• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I'd go back to San Antonio, TX. Probably live out in the Hill Country. On the border between the desert and the lowlands, so the humidity is not high while not being quite a desert either. San Antonio and Austin have a lot to offer as cities. They did have a low cost of living too.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    The older I get, the less I like heat and humidity. When I was younger, I lived near New Orleans for about 1.5 yrs. I loved Louisiana then. Going shrimping, crabbing, and fishing in the bayou country was awesome. It was there that I shot my first 12 GA shotgun.
    About 8 yrs ago, my husband and I very nearly moved to eastern TN, house on the market, looking at houses there, etc. Things just didn't seem to be working out well, like it was not meant to be, and I am glad we stayed in Indiana.

olhorseman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Middle of nowhere NC
    We are actually moving most of our stuff to North Carolina in 1 week. Just bought a log cabin in the middle of 26 acres, 10 miles outside of Nowhere, N.C. Only one neighbor within a 2 mile radius. The driveway to the cabin is 1/2 mile long.
    35 minutes to the beach and 45 minutes to grandson and daughter.

First project - backstop!!

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Eastern TN was always my standard answer, but a fishing buddy retired and moved to Homosassa FL. After visiting and spending a week fishing that area with him, I'm going to have to call it a toss up.

pack-indy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Shoshone NF
    Virginia - Born and raised there so it's my roots. It is warmer there but they still see 4 seasons, which I'm a fan of. Remember many times wearing shorts of Christmas. Got mountains on one side of the state and beach on the other and everything in between. If I moved have it would be southeast VA or South-central VA.

My thoughts exactly. I was in Lynchburg for a time and loved it. Good people, lots of things to do (mountains, ocean, historic sites...DC if you dare), cost of living wont kill you etc. I'd move back if we were closer to family.

sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    I reminded her that while the weather got warmer the further south you went, the number of unpleasant bugs and snakes went up as well.

This is one of my major concerns, as I totally hate to even see a ****ing snake! :ar15:<<<-- Flame Thrower

This past Winter sucked big time. Factoring in the uprising of criminal events in Lafayette. They say this coming Winter is going to be another bad one. And if so, I'll be about ready to make the move.

I'm thinking TX, AZ and FL are out for various reasons.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    If you were to move South for warmer weather, which state would you pick?
    A short list of where/why would be great. If you have a southern state you'd avoid, please list it as well.
    Personally I'd be more of a person to move NORTH for more winter. I would look in North or South Dakota as I am more wanting to get land that isn't all that in need of taking care of and a high desert wold suit me fine. Furthermore the Dakotas aren't high on anyone's list of places to live so it provides lower cost for land. Other states I would consider are Idaho, Montana (though it is being taken over by CA "Stars" and moving toward Libertardom) and that's it. Gun laws start sucking if you go to some of the other Northern states. The Dakotas though are my frontrunners and should I come into money to do it I will move in an instant...

The South makes me sick really. Not only does the weather suck IMO but the constant chant of the South Gonna Do It Again makes me ill. Not to mention all the Confederate Flags. Get over it, you LOST and you wouldn't make it w/o the North so you Ain't Gonna Even TRY to do it again. :nuts:

SO, IF I were to answer the OP it would be Arizona, as close to the border as I was able to get. :ar15:

Last edited:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Many don't realize that many of the larger cities in Tennessee are crime ridden. You get around Memphis, Jackson, and even Nashville, it's little different than being in any big city you hear about in the news all the time. I wouldn't want to live around any of the touristy areas like Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge/etc. either...too many DAMN yankees.

FIFY!:rockwoot:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    My plan is to retire to Tennessee on a lake somewhere with enough land to have a decent gun range. Lakefront property is much more reasonable than here, winters are milder, but still have the four seasons. Probably would lean towards eastern TN, but not too close to Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Warthog, my son lives in Grand Forks, ND. He loves it!

For me, I have had the opportunity to move around a little in life. Born in Michigan, lived in Ohio, New York, and Virginia. Now Indiana. I spent 25 years traveling all over the country with extensive time spent throughout all of the states east of the Mississippi.

Most of the country has very nice places to live, play, visit and work. But as I get older I realize more and more that I am a true Midwesterner at heart and though I like visiting other places, I really like being in the Midwest. I would consider TN as the weather is good and the people are still reasonable with at least a little intelligence.(response to OP question:))

For me, the Midwest has a cost of living I can afford, great people with good work ethics and a depending on where you live, a variety of things to do. I could go on and on about areas of the country that I love visiting, especially on business trips and why I would not want to live there, but this post is already getting wordy.:)

Top Bottom