If you criticize a black person you are racist.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by edporch
    This tactic is just a variation of the same old "ad hominem" attacks on the character of an intellectual opponent when somebody is unable to intellectually defend their ideas.

I'll have to disagree and say the tactic as reported in the story is a whole different level of stupidity.

How do they even get there?

OK, I'll agree with you without any problem.
    I was wrong and underestimated their stupidity. :D

JS1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 12, 2012
    It saddens me to acknowledge this, but Idiocracy was prophetic. The evidence for this is all around us.

straid

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    And the stupidity goes on and on and on....

Are we there yet?
    I always find it best to walk them through it and make them think.

First, I ask them to define racism. It is a rare individual that can do that. Then I ask them to define race. Almost none of them can do that, either. After that, I ask them how many races, humans can be categorized into. By now, they have blank looks. I continue to grill them further, until they either have nowhere to go with their ridiculous argument or a lightbulb goes off in their head.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Seems to work for W supporters where Iraq is concerned.

Apples and oranges. I am not convinced that the intelligence was entirely bad, especially given the things we did find. I am still not convinced that invasion was the proper response to that information. In this case, the administration's annointed spokeswoman gave faulty information regarding an event that had been watched in real time and addressed (or rather not addressed) in a most reprehensible way. I find it highly suspect that she did not know the truth, and also find it to speak volumes that in the case she did not know the truth that Obama is not getting roasted for deliberately sending her out armed with falsehoods. It certainly is not the fault of our members of Congress that she got left holding the bag one way or the other.

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    People should research the info themselves before opening their mouths. We seem to be getting away from the issue of what happened and go after them ..........Too much time spent on he said ,she said. We have four good people dead and not doing nothing about it.

This is exactly the point! Make a huge deal out of some tiny issue to draw attention away from he real issue. When any time gets spent on the real issues with the right people involved we will discover what is so intensely being withheld!

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    :rolleyes:

I'm sure that there are a few people that could have abused it, but to call all Rhodes Scholars draft dodgers is ridiculous. It's an honor to be bestowed upon some of the best and brightest our country has to offer.

Seriously, there are two points to take into consideration. First is that this is equally preposterous to the trend of seeing racism in most anything anyone says. The race hucksters have made twists and stretches every bit this unreasonable. Second, given the origins of the Rhodes Scholarships and the original purpose that doesn't seem to have changed much other than in group loyalties over time, I find myself split between recognizing that they are generally among the best and brightest, but have a difficult time trusting them.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF

I'm sure that there are a few people that could have abused it, but to call all Rhodes Scholars draft dodgers is ridiculous. It's an honor to be bestowed upon some of the best and brightest our country has to offer.

Many of the best and brightest in our country would probably never be considered for a Rhodes. I would hazard a guess that many exceptional Americans, intelligent to boot, never made it to or through university.

Solitaire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Indy

There is a certain segment of society that prides itself on its ignorance and considers intellectualism and the seeking of knowledge as things to be mocked and ridiculed. Sad, but true.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Seriously, there are two points to take into consideration. First is that this is equally preposterous to the trend of seeing racism in most anything anyone says. The race hucksters have made twists and stretches every bit this unreasonable. Second, given the origins of the Rhodes Scholarships and the original purpose that doesn't seem to have changed much other than in group loyalties over time, I find myself split between recognizing that they are generally among the best and brightest, but have a difficult time trusting them.
    My statement about Rhodes Scholars has NOTHING to do with race.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I don't think calling a politician "incompetent," is racial. It's commonly used to describe bad politicians.

Now, starting a thread about this nonsense, not racial either, but...........

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    There is a certain segment of society that prides itself on its ignorance and considers intellectualism and the seeking of knowledge as things to be mocked and ridiculed. Sad, but true.

I believe you miss the point. Intellect, like any other tool, can be used for good or evil. I have a problem with people like Richard Lugar and Bill Clinton who are in fact extremely bright and use that to my detriment.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Originally Posted by Hajisc
    People should research the info themselves before opening their mouths. We seem to be getting away from the issue of what happened and go after them ..........Too much time spent on he said ,she said. We have four good people dead and not doing nothing about it.

This is exactly the point! Make a huge deal out of some tiny issue to draw attention away from he real issue. When any time gets spent on the real issues with the right people involved we will discover what is so intensely being withheld!

This is the main thrust of the strategy. These are just well worn ploys to obfuscate until another hurricane or celebrity scandal or theater shooting comes along to divert everybodies' attention.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Many of the best and brightest in our country would probably never be considered for a Rhodes. I would hazard a guess that many exceptional Americans, intelligent to boot, never made it to or through university.

And many dumb ones did.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    My statement about Rhodes Scholars has NOTHING to do with race.

I understand that. My point revolved entirely upon nonsensical connections between a description and completely unconnected qualities that someone else arbitrarily assigns to it. Case in point, calling an incompetent individual incompetent is not racist any more than calling someone a Rhodes Scholar is a backhanded way of calling him a draft dodger.

Top Bottom