• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Can't say how I really feel since this is a family friendly forum...

Killing of bald eagle results in $5,000 fine » Evansville Courier & Press

HARDIN, Ill. — A federal judge has ordered a Hardin man to pay a $5,000 fine for killing a bald eagle.
    Jerry Kronable, 26, entered a guilty plea earlier this month to a single charge of violating the Bald and Golden Eagle Protection Act. The incident happened Jan. 17.
    Officials with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service said Kronable admitted he noticed a bald eagle feeding on a deer carcass in a field on Degerlia Hollow Road near Hardin, stopped his vehicle and shot the bird with a .22-caliber rifle. The eagle was able to fly to a nearby tree, but died soon thereafter, falling onto the roadside where it was discovered.
    In an unrelated case, the mutilated carcass of another bald eagle was found about 60 miles south of Hardin a week earlier. A $10,000 reward was offered for information on the killing.
    The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service opened an investigation of both killings, receiving many tips from the public.
    'Valuable informationfrom the public'
    "This case shows how valuable information from the public can be," said U.S. Fish and Wildlife Agent Jason Bak. "We likely would not have solved this case without public involvement."
    In addition to a $5,000 fine, Kronable was ordered to forfeit the rifle he used to shoot the eagle.
    Although the bald eagle was removed from the federal Endangered Species List in 2007, eagles still are protected by other state and federal laws. One of those laws is the Bald and Golden Eagle Protection Act that prohibits the taking or possession of a bald or golden eagle.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    What a dumb idea, shooting such a large bird with a .22 anyways. And to not have enough sense to respect that awesome Bald Eagle, a symbol of power, grace, fierceness and agility.... no words...

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    Please read the following, it explains above a little better.

Well I guess not to many people feel the same way as me on that. I do apologize if I came across sounding like a ignorant jacka#@.

This is what I was trying to say. About 200,000 murders have gone unsolved in the United States since 1960, and crime statistics show that each year cold cases grow by about another 6,000. People are getting killed and were still investigating dead eagles.
    dunno.gif

Im not trying to say the eagle is unimportant or that its a stupid national symbol (because the Bald Eagle makes for a kick butt cool poster), but its a bird and humans are being killed in much higher numbers. I always thought human murder cases take precedence over everything else.

Why not put a bulletin out asking for information but using that 10k to help find a murderer, or child molester. Im sure people would still come forward (I would and most of yall still would) and give information if they had any.

We are truly in a bad state when well give a eagle a 10k reward but just ask for people to come forward for a murder investigation.
    twocents.gif

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    To some of us, or maybe just me, it isn't just a dead bird - it's our national symbol.

Similarly a U.S. flag can be considered only a piece of cloth - to me, it, too is another symbol of our country.

I am a disabled veteran who was fighting for that "dead bird".

{Shakes head and walks off...}

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    To some of us, or maybe just me, it isn't just a dead bird - it's our national symbol.

Similarly a U.S. flag can be considered only a piece of cloth - to me, it, too is another symbol of our country.

:+1: to you sir! :patriot:

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Stupid sure, but come on its a freaking bird. 10k on a reward and its only a 5k fine. :dunno:

Dont the cops have murders they can investigate instead of freaking dead birds!!!!!!! And meanwhile the methlabs keep cooking, gangs keep killing, and cars keep getting stolen. Why are we investigating a FREAKING DEAD BIRD.

Men have given their lives for our country so our flag may fly freely and the American Bald Eagle may soar high over the country from sea to shining sea.

Criticism of calling it a
    FREAKING DEAD BIRD
    Has earned you my misguided person, only the second person I have felt worthy of giving neg rep to, may it be rained down upon you.

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009

+1....and repped
    And a thank you for serving this fine country.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Agreed and reps handed out in both directions. It saddens me to do the negative. I don't like those much.... Hell, I don't like them at all. <also shakes head>

Blessings,
    Bill

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    This story burns my a$$, in more ways than one!
    Evidently some either do not KNOW that the Bald Eagle is our national symbol, or do not care!

