If the republican primary were today, who would you vote for?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • If the republican primary were today, who gets your vote?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

HHollow

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2012
    Mods, if anyone here picks Trump, please make a note of who it was.\
    Because reasons.
    Thats-a-Paddlin.png

I would vote for Trump but do not like him. However, he is the only one who speaks plainly anout things most voters agree on. Find me another candidate that does this and I will switch.

Trump is no Reagan, but Ronnie did call it like he saw it. Recall the USSR was termed "the evil empire".

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Who would decide which jobs to axe? Anyone with self-interests (lawmakers) would make the decision process inherently corrupt. They would all stand to lose something, but are too worried about reelection than the needed cuts.

At a practical level, you are right. I would start with the standard that if it is not in Article I, Section 8 of the Constitution, the government should not be doing it. The BATF would be first to go, since its primary function is a direct violation of the Constitution. The Departments of Education, Energy, Health and Human Services, Commerce, and Housing and Urban Development would be among the first to go. All of these are functions properly reserved to the states and private industry. After that, I would start looking at less obvious tentacles of federal government, either eliminating entire subdivisions of government or shrinking and stuffing them back into their boxes.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Yeah, that is surprising to me, too. I don't even recall when Trump became a Republican, but he is the flavor of the day.

Heard an interview with Glenn Beck on the radio and he made a good point, speaking to Trump's bona fides as a conservative. He said you never hear him speak about The Constitution and its importance to him. He is correct, and first and foremost i would like my next president to be a Constitutionalist.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Heard an interview with Glenn Beck on the radio and he made a good point, speaking to Trump's bona fides as a conservative. He said you never hear him speak about The Constitution and its importance to him. He is correct, and first and foremost i would like my next president to be a Constitutionalist.

I can see more than one potential explanation:

1. Trump realizes that 'Constitution' is a dog whistle word to left of center voters and is trying to draw support for himself, not for a future opponent.

2. Trump just really isn't into the Constitution. That said, his general ideas are more in line with it than what we have experienced on either side of the aisle since Reagan.

3. At minimum, Trump has shown no hostility toward the Constitution as we see from assorted others who generally appear to consider it an obstacle to work around rather than a standard by which to govern.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

I can see more than one potential explanation:

1. Trump realizes that 'Constitution' is a dog whistle word to left of center voters and is trying to draw support for himself, not for a future opponent.

2. Trump just really isn't into the Constitution. That said, his general ideas are more in line with it than what we have experienced on either side of the aisle since Reagan.

3. At minimum, Trump has shown no hostility toward the Constitution as we see from assorted others who generally appear to consider it an obstacle to work around rather than a standard by which to govern.

As an entrepreneur, I'd suggest he's not much of a fan of rules. You can't get the things done that he's gotten done by adhering strictly to the rules. That's not to say he won't use them to his advantage or that won't do what he has to do from being thrown in jail. But if you're looking for a guy that will measure every plan he wants to pursue by whether it's an enumerated power or that it respects the Bill of Rights and the other amendments, Trump's not that guy.

ETA: He reminds me of a political version of a Bill O'Reilly. As long as he's lambasting "the enemy" and championing causes you like and believe in, he seems to be right. But O'Reilly is no friend to the Constitution, at least not a strict original meaning reading of it...it's just that when he's on the right side of an argument, his populist seeking self happens to sync up with what many people folks are thinking or feeling--same with Trump.

Last edited:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    As an entrepreneur, I'd suggest he's not much of a fan of rules. You can't get the things done that he's gotten done by adhering strictly to the rules. That's not to say he won't use them to his advantage or that won't do what he has to do from being thrown in jail. But if you're looking for a guy that will measure every plan he wants to pursue by whether it's an enumerated power or that it respects the Bill of Rights and the other amendments, Trump's not that guy.

ETA: He reminds me of a political version of a Bill O'Reilly. As long as he's lambasting "the enemy" and championing causes you like and believe in, he seems to be right. But O'Reilly is no friend to the Constitution, at least not a strict original meaning reading of it...it's just that when he's on the right side of an argument, his populist seeking self happens to sync up with what many people folks are thinking or feeling--same with Trump.

No disagreement here, but much as I dislike O'Reilly, I would rather have him in charge than, say, Keith Olbermann.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Posted on 22 Aug 15.

Just to update as of the average of the polls today all of the candidates I posted originally are still in the top ten (10.)

That said, Kasich, Huckabee, and Paul are all TIED on the bottom at 4.3%. The next closest is Christie at 3.3%, so it looks likely that unless Christie (or anyone below him) makes major progress the original top ten (10) are going to be there for awhile.

Also, as of today Trump is still in the lead at 22%, with the next closest being Bush at 10.7% and Carson at 9.7%.

That is all.

Doug

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    Jamil asked for a poll, so here is the top ten (10) candidates.

Please do try to be serious here just like in the voting booth, so we can understand where people truly stand. We may be surprised by the results.

The candidates are listed in alphabetical order with the ten (10) highest ranking in the polls as of 18 Aug 15.

Regards,

Doug

Does my vote, just now, still count?

The title said "today" and it is now today!?

Oh, and you mean we don't get to vote twice? Like in the real primaries? My bad, that's the other party....

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Does my vote, just now, still count?

The title said "today" and it is now today!?

Oh, and you mean we don't get to vote twice? Like in the real primaries? My bad, that's the other party....

Read the rules!:nono: You only get to vote twice if you're dead (or in Chicago).:shady:

Doug

Top Bottom