Identify yourself as a LCH holder or not?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • williamsburg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Oaklandon
    My personal opinion is never say more than what is needed. It's obvious you are not going to wave your gun around. If you have your LTCH then worry nothing of it unless required by law. Right now Indiana has no such law. Other states do so just as we check condition of carry/recipricocity laws we should check right to inform laws as well.
    For general knowledge Tennessee has a right to inform law. One must inform the officer at the earliest possible chance.

The officer Scutter01 is talking about....

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kassP7zI0qc[/ame]

This guy seems unhinged to say the least.
    Luckily for Ohioans/travelers he was fired last year.
    Canton Cop Daniel Harless Fired For Motorist Abuse | The Truth About Guns

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

Nope. You cannot fire a cop, even if he offers to execute someone.

Fired Canton officer Daniel Harless wins back his job - Canton, OH - CantonRep.com
    “Given the circumstances of that night and the mental status of (Harless), it must be concluded his conduct was defensible,” Graham wrote, referring to the Newton Avenue stop. “The employer lacked just cause to discharge him.”

So, even if a cop is so stressed out that he acts like a lunatic, that is not just cause to remove him from the force.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    The man should be in a cell

According to the arbitrator's ruling, he was just having a bad day, so it's all cool and everyone should just forget about it. But I like hearing everyone tell me about how I should always inform the officer just so it'll calm him down and maybe he won't give me a ticket because I'm such an Honest Joe. :rolleyes:

nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    The more people are aware of firearms in the hands of law abiding citizens, the more normal they will become. This works for police too I would imagine.

The first time they pull over someone legally carrying they may be a bit jumpy but by the XXXth time it should be old hat for them. That should help reduce the anxiety and fear that LEO perceives legal firearm owners exercising their right.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    I am 100% certain that I would never put my hands out the window, and for sure wouldn't make it worse by saying you have a weapon. I would expect any reasonable officer to be going for their weapon the second your hand leaves your window. I would give them the LTCH with the DL, that is the better option if you wish to inform. Others don't inform at all because there is no requirement. And others inform because they think it might get them out of a ticket, and off with a warning for whatever offense was committed.

Also be careful, or IMPD officer Jason Bockting will open up your car door and stick his head and torso in your vehicle :D

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    According to the arbitrator's ruling, he was just having a bad day, so it's all cool and everyone should just forget about it. But I like hearing everyone tell me about how I should always inform the officer just so it'll calm him down and maybe he won't give me a ticket because I'm such an Honest Joe. :rolleyes:

I will remember that excuse if I ever threaten to put 2 rounds into a cop for being a JBT, I am sure the DA and the officers involved in my beating will be very understanding.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Yes, but I have more experience having my own pistol pointed at me by cops that treat a 1911 like apes on 2001.:D

This would be the one reason that I don't want to inform unless it becomes strictly necessary; even though I carry a Glock, I absolutely ABHOR the gun safety and trigger/muzzle discipline of most people who I see interacting with guns on a daily basis. Even though the officer will most likely be familiar with Glocks, I'd still rather not make him handle my own weapon around me while he's nervous jittery and probably angry. Let's just leave everything holstered for everyone's safety.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    The first time they pull over someone legally carrying they may be a bit jumpy but by the XXXth time it should be old hat for them. That should help reduce the anxiety and fear that LEO perceives legal firearm owners exercising their right.

It's not my job to train them. Let them get their touchy-feelies from someone else.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The last time I was pulled over, the officer made a big show of how much he respects the rights of lawful gun owners and went on and on about how he appreciates my rights as an American. He did all of this right after completing his fishing expedition after inventing a reason to pull me over. He was looking for DUI's and when it was obvious that I had not been drinking, he graciously let me off with a warning instead of a citation for the made-up reason he stopped me.

My point exactly. To many are just fishing and a firearm... legally held or not is merely bait.

Cole46845

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2012
    Yikes looks like my dad was right and option A wins with DO NOT INFORM the officer of your weapon. I was just thinking that it would make the officers life easier and them feel safer if hands r out the window and they know I am packing. Seems like a respect thing, and just being up front for everyone's safety. Thanks guys! I will just keep quiet until asked

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Yikes looks like my dad was right and option A wins with DO NOT INFORM the officer of your weapon. I was just thinking that it would make the officers life easier and them feel safer if hands r out the window and they know I am packing. Seems like a respect thing, and just being up front for everyone's safety. Thanks guys! I will just keep quiet until asked

You can still be respectful and professional and not be a d-bag to the cop. Nobody is saying anything else. You can keep your hands where they can see them (on the wheel, for example), but keep your mouth shut unless asked.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You can still be respectful and professional and not be a d-bag to the cop. Nobody is saying anything else. You can keep your hands where they can see them (on the wheel, for example), but keep your mouth shut unless asked.

Good advice. Always show respect and zero attitude. Get through the business at hand with a smile if possible and move on.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Even though the officer will most likely be familiar with Glocks, I'd still rather not make him handle my own weapon around me while he's nervous jittery and probably angry. Let's just leave everything holstered for everyone's safety.

Just wait until you have an Indiana State trooper take a P99 for "safety", wave the pistol all about I-65 and physically jump up and down attempting to get the magazine out of the pistol as he points it at all of Lake County, Indiana.

Every time, every single time you coonfinger, load, or unload a pistol said pistol can discharge whether you want it to or not. Many in and out of law enforcement do not understand this. Heck, just look at how people fight me on INGO about this statment.

Why on earth would anyone want to create an opportunity for a pistol to discharge at the side of the road and hit . . . what, a motorist? My mom? Your mom? A farmer on a tractor? A soccer mom with a stroller? A bicyclist?

