elsewhere to give them incentive to require review of the venues where live music is being held in order to minimize the chances of people getting trampled or dying in case of a fire. Sorry if it interferes with your wa.

[Like]

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    If you set up your enemy as government, then you will claim everything it does is wrong, no matter how logical.

There is no room for a proper role of government.

Life's easy when everything is either "on" of "off", but that's not reality.

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    If you set up your enemy as government, then you will claim everything it does is wrong, no matter how logical.

There is no room for a proper role of government.

Life's easy when everything is either "on" of "off", but that's not reality.

ummmmm.....ok

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I spent 13 years in Emergency Management, and no one hates its tranformation into "Homeland Security" more than I do. That said, it's easy to allege that rules aren't being enforced equally because each venue is pretty much different. A McDonald's restaurant is different from the neighborhood tavern, both in layout, and - probably - construction. Therefore different fire codes apply.

We're not talking about different venues though. He's saying that when he has a DJ or Karaoke in the place no permit is required but when he has live music in that same place, a permit is required.

As quoted above:
    And in the challenge before an administrative law judge, Martin believed the state was not enforcing the law uniformly, only requiring permits for live music instead of electronic or even Karaoke that is also played at the Moon.

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County

According to the article, it doesn't matter what the " layout" is.If it's a " dancehall, cabaret, or nightclub" , a permit is required for "live music". The bar owner alleges that the rule is not enforced for karaoke, but is for a band. I don't know about Muncie, but in our little one horse town , it takes 10 minutes to walk the 30 feet to the bathroom when they have karaoke. If the idea of a permit is for public safety, then any event that results in overcrowding , should be subject to the same requirement.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Without question his arbitrary and capricious argument should be very strong.

Beyond litigation, having the General Assembly sit down and refocus on this matter makes perfect sense.

1. Do we need it?

2. If so, does it make sense?

3. If it makes sense is it being applied fairly and even handedly?

To call a fire code "tyranny" or "statism" is a little overbroad.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Smoking cigarettes is one of the top causes of fires.

Shall we ban cigarette/cigar/pipe smoking in our homes as part of the 'fire code'? Or maybe require a 'permit' to do so?

As long as we apply it fairly and even-handedly, it sounds like many of you would say 'yes'.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Without question his arbitrary and capricious argument should be very strong.

Beyond litigation, having the General Assembly sit down and refocus on this matter makes perfect sense.

1. Do we need it?

What's the principle I'm thinking of for the idea that if you want a bad law repealed, enforce the hell out of it on everyone?

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    So, you don't want the government to respect the property rights of his neighbors?

You do not believe it the proper role of government to protect property rights?

So much for "meye rye-its" as a neighbor. :D

You are taking the position that it should be illegal to strum a guitar in your own building without paid permission, and then give lectures to me about property rights.

Double-plus good! Meeyyee safeeety!!

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I love a society where the responsibility to choose risk is taken care of for me. Then I don't have to worry about the possible negative consequences of being packed into a building like sardines. Somebody else already determined I'm safe therefore I bear no responsibility.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica

1. Do we need it?

Do the "needs" of the collective trump the owner's right to use his property in a manner he sees fit?

Is the rule conducive to a free and voluntary society?

The essence of tyranny is the destruction of property rights. Ownership of your self. Ownership of your labor. Ownership of your land.

When some third party is demanding permission to "allow" the "owner" to do things on their own property, it is absolutely statist.

I suppose property taxes aren't so bad either? Even though they turn the owner into a vassal, paying rent for life to the feudal lord.

Top Bottom