• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    This is what I was trying to say. About 200,000 murders have gone unsolved in the United States since 1960, and crime statistics show that each year cold cases grow by about another 6,000. People are getting killed and were still investigating dead eagles. :dunno:

:twocents:

Some people are not worth the investigation....
    Example: dead crackheads, drug dealers, gang members, and other criminal affairs.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    You sir, are welcome to your "perspective".... but it's never gonna line up with mine. More than a few of us on this board tend to have a somewhat personal "perspective" regarding Bald Eagles, not to mention our Colors. Don't preach to us about it. You exercize your First Amendment rights as you see fit, but consider that one's given method of invoking that right, may generate a response that could be neither diplomatic, or tactful. I have very little of either.

Deal with it. :patriot:

My "perspective" was that I'm pretty sure that this was ignorant white trash shooting stuff because he could, NOT someone peeing on the flag. Did you miss the part where I mentioned that I DISAGREE with the court opinions that say that flag burning is a constitutionally protected activity? I never once condoned this idiots activities; perhaps you need to step back and make sure you aren't looking for disagreement where there really isn't any.

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    Some people are not worth the investigation....
    Example: dead crackheads, drug dealers, gang members, and other criminal affairs.

Here is a story I think needs to be read.

Tribute to Kelly

She was murdered in 97 and only a 10k reward was offered for information. They ended up getting the guy but still my point is this. Were spending more money investigating a Eagle than we are humans. Where I come from that is down right appalling. This is my point, not that its a bird v natinal symbol. Were placing crimes against animals over those against humans.

SC_Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Bloomington
    Stupid sure, but come on its a freaking bird. 10k on a reward and its only a 5k fine. :dunno:

Dont the cops have murders they can investigate instead of freaking dead birds!!!!!!! And meanwhile the methlabs keep cooking, gangs keep killing, and cars keep getting stolen. Why are we investigating a FREAKING DEAD BIRD.

Ok sorry I said that twice but I feel kinda strongly about placing cases involving dead animals above actual crimes (A dog could have attacked it for all they know).

Next well be investigating coyotes stealing roadkill from the vultures. :xmad: :wallbash:

:ranton:

Please read the following, it explains above a little better.

I've read your follow-up posts to this comment and all the others who have chimed in as well. Make no mistake, it's not a FREAKING DEAD BIRD any more than our flag is a FREAKING PILE OF CLOTH. I too wondered why there would be a $10,000 reward posted and only a $5,000 fine (seemed like a $5,000 fine on top of the reward would be smarter). My only conclusion was that the prosecutor CORRECTLY used his discretion in putting such a high reward in place to show the importance of stopping this sort of crime.

By your own comments, this sends a very strong message about the importance of our national bird and the laws that protect it. I'm not a fan of all the laws that 'protect' eagles, such as the ones that say you have to close part of your campground if eagles decide to build a nest there (in spite of the fact that the campground was fully occupied when the eagles determined it was a good spot in the first place), but shooting a Bald Eagle is not at all different from burning a flag in my NOT so humble opinion on this matter. Personally, a $5,000 fine is not enough and I am thrilled that no expense was spared to bring this @##*)@# to justice.

As a photographer, I've shot MANY eagles over the years...but with a camera for the purpose of sharing them with others...
    3895955253_3a84f6b163_m.jpg

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    22lr: I see your point about the money. But, this arguement isn't about the money. Wanton killing of Bald Eagles is considered an act against the people of America. Individual murders are usually very personnal. Some murders (most?) do not have any rewards offered for information, and yet are still investigated and solved.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    22lr: I see your point about the money. But, this arguement isn't about the money. Wanton killing of Bald Eagles is considered an act against the people of America. Individual murders are usually very personnal. Some murders (most?) do not have any rewards offered for information, and yet are still investigated and solved.

From a legal standpoint that is dead wrong. Read the case below:

Texas v. Johnson, 491 U.S. 397

While I DISAGREE with the above case, the current state of the law in this country is that acts of disrespect to this country, such as flag mutilation, are protected under the 1st Amendment and cannot be criminally prosecuted. The only legal basis allowed for the federal protection of Bald Eagles is conservation etc.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    22lr, from your posts....

...This is my point, not that its a bird v natinal symbol. Were placing crimes against animals over those against humans.

...This is what I was trying to say. About 200,000 murders have gone unsolved in the United States since 1960, and crime statistics show that each year cold cases grow by about another 6,000. People are getting killed and were still investigating dead eagles. :dunno: ...

...Dont the cops have murders they can investigate instead of freaking dead birds!!!!!!! And meanwhile the methlabs keep cooking, gangs keep killing, and cars keep getting stolen. Why are we investigating a FREAKING DEAD BIRD. ...

I take it that you place the highest priority on solving crimes against people. And that ALL available resources should be used for that endeavor. Is that right?

Some quotes from the newspaper article...

Officials with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service said Kronable admitted he noticed a bald eagle feeding on a deer carcass in a field on Degerlia Hollow Road near Hardin, ...

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service opened an investigation of both killings...

"This case shows how valuable information from the public can be," said U.S. Fish and Wildlife Agent Jason Bak. "We likely would not have solved this case without public involvement."...

Do you, 22lr, use your car payment monies to pay the electric bill? Or do you use the money for the water bill to pay for groceries? This crime was investigated by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. They really don't get into standard law enforcement, to the best of my knowledge. I know that if the game warden ever tried to hand me a speeding ticket while I am on I-70, I would laugh. Murder and drug investigations are not part of fish and game. So why be angry about an agency doing the job they are supposed to do?

If the F&G agents are to start investigating murders et al, why shouldn't the FBI/CIA/TSA/US Postal Inspection Service/DEA/Secret Service/IRS CID....I cain't think of any more FEDERAL law enforcement agencies right now... why shouldn't those agents and officers be made to drop what cases they are working on and start sharing the case loads of unsolved murders?

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Cry about the money spent in the Bald Eagle case, AFTER you rationalize the tens of thousands of dollars spent to house, feed, provide internet service, air conditioning, libraries, clothing, FREE MEDICAL CARE, and other quasi-benefits to the scumbags lolling about in our vaunted prison system. That Eagle is much more deserving of my respect than anything else mentioned in this post.

By the way Fargo....... you could fill this forum with things that are legally "dead wrong".... that does NOT make them ethically or morally right.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    This crime was investigated by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. They really don't get into standard law enforcement, to the best of my knowledge. I know that if the game warden ever tried to hand me a speeding ticket while I am on I-70, I would laugh.

I wouldn't be laughing. DNR officers in Indiana have all the powers of other LEO's and write speeding tickets on a regular basis. Also, USFWS does get into drug investigations on a regular basis due to the large number of marijuana plots and meth labs which are set up on property under their control.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Cry about the money spent in the Bald Eagle case, AFTER you rationalize the tens of thousands of dollars spent to house, feed, provide internet service, air conditioning, libraries, clothing, FREE MEDICAL CARE, and other quasi-benefits to the scumbags lolling about in our vaunted prison system. That Eagle is much more deserving of my respect than anything else mentioned in this post.

I agree, but I don't recall ever defending any of the things you mention.

Best,

Joe

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    I wouldn't be laughing. DNR officers in Indiana have all the powers of other LEO's and write speeding tickets on a regular basis. Also, USFWS does get into drug investigations on a regular basis due to the large number of marijuana plots and meth labs which are set up on property under their control.

Yep, that they do. Still, I would have to laugh. It's bad enough to get a speeding ticket, but to tell your friends it was issued by the game warden is just over the top....I would be laughing. Also, since you split the hare first ( :rolleyes: )... I was saying that F&G main priority was just that, fish and game laws.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    Besides, the argument that there are other crimes really is irrelevant. Most of those will be unsolved whether we arrest some bleepety bleep for shooting an eagle. It sounds like someone turned him in for it. So it probably didn't keep them away that long anyway from those cases you are concerned about. I can guarantee you that no officer said, gee we got a tip on a murderer and one on the eagle shooter, what should we do?

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    If the F&G agents are to start investigating murders et al, why shouldn't the FBI/CIA/TSA/US Postal Inspection Service/DEA/Secret Service/IRS CID....I cain't think of any more FEDERAL law enforcement agencies right now... why shouldn't those agents and officers be made to drop what cases they are working on and start sharing the case loads of unsolved murders?
    Im done with the pissing match. Ive gotten several messages saying how thugs dont deserve to get there murder solved anyways. If yall seriously think human life is more important ill be done and stop arguing my case.

Im as American as anyone here but I still place value on human life over a animal. I guess all im seeing is the fact were spending more reward money on a eagle than we are on murder investigations. That kinda pisses the crap out of me.

Last edited:

Jay

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    And by the way, when one of your family members gets killed in cold blood lets hear you say that eagles are worth more reward than capturing the bastard who killed your family. And im going to go cool down and take a chill pill now.

My 41 yr-old sister was murdered (shot in the head) in 1994, in Round Rock, TX...... about 7 miles from my parents home, leaving two minor children. No reward was ever offered, and the murderer was caught months later. He was a 16 yr-old gang-banger, who shot her after she gave him a ride, as an initiation into the gang.

You have no monopoly on family tragedy.... deal with it. And don't equate it with the death of an Eagle.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Stupid sure, but come on its a freaking bird. 10k on a reward and its only a 5k fine. :dunno:

Dont the cops have murders they can investigate instead of freaking dead birds!!!!!!! And meanwhile the methlabs keep cooking, gangs keep killing, and cars keep getting stolen. Why are we investigating a FREAKING DEAD BIRD. .

It looks like you've been flamed enough so I wont go down that road .

Just think before you post . If you speak when your angry , chances are you will regret your words .

Jay

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I remember how happy we were when this guy was pardoned and his gun rights returned:

The gent you linked to did NOT intentionally kill three Bald Eagles. The man referenced in this thread's original post DID intentionally kill the Eagle. The difference should be readily apparent to most folks.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Let's compare the killing of a Bald Eagle to a cold case murder investigation.

The USF&W opened up a investigation and people supplied info that was valuable to the arrest and conviction of the said stupid individual. Heck he probably helped the cause by opening up his mouth and bragging about it, case closed.

Now, cold case murder is cold for a number of reasons, people not stepping up and no clues being the main two.
    You don't get a lot of people going around bragging that they just capped a person down the street.

Some people stepped up and turned this guy in on the killing of the Bald Eagle....

On a murder some people will go to extremes to stay out of prison, like harming the informer or threatening family members, and if it's a gang related killing it's not so easy to finger some one and keep yourself safe from 30 or so wannabe's.
    People get scared when it comes to the safety of the lives of family members and themselves, and I imagine the Witness Protection Program is just not that available to everyone as it seems on over glorified crime shows like Law & Order and such.

You can only prosecute if you have info and if people aren't willing to give it up, then the case goes unsolved, end of story.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    The gent you linked to did NOT intentionally kill three Bald Eagles. The man referenced in this thread's original post DID intentionally kill the Eagle. The difference should be readily apparent to most folks.

:+1:

Not the same thing by any measure.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake

How is that even a comparison?

I have nothing valuable to add to this thread. If I said what is on my mind I'd probably be dished the hammer.

While I won't be handing out any neg reps for people with a different opinion than me, I still reserve the right to disagree with them.

Top Bottom