I am not going to lie, but I'm not going to endanger myself or others by injecting guns into a traffic infraction. I just want to go home safe. I'm going to relax because:

1. It is just a traffic stop and outside of speeding or going down the wrong way on a one way I am not doing anything wrong.

2. It's just a gun. It is not illegal to carry my guns. It is not a danger to anyone if my guns remain where they are.

3. If the officer does not know about my guns, he cannot hurt himself or others with my guns by attempting to be "safe".

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I was just thinking that it would make the officers life easier and them feel safer if hands r out the window and they know I am packing. Seems like a respect thing, and just being up front for everyone's safety.

The problem is that you are not making anyone's life easier by injecting guns into a traffic stop. You are now creating a dangerous situation by giving someone who make know very little about firearms permission to coonfinger your pistol.

"But it ain't no wheres near hard to unload MEYE ****-tall."

Yes, for you, because you carry it. But not for the officer. Once you see them in full uniform jumping up and down with a P99 you will understand, once you see them point it at themselves and all of Broad Ripple like an ape on 2001, you will understand. You are not making anyone any safe by telling them.

Now that it is unloaded, now you have to reload it. When you load it it can slam fire. (Yes, yes it can, even if your boogerhook is not on the bang switch).

Hands out the window? This ritual submission stuff is just strange. Is this from a movie or television or something?

Is this like The OC? People see Mischa Barton dressing in shorts and flip flops and think that they must dress like that in February, in Indiana? I mean Mischa Barton is smoking hot, but why do you want to do what other states have to do?

Relax. Don't say anything. Don't play 20 questions. Give them your driver's license, your registration, whatever. I know all the cool kids at the cool kids' table in the other states all have to tell the police, but you don't have to.

If all the other cool kids in the other states jumped off a cliff, would you want to as well . . . wait, this is INGO, don't answer that.:laugh:

1nthechmber

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2012
    I recently got pulled over after midnight on 29th and Michigan going the wrong way on a one way in my work vehicle with the company name on it.....so he asked me ...do you know this is a one way? (thinking I was on 30th street.....yes ...he said one way east.....I said what?....yeah...your driving the wrong way......embarrassed I said o.m.g. sorry.....thought I was on 30th....he said yeah I know.....umm do you have any weapons on you....I said oh....yes...he looked surprised and stepped back put his hand near his firearm.,and said you were supposed to tell me that earlier.....I said I have a LTCH....so he asked me to step out and place my hands on the side of the box truck and he pulled it out of the holster and said sit tight.....he took it back to his car,then came and got my licence and LTCH . After 5 min he came back said here you go...be careful this is a bad neighborhood....don't load this till I'm gone.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    If all the other cool kids in the other states jumped off a cliff, would you want to as well . . . wait, this is INGO, don't answer that.:laugh:

NS8BaQA.png

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    35-44.1-2-3 false reporting. You can be arrested for lying to a police officer. You can always choose not to answer the question at all. You always have that right.

I can tell you from experience I and many other officers i worked with are much more likely to give someone a warning if they were open and honest about a firearm in their possession. It shows integrity and an appreciation for officer safety.

False reporting
    Sec. 3. (a) As used in this section, "consumer product" has the meaning set forth in IC 35-45-8-1.
    (b) As used in this section, "misconduct" means a violation of a departmental rule or procedure of a law enforcement agency.
    (c) A person who reports, by telephone, telegraph, mail, or other written or oral communication, that:
    (1) the person or another person has placed or intends to place an explosive, a destructive device, or other destructive substance in a building or transportation facility;
    (2) there has been or there will be tampering with a consumer product introduced into commerce; or
    (3) there has been or will be placed or introduced a weapon of mass destruction in a building or a place of assembly;
    knowing the report to be false, commits false reporting, a Class D felony.
    (d) A person who:
    (1) gives a false report of the commission of a crime or gives false information in the official investigation of the commission of a crime, knowing the report or information to be false;
    (2) gives a false alarm of fire to the fire department of a governmental entity, knowing the alarm to be false;
    (3) makes a false request for ambulance service to an ambulance service provider, knowing the request to be false;
    (4) gives a false report concerning a missing child (as defined in IC 10-13-5-4) or missing endangered adult (as defined in IC 12-7-2-131.3) or gives false information in the official investigation of a missing child or missing endangered adult knowing the report or information to be false;
    (5) makes a complaint against a law enforcement officer to the state or municipality (as defined in IC 8-1-13-3(b)) that employs the officer:
    (A) alleging the officer engaged in misconduct while performing the officer's duties; and
    (B) knowing the complaint to be false; or
    (6) makes a false report of a missing person, knowing the report or information is false;
    commits false informing, a Class B misdemeanor. However, the offense is a Class A misdemeanor if it substantially hinders any law enforcement process or if it results in harm to an innocent person.

I fail to see where I'll be charged under this for lying to a police officer about a firearm in my possession? I'm legal, so no crime is committed, and nobody has reported a crime, and no crime has been witnessed by anybody, so there can't be an official investigation of the commission of a crime ... right?

You appreciate us being honest? We appreciate not having our firearms torn apart before they're given back to us. We appreciate not being berated for carrying a firearm. We appreciate not being threatened. We appreciate not having guns pulled on us and being proned out on the sidewalk just because we're armed (you know, for officer safety and all, when we haven't done anything wrong). There's a lot of things we appreciate that we haven't gotten. So there's a lot of things you appreciate that you simply won't get from many of us because of how we've been treated in the past. You don't like that? Blame some others in your profession. You want to treat us all like we're a threat to you? We'll treat you all like you're a threat to us.

Respect goes both ways. Just like when some scumbag with a LTCH throws it away for all of us; when others in your profession throw it away they throw it away for all of you.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom