• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Then I'll put it to you plainly. Did gun owners have more right just prior to Obama than they do now, yes or no?

That is a very disingenuous question. No real change. Just because he didn't go into a gun-banning spree that doesn't make him a friend of the Second Amendment. Further, his statements on the matter are not encouraging. As I see it, he simply has not felt like taking on that political battle, at least not yet. No change is not an improvement. He is simply leaving the unacceptable at a stable level of being unacceptable, just as Romney is likely to do given the opportunity, again reinforcing the observation that the differences between the two are marginal. So far, I might add, little difference from GWB in this regard as well.

hacksawfg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hopefully not Genera
    I agree with you that we need to start looking at the actual bill that pasted. It is not creating government run health care, it is creating government mandated Healthcare. people that think that the government taking over everything in our lives, which may be true to some extent.

The main issue is that it gives the government authority to tax you if you don't have healthcare.

In other words, the government can now tax you based on what it deems "responsible" behavior. What happens if next the government says "Hey you know what? Lots of people get killed by guns. We're not going to say 'you can't buy guns,' but it's not infringing on people's RKBA to say 'in addition to the background check phone call, now you have to pay a $50 "tax" for each background check, unless of course you sign up for our brand-new federal gun-owner registration. Want to buy ammo? Fine, here's a government levied $20 tax per box, unless of course you register with the government as a gun owner. Supreme Court says it's legal, we're not restricting your rights, just taxing your ability to exercise them."

"Oh yeah, we had to hire a lot of extra IRS agents, so keep your receipts until tax time or sign up for the registration."

I mean, apply this to anything, driving without insurance, buying "obscene" materials, etc. It just starts here.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    The main issue is that it gives the government authority to tax you if you don't have healthcare.

In other words, the government can now tax you based on what it deems "responsible" behavior. What happens if next the government says "Hey you know what? Lots of people get killed by guns. We're not going to say 'you can't buy guns,' but it's not infringing on people's RKBA to say 'in addition to the background check phone call, now you have to pay a $50 "tax" for each background check, unless of course you get are sign up for our federal gun-owner registration. Want to buy ammo? Fine, here's a government levied $20 tax per box, unless of course you register with the government as a gun owner. Supreme Court says it's legal."

Absolutely true! It also seems to turn on the Supreme Court's idea of redefining a penalty as a tax even though the law defined it as a penalty. Just think, in another thread people were treating me like I was crazy for having a serious concern regarding allowing the .gov the authority to redefine language.

I would also point out that the Constitution specifically lists the reasons for which the .gov may levy taxes and extorting behavior is not in the list.

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    If I had a $1 for every post on Ingo that talked about some "backdoor whispered comment" from one side or the other, I'd have enough money to trounce both these loser.

Seriously guys, they're both liars, thieves, and will do their best to screw us over.

hacksawfg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hopefully not Genera
    I hear you party politics and politic pressure will prevent most legislation from making it through, except some small ticket items. However, the presidential race is really not what is important it is the more important to control the House and Senate.

Possibly, although I'll rebut with the fact that this president (I use that term loosely) has certainly not been afraid to issue executive orders when it is politically expedient. Of course, Republicans in their infinite wisdom, will no doubt respond in kind if they are elected president because "Well, they did it to us."

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I would have to conclude that if Obama gets elected, it will be more of the same, only like the song about the little red wagon, the second verse with be a little bit louder and a whole lot worse. If Romney wins, unfortunately it will be a matter of "Meet the new boss. Just like the old boss."

Top Bottom