Either way, it just turns my stomach.

A few years ago we had some idiot in Lafayette try to STEAL a Bald Eagle from the Columbian Park zoo. Perp cut holes in the cage, and then climbed in to catch it by hand!
    Fortunately he was caught, after having been torn to pieces by the eagle!
    Unfortunately, he injured the eagle bad enough that it died shortly after.

Bald Eagles may NOT be on the federal endangered species list, but it IS our national bird, and I believe it should be protected REGARDLESS!

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Stupid sure, but come on its a freaking bird. 10k on a reward and its only a 5k fine. :dunno:

Dont the cops have murders they can investigate instead of freaking dead birds!!!!!!! And meanwhile the methlabs keep cooking, gangs keep killing, and cars keep getting stolen. Why are we investigating a FREAKING DEAD BIRD.

Ok sorry I said that twice but I feel kinda strongly about placing cases involving dead animals above actual crimes (A dog could have attacked it for all they know).

Next well be investigating coyotes stealing roadkill from the vultures.
    Let's see, do you understand "violation of Federal Law?
    Dogs cannot create bullet holes
    An image of that bird is the only icon authorized to be above the Colors of the United States.

If I refund your site supporter money, will you take your maggot-ridden attitudes elsewhere? How about if I double it?
    S. O. B. doesn't only mean "short on brains"

Hey, after you brush the negative reps off, and before you slither around the forum some more, would you like to play the "woods" game?

Last edited:

glock 27

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2009
    elkhart
    Let's see, do you understand "violation of Federal Law?
    Dogs cannot create bullet holes
    An image of that bird is the only icon authorized to be above the Colors of the United States.

If I refund your site supporter money, will you take your maggot-ridden attitudes elsewhere? How about if I double it?
    S. O. B. doesn't only mean "short on brains"

Hey, after you brush the negative reps off, and before you slither around the forum some more, would you like to play the "woods" game?

I`LL HELP WITH THE REFUND AND THE WOODS GAME!!!!!!!!!

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

Ok sorry I said that twice but I feel kinda strongly about placing cases involving dead animals above actual crimes (A dog could have attacked it for all they know).

As others have said its not just a "dead bird" and I don't think the US Fish and Wildlife Service is responsible for meth labs, gangs and car thefts.

And I'm guessing that having the body of the bird quite possible gives them some reason to suspect that it wasn't just attacked by a dog.

+1 :patriot:

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Lets try to keep this in a bit of perspective here. I doubt this idiot did it to pee on the flag, it sounds to me like he was just a stupid redneck who decided to shoot something because he could. I certainly don't condone it but I don't think it is quite the world ending event that some here seem to be in a tizzy about.

Consider this: 56 years ago the government PAID A BOUNTY TO SHOOT THESE BIRDS! Thats right ladies and gentlemen, the same federal gov't that now hammered this guy was paying out through territorial gov'ts to have these birds shot. Read the link.

Eagles: Wildlife Notebook Series - Alaska Department of Fish and Game

I also find it offensive that this crime is punished much more severely than many crimes that involve human victims and that my tax dollars are funding a 10k reward while thousands of murders of innocents go unpunished with no such reward offered.

If this was done purely as disrespect to this great country I see the point, I just am far from convinced that was the case here. Also consider this as to the political aspect of it; the 1st Amendment has been held to protect political expression such as flag burning. While I and I suspect many others disagree with that opinion; it still is political expression and I am always wary of the feds imposing prior restraint.

Flame away,

Joe

Last edited:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Lets try to keep this in a bit of perspective here. I doubt this idiot did it to pee on the flag, it sounds to me like he was just a stupid redneck who decided to shoot something because he could. I certainly don't condone it but I don't think it is quite the world ending event that some here seem to be in a tizzy about.

Consider this: 50 years ago the government PAID A BOUNTY TO SHOOT THESE BIRDS! Thats right ladies and gentlemen, the same federal gov't that now hammered this guy was paying out through territorial gov'ts to have these birds shot. Read the link.

Eagles: Wildlife Notebook Series - Alaska Department of Fish and Game

I also find it offensive that this crime is punished much more severely than many crimes that involve human victims and that my tax dollars are funding a 10k reward while thousands of murders of innocents go unpunished with no such reward offered.

If this was done purely as disrespect to this great country I see the point, I just am far from convinced that was the case here. Also consider this as to the political aspect of it; the 1st Amendment has been held to protect political expression such as flag burning. While I and I suspect many others disagree with that opinion; it still is political expression and I am always wary of the feds imposing prior restraint.

Flame away,

Joe

I don't like the idea of the flag burning other than as a respectful ceremony for the destruction of a flag no longer in proper condition to represent the country. I do support the 1A and begrudgingly accept that this is a manner of expression and free speech, which is to say that the person so doing cannot be charged with any crime nor can they be lawfully accosted for doing so. HOWEVER....that does not mean that said person so doing cannot have his actions publicized for public ridicule and scorn, nor does it mean any local merchant must continue to allow such a person to continue patronizing his establishment.

With all of that said... The destruction of the bald eagle in the story involved the taking of a life. This is not simply a matter of setting a piece of cloth on fire, but the intentional ending of a life for no good purpose. I am not a hunter, but I do recall that even the IN state law provides for the punishment of "wanton waste".

In addition, I don't think it's your tax money funding the reward. The fine to the dirtbag who did it is $5k and he's not the first to commit that crime. All it takes is two of them to commit a crime like this and get caught and that reward is paid.

Personally, I wouldn't need the reward to convince me. If I had the info, I'd make the call for free and be proud to do it.

ETA: Do note that in the link you provided, the bounty was offered based on false information and was removed for that reason. Nonetheless, when it is necessary for the survival of the species (due to a shrinking food supply, for example)I have no issue with hunting for population control.

I do agree with you that the protection of human life should come first, but not that that should be to the exclusion of the protection of our national symbol. JMHO. :twocents:

Blessings,
    Bill

Last edited:

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    Well I guess not to many people feel the same way as me on that. I do apologize if I came across sounding like a ignorant jacka#@.

This is what I was trying to say. About 200,000 murders have gone unsolved in the United States since 1960, and crime statistics show that each year cold cases grow by about another 6,000. People are getting killed and were still investigating dead eagles. :dunno:

Im not trying to say the eagle is unimportant or that its a stupid national symbol (because the Bald Eagle makes for a kick butt cool poster), but its a bird and humans are being killed in much higher numbers. I always thought human murder cases take precedence over everything else.

Why not put a bulletin out asking for information but using that 10k to help find a murderer, or child molester. Im sure people would still come forward (I would and most of yall still would) and give information if they had any.

We are truly in a bad state when well give a eagle a 10k reward but just ask for people to come forward for a murder investigation. :twocents:

Last edited:

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Lets try to keep this in a bit of perspective here.
    You sir, are welcome to your "perspective".... but it's never gonna line up with mine. More than a few of us on this board tend to have a somewhat personal "perspective" regarding Bald Eagles, not to mention our Colors. Don't preach to us about it. You exercize your First Amendment rights as you see fit, but consider that one's given method of invoking that right, may generate a response that could be neither diplomatic, or tactful. I have very little of either.

Deal with it. :patriot:

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Like others I can't express my true opinion on a family friendly forum.

My late sister and her husband used to work for a larger raptor sanctuary in Colorado where they aided in rehabilitating birds of prey, including bald eagles.

He still carries on a bit and still has his hawk license.

This also reminds me of a side note story that I'll post a thread so I don;t jack this one...

Last edited:
    Top Bottom