• Status
    Not open for further replies.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Personally I could care less about the counseling, now the resources, that depends on who is paying for them.

caring-continuum.jpg

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I liked your answer before the edit, where you were being judgmental about his question.

Yep, knee-jerk reaction which I immediately redacted. But since you brought it up, I still think it was ridiculous to ask if I somehow screened students seeking the shelter of a safezone based on whom I deemed worthy. It goes against everything that safezone stands for.

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    Yep, knee-jerk reaction which I immediately redacted. But since you brought it up, I still think it was ridiculous to ask if I somehow screened students seeking the shelter of a safezone based on whom I deemed worthy. It goes against everything that safezone stands for.

I apologize, I am not overly diplomatic in nature and generally not very sensitive on a personal level which often overflows in my general disregard for the feelings of others...

You initial description made it sounds as if these zones were LGBT safezones... I was seeking clarification. Personally, I didn't find anything snarky in the way your original response read. But again, I'm not an overly sensitive individual...

:dunno:

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    I would agree with your assessment of the mental health aspect. The transgender individual I worked with previously was one of those persons that even before his 'transition' gave you the creeps. The most likely candidate for showing up at the office with a black rifle and killing everyone. This wasn't just my perception of this person. Everyone had issues with this person and it often came up during staff meetings his irrational behaviors and potential indicators for violence.

You are trying to say that transgender people will all eventually grab a black rifle and shoot up their workplace?

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    So, AA&E, you will argue that one bad gun owner doesn't represent the entire group, but one quirky transgender represents them all :scratch:

i don't understand how a description of one individual's demeanor gets morphed into a blanket criticsm of all individuals with the same sexual orientation.

i didn't interpret an inference that "all" transgender people were creepy - simply the one the poster had direct contact with.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Sexual orientation is who you are attracted to.
    Gender identity is who you are. Period. Full stop. End of sentence.

Nope ..nada..... And you have no definitive FACTS to prove you're point..
    Period. Stop..End of sentence.

And I find it interesting that you had no response to the fact that Mental Health Doctors are involved in all aspects of the road traveled with a transgendered person. If its as simple as what you are saying why are the shrinks even involved.
    Tell me as a safe-zone adviser were Mental health professionals involved ?

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana

And I find it interesting that you had no response to the fact that Mental Health Doctors are involved in all aspects of the road traveled with a transgendered person. If its as simple as what you are saying why are the shrinks even involved.

Well, in the first place, I am the safezone advisor, not Cathy. In the second place, there were all sorts of referral resources available to ALL students who utilized safezone. Medical, religious, economic, social, and yes, mental health. But as I said before, the safezone concept is not limited to only LGBT students. It is open to anyone.

Last edited:

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Sexual orientation is who you are attracted to.
    Gender identity is who you are. Period. Full stop. End of sentence.

Agreed. And the fact that sexual orientation is still being dragged into a discussion of gender identity goes to show how ignorant some people are of the difference.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    You're being deliberately obtuse... Sexual orientation and gender identification are two completely different topics.

While we're on the topic of differences you're having trouble with, Cathy is not Snapdragon.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Well, in the first place, I am the safezone advisor, not Cathy. In the second place, there were all sorts of referral resources available to ALL students who utilized safezone. Medical, religious, economic, social, and yes, mental health. But as I said before, the safezone concept is not limited to only LGBT students. It is open to anyone.

Now after a quick googlefu that's not what I found.
    It seems the " safe zone is a place where one can feel free to talk about being lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, questioning, allied, asexual or intersex without fear of criticism or hatred. It is a place where one can feel not only supported, but affirmed and valued.

Strait heterosexual seems to be missing from the college sites I looked at.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom